Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ray Gillen R.I.P.

Go down 
+9
sam
vanillaviking
Leatherface
the sentinel
James B.
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
manny
Troublezone
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Ray Gillen R.I.P. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 9:57 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

That's the story I remember as well. Stomach cancer, then aids-related complications. Anyone know how he contraced aids? Was he g-a-y or a drug addict? Or just an unfortunate encounter with a dirty groupie?

I've never heard one way or another. However according to a couple websites the rumors that he had AIDS started to circulate around 1990. When I saw Badlands on the Voodoo Highway tour he wasn't looking very healthy at that point, he was alot skinnier than he had been a couple years earlier. I didn't think anything about it at the time.
Back to top Go down
vanillaviking
Metal student
Metal student
vanillaviking

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 5:21 pm

anybody ever seen anything about this on any other sites:

http://forums.metalsludge.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=191711&hilit=ray+gillen+aids

folks always say he knowingly spread it & there were lawsuits, but i never see it mentioned outside the metal sludge board.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 5:22 pm

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 3:47 pm

Troublezone wrote:
What a great singer...

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDSIcYk1c6Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDSIcYk1c6Y[/quote[/url]] One of my all-time fave vocalists! Badlands rules! headbanger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 8:12 pm

Quote :
just an unfortunate encounter with a dirty groupie

This is what I've always understood it to be...unlike Robin Crosby who got AIDS from dirty needles...
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 10:36 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
just an unfortunate encounter with a dirty groupie

This is what I've always understood it to be...unlike Robin Crosby who got AIDS from dirty needles...
Ray Gillen R.I.P. - Page 2 927150 R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 2:44 pm

To be honest, I'm surprised this terrible disease in that of A.I.D.S. didn't pick off a lot more people within the metal community. These guys really were playing a game of Russian roulette. I just got done reading the autobiography of Slash. In the book he had stated that he started getting these patches/blotches on his skin, which is one of the characteristics when you have full blown A.I.D.S. Slash got tested, and obviously he ended up being okay. His blotches had more to do with malnutrition and his heroin addiction.

His comment about having unprotected sex back in the 80's was this: "Everyone within the Rock N' Roll community felt that as long as David Lee Roth hadn't gotten A.I.D.S., then we had nothing to worry about".

That kind of comment really took me aback.

R.I.P. Ray...

Last edited by metalinmyveins on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 3:34 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:

His comment about having unprotected sex back in the 80's was this: "Everyone within the Rock N' Roll community felt that as long as David Lee Roth had gotten A.I.D.S., then we had nothing to worry about".

R.I.P. Ray...

Amazing how foolish people can be.

Ray had an amazing voice, I wish he had stuck around.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 4:06 pm

Incredible singer. I wish he had been able to hold it together with
Badlands more, but I'll recommend the Sun Red Sun boxed set as well.
There is some repetition that gets old with multiple takes, but it is a
welcome addition to my Ray Gillian collection.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 8:56 am

skullsmasher wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:

His comment about having unprotected sex back in the 80's was this: "Everyone within the Rock N' Roll community felt that as long as David Lee Roth had gotten A.I.D.S., then we had nothing to worry about".

R.I.P. Ray...

Amazing how foolish people can be.

Ray had an amazing voice, I wish he had stuck around.
"You've thrown it all away, and now we'll never see......"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ray Gillen R.I.P.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2