Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Story of Anvil

Go down 
+16
MetalGuy71
Metal Misfit
JBall_Z
A Handful of Wayne
ultmetal
Wargod
nevermore
Lurideath
James B.
DeathCult
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
7thSaviour
SideShowDisaSter
FlyingV
fingers
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 6:30 am

Man I saw it today and gotta say the best rock documentary I have seen since Spinal Tap I also feel like such a tool for not knowing about except for the name. One metal band I have been missing out on for ages. Gotta love their trademark song Metal on Metal one song to turn up at nuclear volume and to headbang to Story of Anvil Headbang Story of Anvil Headbang Story of Anvil Headbang . Best movie of 2009 alot definitely puts Metal Headbangers Journey to shame. Any albums to recommend as well?
Back to top Go down
FlyingV
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
FlyingV

Number of posts : 270

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 7:12 am

I haven't seen the documentary yet but I plan to buy it when it's released on DVD. From the reviews I've read and heard it is a must have for any self-respecting metal fan.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 8:23 am

Here in Australia there is a show like Siskil (sp?) and Roper (the movie review duo) called At The Movies. They actually reviewed Anvil: The Story Of Anvil! Was REALLY cool to see 'em getting press even down here! And the reviewers were really fair and gave the movie a good look (3.5 / 5 "stars", or whatever). The one guy gave it some pretty good praise.

Last edited by SideShowDisaSter on Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 8:24 am

I'm gonna rent this one ASAP!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 8:29 am

It's coming out on DVD in the US in early October...I believe VH1 Classic will be airing it the first Saturday of that month...I'm dyin' to see it myself, been an Anvil fan for quite some time now.

As for albums, you can't go wrong with any of these: METAL ON METAL, FORGED IN FIRE, POUND FOR POUND, and STRENGTH OF STEEL. They have lots of others but those four are my faves. Ult's a big fan, I'm sure he can recommend more.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 8:29 am

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
Here in Australia there is a show like Siskil (sp?) and Roper (the movie review duo) called At The Movies. They actually reviewed Anvil: The Story Of Anvil! Was REALLY cool to see 'em getting press even down here! And the reviewers were really fair and gave the movie a good look (3.5 / 5 "stars", or whatever). The one guy gave it some pretty good praise.

The movie is OK. I've seen it twice now. Once in MN...once at home. Ben, you'd have to agree that seeing it in MN was more about the experience than the movie. Story of Anvil Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 8:33 am

SpectreFate wrote:
SideShowDisaSter wrote:

The movie is OK. I've seen it twice now. Once in MN...once at home. Ben, you'd have to agree that seeing it in MN was more about the experience than the movie. Story of Anvil Icon_razz

Considering I was still buzzing pretty hard, running head-long into a hangover, and trying not to puke for about 3/4 of the movie......I don't remember large sections of it! What I do remember was pretty good, but yah the experience was working in the movie's favor. Story of Anvil Lol

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 8:36 am

Will see it on dvd...
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 10:51 am

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
SideShowDisaSter wrote:

Considering I was still buzzing pretty hard, running head-long into a hangover, and trying not to puke for about 3/4 of the movie......I don't remember large sections of it! What I do remember was pretty good, but yah the experience was working in the movie's favor. Story of Anvil Lol

The experience was better than the movie anyway. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12620

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 10:57 am

I remember Anvil being a band (back in the day) that only true headbangers listened to, much less heard of. Like The Rods, RIOT, TT Quick, Merciful Fate, and others.

Gonna watch the flic for nostalgia's sake at least. Though the band deserves more than that.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 12:58 pm

The movie is pretty good. They go through a lot of stuff for sure, but this same stuff happens to lots of bands.
Back to top Go down

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 1:52 pm

I saw bits and pieces of it. Kind of boring, from what I remember of the movie. Give me "Decline - 1, 2, OR 3" first any day.

Then there was the whole "DeathCult committing felonies" thing. That was much more entertaining.
Back to top Go down

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 1:53 pm

UNCLE SAXON wrote:

Then there was the whole "DeathCult committing felonies" thing. That was much more entertaining.

If that's how you remember that night, then you had WAY more fun than we did. Smile
Back to top Go down

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 2:11 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
UNCLE SAXON wrote:

If that's how you remember that night, then you had WAY more fun than we did. Smile

He admitted it to me last night on the phone.....
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25871

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 4:53 pm

I want to see the film. I'll probably pick up the dvd when it comes out. Anvil is going to be on The Tonight Show on Oct. 6th.
Back to top Go down

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 5:15 pm

nevermore wrote:
Anvil is going to be on The Tonight Show on Oct. 6th.

Ooooooo! I hope they play "Five Knuckle Shuffle"!

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 1:23 pm

SPECTREFATE wrote:

Ooooooo! I hope they play "Five Knuckle Shuffle"!

Laughing very hard I've seen them play that one live. It brought the house down!

Anyway, "Anvil: The Story of Anvil" is airing tonight on VH1 Classic at 10 PM. I'll be recordin' it (on the same DVD that I recorded "Iron Maiden: Flight 666" on... then all I gotta do is find time to watch'em both... haha)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 10:43 am

Say the story on VH1 classic last night I thought it was pretty good and I loved the footage of what they did for work when not playing. They have a nice following locally and their 2 best non band members are insane!

After that aired That Metal Show season debut had Anvil on the hour long show and it was probably the best show to date they did 3 songs to end the show although there were only 3 members playing wonder what happened the the other guitar player!

Wargod50
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 10:45 am

I have the DVD of this on pre-order from Amazon.

Anvil's second guitarist quit the band quite some time ago. Probably about 2 - 3 years ago now.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 12:26 pm

He married that girl who booked those tours for them. I believe he also went on to play some other sort of music. He still plays guitar but not electric I forget what kind it was.

Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 6:09 pm

I finally caught this movie on VH1 last night. Robb and Lips deserve the "gold medal in metal" for their perserverance. God bless 'em.

I wonder, has this movie translated into album sales for Anvil?
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 7:22 pm

JBall_Z wrote:
I finally caught this movie on VH1 last night. Robb and Lips deserve the "gold medal in metal" for their perserverance. God bless 'em.

Personally, even after meeting them, I think the fire pretty much solely belongs to Lips, Robb seems like hes just along for the ride.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 8:05 pm

I missed the first forty minutes of it last night due to work, but I really liked what I saw. Really positive message. Even my girl was like "He's got such a great outlook on life, that's awesome" in reference to Lips.

I don't think I'll buy it, but this is going to the top of my Netflix list so I can view it in full next week. Really cool of VH1C to air it without commercials as well.

JBall_Z wrote:

That's what I'm wondering as well. Have numbers & chart position been released for the VH1 Classic Records reissue of This Is Thirteen?

DeathCult wrote:

Personally, even after meeting them, I think the fire pretty much solely belongs to Lips, Robb seems like hes just along for the ride.

I kinda got that impression just from what I saw. He seems cool, but just kinda "there" and not really vocal when it comes to promoting the band or acting like he's still passionate about the music. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I really wish the beginning of their argument about "half-assed takes" from caught on film/included in the doc.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 5:55 pm

JBall_Z wrote:

Quote :
ANVIL's re-release of the group's latest album, "This is Thirteen", sold around 1,400 copies in the United States in its first week of release, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The CD landed at position No. 19 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200.

"This is Thirteen" was finally given proper national distribution on CD and vinyl on September 15 via VH1 Classic Records. The collectible double vinyl LP boasts newly re-recorded versions of ANVIL classics "Metal on Metal" and "666". The album, originally recorded in 2007 and produced by Chris Tsangarides (JUDAS PRIEST, THIN LIZZY), was primarily available directly from the band via their web site and at their concerts.

I missed the first 10 minutes of this on Saturday night, but I really enjoyed it. The wife watched it with me and she liked it too. She found Lips to be facinating. We rarely have the same taste in music/tv. It was kinda sad though, not only for Anvil, but the countless other bands out there that were this close to hitting the big time, but for whatever reason, just never made it.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 11:38 pm

I think I'll put this one at the top of my Netflix queue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Story of Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story of Anvil   Story of Anvil Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Story of Anvil
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next