Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner

Go down 
+13
Dave the Boss
Metallic Blaze
7thSaviour
holydiver97595
SAHB Healer
Schbopo
nevermore
MoonChild
the sentinel
tohostudios
MetalRob331
manny
akeldama
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Rainbow v.s. Foreigner
Rainbow
Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Vote_lcap61%Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Vote_rcap
 61% [ 17 ]
Foreigner
Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Vote_lcap39%Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Vote_rcap
 39% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 28

AuthorMessage
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Empty
PostSubject: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 1:46 pm

Me and my bro were discussing how Rainbow with Joe Lynn Turner sounded like Foreigner the other day. He being a Foreigner fan said JLT Rainbow was a generic Foreigner. I like both bands but prefer Rainbow. So whaddaya think?

Last edited by akeldama on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 1:53 pm

I can see why fans think both bands sound alike, and while I have not read this anywhere yet, I am sure Ritchie Blackmore was influenced by the success of Foreigner and Journey to pursue a more commerical direction for Rainbow, that being said I prefer Rainbow over Foreigner.

I think Joe Lynn Turner is an excellent vocalist, was and is a good commerical songwriter and I just think overall Rainbow songs of this era hold up better than anything in the Foreigner songbook.

Also Ritchie Blackmore is my favorite (or maybe my 2nd favorite guitartist after Hendrix) and Mick Jones is nowhere near as good as Ritchie Blackmore is on his worst day.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 1:57 pm

manny wrote:
I can see why fans think both bands sound alike, and while I have not read this anywhere yet, I am sure Ritchie Blackmore was influenced by the success of Foreigner and Journey to pursue a more commerical direction for Rainbow, that being said I prefer Rainbow over Foreigner.

I think Joe Lynn Turner is an excellent vocalist, was and is a good commerical songwriter and I just think overall Rainbow songs of this era hold up better than anything in the Foreigner songbook.

Also Ritchie Blackmore is my favorite (or maybe my 2nd favorite guitartist after Hendrix) and Mick Jones is nowhere near as good as Ritchie Blackmore is on his worst day.

Yeah, we debated over Ritchie Blackmore and Mick Jones too. I agree with you all the way manny.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 1:59 pm

I would say that Foreigner has more memorable songs...Rainbow was the better band musically.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 2:09 pm

Both bands had excellent vocalist, in this version of Rainbow, Blackmore took a backseat to Joe Lynn Turner, 'Street of Dreams' 'Jealous Lover' 'Can't Let You Go' "Stone Cold' and so many great songs that should have been bigger hits and probably would have been but at time Rainbow was tagged with the label 'heavy metal' so radio programmers stayed away from them, where Foreigner seemed to be looked at as safe alternative to bands such as Rainbow.

Foreigner songs seem to sound somewhat dated, I do like the songs but I think it because I grew up when Foreigner were huge, if I were Shamu's age for example I may not like those songs that much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 2:12 pm

Neither of those bands have aged very well (partly due to early 80's production techniques), but I like them for nostalgic reasons.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 2:13 pm

I grew up listening to Foreigner too, I think that's why I like them too. I discovered Rainbow when I was 10 or so. JLT and Lou Gramm were both rather keep it simple stupid sonwriters but at times I think JLT's lyrics were a little meh, it was the music that really stands out for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 2:23 pm

I saw Foreigner on the "4" tour, at the time I thought they were awesome - my other favorite band at that time was Asia.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:00 pm

detuned wrote:
I would say that Foreigner has more memorable songs...Rainbow was the better band musically.

This is how I feel. Foreigner def had much more memorable songs and I still jam to them to this day.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:03 pm

akeldama wrote:
I grew up listening to Foreigner too, I think that's why I like them too. I discovered Rainbow when I was 10 or so. JLT and Lou Gramm were both rather keep it simple stupid sonwriters but at times I think JLT's lyrics were a little meh, it was the music that really stands out for me.

I have to agree that Joe Lynn Turner's lyrics at times, where not all that great.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:23 pm

Rainbow for me.

And lyrically, Foreigner dropped some turds too. "Urgent"? Real, deep lyrics in the chorus...

I like both bands but I think Rainbow's music holds up a little better today.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:33 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Rainbow for me.

And lyrically, Foreigner dropped some turds too. "Urgent"? Real, deep lyrics in the chorus...

I like both bands but I think Rainbow's music holds up a little better today.

I have to agree with Toho I think Rainbow's songs hold up better, but then again I am Ritchie Blackmore fanboy.

I do think that Foreigner were a huge influence of the pop metal of the early to mid 80's, not an acknowledged influence but a bigger influence than they were given credit for, anyone else agree or disagree with this statement?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 3:54 pm

Quote :
I do think that Foreigner were a huge influence of the pop metal of the early to mid 80's, not an acknowledged influence but a bigger influence than they were given credit for, anyone else agree or disagree with this statement?

I agree. In fact, I'd go as far as saying if you put makeup and big hair on the band, they might be one of the pioneers of hair metal.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 8:47 pm

Never looked at Foreigner as a hair band. They were just great at what they did. They didnt have that style and sleaziness that hair bands have IMO.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 8:52 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Never looked at Foreigner as a hair band. They were just great at what they did. They didnt have that style and sleaziness that hair bands have IMO.

He was talking about influencing their sound not their fashion sense, pop metal was not created in a vaccum.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 8:55 pm

Foreigner was the perfect "radio friendly" rock band. They were good musicians and songwriters...but it was also methodically calculated for mass acceptance. Loud enough to be "fun", but safe for parents with impressionable kids. A happy medium ground...as long as you don't think about it too deeply.

Remember, Foreigner 4 was the album Mutt Lange produced after Back In Black.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 8:56 pm

manny wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

He was talking about influencing their sound not their fashion sense, pop metal was not created in a vaccum.

Exactly. I don't hear much difference between Foreigner and Poison. Both wrote radio-friendly, immediately memorable songs. Or compare Foreigner to Dokken. The sense of melody while still retaining the "metalness" is where I hear Foreigner's influence on hair bands.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 8:56 pm

detuned wrote:
Foreigner was the perfect "radio friendly" rock band. They were good musicians and songwriters...but it was also methodically calculated for mass acceptance. Loud enough to be "fun", but safe for parents with impressionable kids. A happy medium ground...as long as you don't think about it too deeply.

Remember, Foreigner 4 was the album Mutt Lange produced after Back In Black.

I agree on all points.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 10:26 pm

I like both bands a lot, but I voted for Rainbow.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 10:51 pm

manny wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

I am saying "style" meaning the music style not looks. I really don't see Foreigner being an influential band on any hair bands. I love the 80's hair bands but when I listen to them I do not think of Foreigner having any influence on them at all. Yes the melody is there but most bands that have success use melody. I will never lump Foreigner in with any of the hair bands it just doesnt sound similar at all to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 10:54 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
manny wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

I am saying "style" meaning the music style not looks. I really don't see Foreigner being an influential band on any hair bands. I love the 80's hair bands but when I listen to them I do not think of Foreigner having any influence on them at all. Yes the melody is there but most bands that have success use melody. I will never lump Foreigner in with any of the hair bands it just doesnt sound similar at all to me.

That's basically because Foreigner was alot better than most of the hair bands. lol!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 4:15 am

I hope thats not sarcasm, but I do agree..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 4:31 am

Don't worry, not sarcasm, I'm not a fan of the hair bands. I'll make exceptions for Kix and Dokken.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 5:10 am

I like the ballads but not a huge fan of the bands overall.

White Lion
Dokken
Damn Yankees

and maybe a few Im missing are really only the few I can tolerate, other than there ballads.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 10:19 am

I like both bands as well. As much as I love Foreigner songs, I vote Rainbow since I find them musically richer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner   Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rainbow (Joe Lynn Turner) v.s. Foreigner
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next