Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What bands do you think could last?

Go down 
+9
mc666
XYZ
Getizzyback
Temple of Blood
Svengo
Troublezone
DallasBlack
SlaytanicPOWER
MetalGuy71
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

What bands do you think could last? Empty
PostSubject: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 5:15 pm

You know, actually put in a 25 year career like some of the thrash bands we all love are doing? It's all speculation but I wonder if there are any that will be able to stick around and actually make a go at it after that many years. It would have to be for the love of the music as I don't see too many really making big bucks anymore. I also wonder if any can actually be as big as a Megadeth of Metallica again?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 5:16 pm

Who would have thought Grave Digger, W.A.S.P., and Rage would be around 25 years later? They certainly deserve to be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 5:22 pm

Thanks for that reminder. Now answer the question.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 5:23 pm

I often think the same thing with this new wave of retro-style thrashers. While good, how many will stay in it for the long haul? And not just banging out some tunes in an empty club with one original member, but a band that might actually see some real success?

Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 5:29 pm

I see the odds of the aforementioned conditions occuring at X < 10%
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 5:40 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Thanks for that reminder. Now answer the question.

I think he maybe saying that answering the question is difficult. It's almost impossible to tell who will stick around and who won't especially in this day and age. So many factors (stability of the music industry, changes in trends, attitude of certain band members, finicky fans, etc.) can make or break a band's career. I sure as hell couldn't aswer the question.

Nightwish might. Tuomas has said he would be just as happy to play in front of hundreds of people as he would thousands. Though I know for a fact there are people here who hope they don't last any longer.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 5:47 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
You know, actually put in a 25 year career like some of the thrash bands we all love are doing? It's all speculation but I wonder if there are any that will be able to stick around and actually make a go at it after that many years. It would have to be for the love of the music as I don't see too many really making big bucks anymore. I also wonder if any can actually be as big as a Megadeth of Metallica again?

I don't see any of these newer thrash bands going anywhere near the length of time as the old schoolers.
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 5:49 pm

I couldn't have guessed that Metallica would still be around today much less any newer bands.

There are quite a few that I hope will stick around but if a band I like has made it past five years or so I pretty much call it a good career.
You just can't predict how successful any band is gonna be given the volatility of the music biz and how fickle the public's tastes are.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 6:08 pm

Impossible to tell, the music industry is in such a state of flux who knows what the climate will be like even 5 years from now.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 6:30 pm

And achieve success like the old guard? None.

Play for the love of music to a few dedicated fans as long as they are able? Most.

The new cats for the most part know there is no money in it so as long as they are financially able to do it and have time they will keep going I think. Unless their fans completely leave them and make it not worth their time anymore.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 9:28 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Who would have thought Grave Digger, W.A.S.P., and Rage would be around 25 years later? They certainly deserve to be.

Except for Rage. They should have changed their name in 1990, and let a band with actual anger in their music take it over. Never once have I seen a viola-ist in a "Rage".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 9:33 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I often think the same thing with this new wave of retro-style thrashers. While good, how many will stay in it for the long haul? And not just banging out some tunes in an empty club with one original member, but a band that might actually see some real success?

And, just my opinion, but there are tons of bands that have been around 30 years or more without any success. DayGlo Abortions, Raw Power, DOA, The Vandals, etc. But if you speaking just of thrash bands, well, none of the bands that are here today that were around 25 years ago [and stayed together the whole time] are still playing thrash. Except for Overkill. Maybe Slayer. I have not heard any of their stuff since the 80's.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 10:44 pm

Slayer is definitely still playing thrash, Christ Illusion was their best album since Seasons In The Abyss.

Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 10:55 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

I personally think WASP ended a long time ago, it's another Axl Rose calling
his solo band Guns N' Roses kinda thing.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 10:55 pm

You have to be pretty damn big to be as big as Metallica. I'm going out on a limb and saying no one (metal or non-metal) will ever have the sustained success that Metallica has had (excluding older bands. ie: Maiden, Stones, Van Halen, Ozzy, etc.).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 11:09 pm

xyz wrote:
You have to be pretty damn big to be as big as Metallica. I'm going out on a limb and saying no one (metal or non-metal) will ever have the sustained success that Metallica has had (excluding older bands. ie: Maiden, Stones, Van Halen, Ozzy, Saxon, etc.).
Back to top Go down
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 11:15 pm

UNCLE SAXON wrote:
xyz wrote:
You have to be pretty damn big to be as big as Metallica. I'm going out on a limb and saying no one (metal or non-metal) will ever have the sustained success that Metallica has had (excluding older bands. ie: Maiden, Stones, Van Halen, Ozzy, Saxon, etc.).

Very clever. Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2009 11:36 pm

And this little uncle went~~~~he-he-he-he...all the way home!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 12:43 am

you just can't predict such things. there are bands i'd like to go on 20 more years, but you never can tell. musical climate, integrity, etc all change.

XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 1:04 am

mc666 wrote:
you just can't predict such things. there are bands i'd like to go on 20 more years, but you never can tell. musical climate, integrity, etc all change.

I'm not saying bands won't stick around for 20 years; I'm saying bands won't have phenomenal sustained success like Metallica has had for 20 years.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 1:06 am

yeah, i understand you. i wasn't arguing with you. only answering Nazgul's original post.

XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 1:09 am

mc666 wrote:
yeah, i understand you. i wasn't arguing with you. only answering Nazgul's original post.

Oh. That's cool then. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 7:29 am

Getizzyback wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

I personally think WASP ended a long time ago, it's another Axl Rose calling
his solo band Guns N' Roses kinda thing.

The only difference is Blackie always controlled W.A.S.P. (like Dave always controlled Megadeth) and Axl siezed control from a band situation.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 10:30 am

Not a metal band, but I think the Foo Fighters could see some lasting success. They've remained pretty consistant with their music, more or less sticking to a format, continue to draw live and still get a steady amount of radio play. They've already been around since '94 and seemed to have weathered the storms of musical change so far.

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 11:07 am

Foo Fighters for sure...15 years running with fairly consistent success...and I know most of us hate them, but Green Day is coming up on 20 years running and having thier biggest success...American Idiot was huge...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What bands do you think could last?   What bands do you think could last? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What bands do you think could last?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next