Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Story of ANVIL

Go down 
+15
nitro2
metalken
Glenn Rogers
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
80smetalrocks
Wargod
manny
kmorg
skullsmasher
Smindas
powermacho
ultmetal
metalinmyveins
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 6:25 pm

Anyone seen the commercial on VH1 Classic for this program? Did it strike you as a little odd that they would make a production with a band so far out of the mainstream? I mean, Anvil's story is very interesting, but I would think 90% of Americans that call themselves "metalheads", or whatever, probably have never heard a note from these guys. I am actually looking forward to this.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 6:33 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Anyone seen the commercial on VH1 Classic for this program? Did it strike you as a little odd that they would make a production with a band so far out of the mainstream? I mean, Anvil's story is very interesting, but I would think 90% of Americans that call themselves "metalheads", or whatever, probably have never heard a note from these guys. I am actually looking forward to this.

I've seen the commercial quite a bit. It peaked my interest so much that I checked to see where it was playing. I realize documentaries like these only play in the big cities, but I thought I would look into it regardless of the fact. I live about 50 minutes outside of Chicago. It's playing in some theatre in the Wrigleyville area. I am considering it...

I've heard of Anvil having grown up in the 80's. But, I will admit it, I can't say that I know any of their music. I love documentaries though, and this one seems to bare everything. That's what makes documentaries so very interesting, the honesty. I think it's intriguing to find out why bands who were expected to make it big, didn't...

If I don't go see this in the theatre, I could see myself buying it the first day when it comes out on DVD.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 6:43 pm

I would LOVE to see this. Hope it comes out on DVD eventually. Anvil rules!

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 6:46 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
SAXON1500 wrote:

I've seen the commercial quite a bit. It peaked my interest so much that I checked to see where it was playing. I realize documentaries like these only play in the big cities, but I thought I would look into it regardless of the fact. I live about 50 minutes outside of Chicago. It's playing in some theatre in the Wrigleyville area. I am considering it...

I've heard of Anvil having grown up in the 80's. But, I will admit it, I can't say that I know any of their music. I love documentaries though, and this one seems to bare everything. That's what makes documentaries so very interesting, the honesty. I think it's intriguing to find out why bands who were expected to make it big, didn't...

If I don't go see this in the theatre, I could see myself buying it the first day when it comes out on DVD.

I just called the MusicBox about tix, and they did not know exactly when they were going on sale. Anvil will only be playing April 24-26, So I will be coming in from MPLS for one of those nights [probably Sat.]. Let me know if ya decide to go!
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 7:12 pm

this movie has been there for a while, but this time they are taking it big. I am planing on attending
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 7:21 pm

This film has been in cinemas over here in Blighty for about a month, I just still have yet to get the chance to go see it. I saw the trailer and it looked like it'd be quite an interesting watch.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 7:24 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
SAXON1500 wrote:

I just called the MusicBox about tix, and they did not know exactly when they were going on sale. Anvil will only be playing April 24-26, So I will be coming in from MPLS for one of those nights [probably Sat.]. Let me know if ya decide to go!

I will definitely let you know. I went on the Musicbox website, and I saw that it opens on the 24th. I didn't see on there how long it runs for, but yeah, I think I wouldn't mind checking this out. It would be cool to meet someone from heartofmetal board. I'll keep in touch with you regarding this.

http://www.musicboxtheatre.com/comingsoon/
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 1:57 pm

I found it odd too that they chose Anvil. It does look like a cool show, I would like to watch it.I really haven't heard much Anvil since the early - mid 80s. Are they still putting out good albums?
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 3:19 pm

They even talked about this on one of the most profiled culture programs on Norwegian national TV. I missed the show, of course, but it is still weird how that small docu movie getsæ such a broad recognition.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 3:28 pm

In the States the film critcs from Time, Interview, and reviewers who hate heavy metal have given it excellent reviews and has gotten huge critical acclaim, plus at the Sundance Film Festival to reaction was overwhelmingly postive.

Also, the resurgence of metal's popularity (in the mainstream press's eyes anyway) has not hurt it in anyway.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 3:58 pm

Just saw the Norwegian program om net-tv. They say that Anvil are the real life Spinal Tap!! Laughing

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 9:00 pm

Well they were on That Metal Show last saturday which was the best one yet. Anyway all 3 host were telling Metallica or whoever to add them to their tour, well someone did finally.

Read over at blabbermouth Anvil has been added to the Judas Priest/Whitesnake tour this summer which very cool. I'm gonna see them in July at Moondance Jam fri, night that lineup is Anvli/Lita Ford/Whitesnake/Judas Priest kick a$$!

Wargod50
Back to top Go down
80smetalrocks
Metal student
Metal student
80smetalrocks

Number of posts : 101

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 2:16 am

Thats a cool how your gonna see Wargod48.Glad Anvil is getting some respect.I have 3 of their cds.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 2:30 am

This is a last ditch effort to get them noticed. I will see the movie on dvd.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 8:30 am

Wargod48 wrote:
Read over at blabbermouth Anvil has been added to the Judas Priest/Whitesnake tour this summer which very cool.

That's awesome. It may have taken 20+ years but it looks like Anvil's ship has FINALLY come in!! 🤘

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 9:50 am

That's cool news about the JP/Whitesnake tour. Hope it gives them the financial and noteriety boost they deserve. I'm not a user myself, but is their music available on places like iTunes? Since their cd's are kinda hard to come by, I imagine the download-generation is were they could make some scratch.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 11:22 am

I was at the gig they recorded for thier live album. (Metal Blade) Blood On The Ice! is one of my favorite songs by them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 11:23 am

Glenn Rogers wrote:
I was at the gig they recorded for thier live album. (Metal Blade) Blood On The Ice! is one of my favorite songs by them.

Love 'Blood on the Ice'. That was the song I suggested to the other guys in Ultimatum to record for our CD. Unfortunately that song didn't make the cut. BOOOO!

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 11:38 am

I have had the pleasure of seeing them way back in 81 (I think) opening up for Girlschool out here in western Canada. I too am looking forward to this dvd release.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 1:11 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Love 'Blood on the Ice'. That was the song I suggested to the other guys in Ultimatum to record for our CD. Unfortunately that song didn't make the cut. BOOOO!

You can always cover it on your solo album. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
nitro2
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 6

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 5:40 pm

I didn't pay too much attention to Anvil, back in the early to mid 80's, though I had a couple of their albums. However, about 10 years ago a friend of mine called up and said Anvil was playing at a little banquet hall over a nice restaurant, in a nearby small town. I thought he was crazy, I hadn't heard of Anvil for years and it seemed there was no way a metal band (or any band with an album) would be playing at that location. We went anyway, just in case, and it was amazing. $10 to get in, it was just like the setup at a small bar i.e. 150 people max, no stage, and Lips wandered all through the audience with a big smile on his face hammering out all their best songs (if you take the time to sift through their 13 albums they have a lot of excellent songs interspersed with songs that are not so good and never played live).

They made next to no money that night (and every other night). They were put up for the night and fed at the expense of the guy that invited them to the town (a teenager who had to hide the whole thing from his Dad). There were no complaints from Anvil, they were very down to earth, put on a great show (no special effects whatsoever as they couldn't afford any). I always remember that as being the best $10 I ever spent on anything, by a long shot.

Since then I've seen them several times and its always the same, great show, dirt cheap to get in $5 or $10, very small crowds that are obviously big time Anvil fans (drinking age to about 70 yrs. old.). No egos.

Last time I saw Anvil, Lips was out looking in the dollar store window across from the bar they were to play at, at midnight, with a woman that looked like she could have been his mother. Quite frankly the two of them probably couldn't afford what was in the dollar store window, but that didn't stop Anvil from putting on a great show.

Sure there are plenty of dirt poor bands in the world trying to make it, but I don't know of any that are so determined, so stubborn, and so overlooked despite great songs. These guys are the polar opposite of Axl Rose, maybe that's the root of their problem$$$.

Unfortunately for some of us the days of paying $5 to see them are gone, but that's OK they've paid there dues so many times over its downright sad.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 8:19 pm

According to a posting on Anvil's Facebook page, they're only slated to open a couple of the Priest/Whitesnake gigs, not the whole tour. I hope that changes because they REALLY freakin' deserve it.

nitro2 - great story. I only saw Anvil once (back in '95, opening for Raven) and they totally blew the roof off the place. I had been a casual Anvil fan prior to that show but their performance made me into a total fanboy. 🤘

Back to top Go down

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 9:50 pm

nitro2 wrote:
These guys are the polar opposite of Axl Rose, maybe that's the root of their problem$$$.

That is the root of their GREATNESS!!
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 10:11 pm

They were at the Film Festival that Michael Moore puts on in Traverse City MI ( where I live) but the film festival did a shity job at promoting the movie ( they probably did not know how to market a metal doc) and I missed it, I was pissed. I hope Michael Moore considers bringing this movie back to this years festival. It says that he liked it on the commericals.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 10:15 pm

I don't know if they are coming or not to NY. On the internet you can't buy their tickets, and on other sites like LIVENATION or MYSPACE you can't find the dates from NY. But I know the were coming APRIL 6 on BLENDER THEATER
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Story of ANVIL Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Story of ANVIL   The Story of ANVIL Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Story of ANVIL
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next