Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ray Gillen R.I.P.

Go down 
+9
sam
vanillaviking
Leatherface
the sentinel
James B.
MetalGuy71
Required Fields
manny
Troublezone
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:57 pm

What a great singer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDSIcYk1c6Y
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:01 pm

Great vocalist loved his performances on the two Badlands CD's I own and the few audio tracks detuned sent me with Black Sabbath
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:03 pm

manny wrote:
Great vocalist loved his performances on the two Badlands CD's I own and the few audio tracks detuned sent me with Black Sabbath

Did you ever hear the Sun Red Sun box set? He also did back up vocals on Savatage's Strange Wings song.

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:03 pm

Troublezone wrote:
manny wrote:

Did you ever hear the Sun Red Sun box set?

No, is it worth looking into?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:05 pm

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
manny wrote:

Yeah it is especially because you can find them cheap online.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Troublezone wrote:
manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
manny wrote:

Yeah it is especially because you can find them cheap online.

Thanks for the tip, TZ.
Back to top Go down

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:03 pm

Ray Gillen was AMAZING!

RIP
Back to top Go down

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:12 pm

A fantastic singer. I had the pleasure of meeting him and Jake E. Lee on the first Badlands tour, they were both very cool and down to earth.

Having recently heard a bunch of Sabbath bootlegs I can also attest that he was excellent in that context as well.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:14 pm

detuned wrote:
A fantastic singer. I had the pleasure of meeting him and Jake E. Lee on the first Badlands tour, they were both very cool and down to earth.

Having recently heard a bunch of Sabbath bootlegs I can also attest that he was excellent in that context as well.

He would have done justice to the Born Again material.
Back to top Go down

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:18 pm

Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 9:43 pm

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 9:45 pm

I just listened to Bandland's debut last week. Is it the anniversary of his death or were just giving him some props?

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 9:52 pm

Just giving him props. The anniversary of his death would be December 1st.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 9:57 pm

detuned wrote:
Just giving him props. The anniversary of his death would be December 1st.

Cool. I will as well. Great pipes, Ray. You are missed.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 10:13 pm

I saw Savatage at Jezebel's in Santa Anna, Calif during the streets tour and Ray filled in for Jon. Great show !
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 10:15 pm

detuned wrote:

Awesome!!! Thank you, detuned. Very Happy RIP, Ray. You are missed. Sad
Back to top Go down

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 10:18 pm

I'm listening to the debut Badlands record right now...man, this band was SO under appreciated it's just sad. So many great songs: Winter's Call, Streets Cry Freedom, Seasons (very Sabbath), Devil's Stomp, etc.

I HATE ATLANTIC RECORDS!!!!!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 10:51 pm

Badlands is a great band
Back to top Go down

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:40 pm

Totally underrated band and singer. Love his voice.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 1:29 am

What did he die from? I've read everything from cancer to stomach ulcers to even AIDS.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 1:56 am

Leatherface wrote:
What did he die from? I've read everything from cancer to stomach ulcers to even AIDS.

Most sites list it as: AIDS related complications".

I remember when this happened and the story I was told at the time was "stomach cancer". But it was more likely to hide that in 1993 than it would be today.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 2:07 am

Would have been cool for him to have done one Sabbath record. Why didn't it work out anyway?
Back to top Go down

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 2:24 am

Troublezone wrote:
Would have been cool for him to have done one Sabbath record. Why didn't it work out anyway?

I've only heard the Sabbath side of the story. He walked out near the end of recording on The Eternal Idol, citing that it "wasn't going anywhere". He took Eric Singer with him.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 2:36 am

detuned wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I've only heard the Sabbath side of the story. He walked out near the end of recording on The Eternal Idol, citing that it "wasn't going anywhere". He took Eric Singer with him.

That's weird, i like that album. Well at least Tony Martin did a great job.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 9:47 am

detuned wrote:
Leatherface wrote:

Most sites list it as: AIDS related complications".

I remember when this happened and the story I was told at the time was "stomach cancer". But it was more likely to hide that in 1993 than it would be today.

That's the story I remember as well. Stomach cancer, then aids-related complications. Anyone know how he contraced aids? Was he g-a-y or a drug addict? Or just an unfortunate encounter with a dirty groupie?

Ray Gillen R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ray Gillen R.I.P.   Ray Gillen R.I.P. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ray Gillen R.I.P.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next