Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Were these bands ever big?

Go down 
+8
jstate
nevermore
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
manny
Troublezone
kmorg
RimShot
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RimShot
Metal novice
Metal novice
RimShot

Number of posts : 91

Were these bands ever big? Empty
PostSubject: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 12:51 pm

I was out of the metal loop for a while, never quit listening but out of the mainstream; so I was wondering if these bands ever got big:
Raven
Rough Cutt
Black N' Blue
Armored Saint

I had their cassettes back in the 80's. Good stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.therefineryrock.com

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 12:53 pm

All didn't make it big, but all were excellent.
Back to top Go down
RimShot
Metal novice
Metal novice
RimShot

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 12:56 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Thanks, how about:
Helix
Grim Reaper
Kick Axe
Lizzy Borden?

I really miss all of these tapes. If you read in the Forced Entry post, these are some of the stuff that I got rid of angry
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 12:56 pm

Depends on wat you call big. All are pretty much household names in the metal curcuits, but only Raven recorded for a major label, as far as I know.

Last edited by kmorg on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

I'd say Armored Saint had moderate success and Raven a little too.
Back to top Go down

Same for those other 4 you listed. Smile
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 12:57 pm

No they had a bit of occult following but none of those bands got big as a matter a fact to alot of fans they are more known for being starting ground of some of these guys careers for example;

Rough Cutt: Paul Shortino sang on one Quiet Riot and Amir Dekk went to form Orgy
Black N Blue: Tommy Thayer is now in KISS
and Armored Saint's John Bush of course went on to join Anthrax.

Raven had a minor radio hit with 'On and On', Rough Cutt had a minor hit with their cover of Janis Joplin's 'Piece of My Heart' and Black n Blue with a few more hits such as "Miss Mystery' and "Hold on to 18, and Armored Saint a very minor radio hit with 'Can U Deliver' but none of these albums went gold but I believe Black n Blue came the closest to reaching that status.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 12:57 pm

Helix also signed with a major company, I think. Not the others.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Quote :
nig

Shocked
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 12:59 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
nig

Shocked

That's more like it! Very Happy

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:00 pm

RimShot wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Thanks, how about:
Helix
Grim Reaper
Kick Axe
Lizzy Borden?

I really miss all of these tapes. If you read in the Forced Entry post, these are some of the stuff that I got rid of angry

Helix was on Capital Records and had a few minor radio hits like 'Heavy Metal Love', Grim Reaper was on MCA and they got nowhere as matter a fact Nick Bowcot is a respected writer for Guitar World now, Kick AXe was also on a major label and Lizzy Borden I believe where on Enigma for an album or two.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:02 pm

Quote :
Armored Saint a very minor radio hit with 'Can U Deliver'

That's not true, they also had Reign of Fire and Last Train Home as hits.
Back to top Go down
RimShot
Metal novice
Metal novice
RimShot

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:03 pm

OK, thanks all. I'd like to try and find some of this stuff again. Some of it seems a little harder to get a hold of but they are all some of my favorite older stuff. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:04 pm

No to all of them.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:04 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

That could be true but where I lived at the time, 'Can U Deliever' was the only song that got any radio play.
Back to top Go down
RimShot
Metal novice
Metal novice
RimShot

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:07 pm

It did seem like Raven put out an album every six months. My fav is "Stay Hard"
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:09 pm

RimShot wrote:
It did seem like Raven put out an album every six months. My fav is "Stay Hard"

Check out 'All for One' and I am sure you'll have a new favorite Raven album.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:09 pm

Raven came close. They were getting hugely popular around 84 - 85. They had a minor hit with "Break the Chains". Unfortunately once they signed to a major label, they were forced into a direction that their fan base didn't like and they sort of dropped in popularity quick. They had another minor hit with "On and On", but it was a far cry from the "athletic rock" and speed metal of their first three albums. (However, they have since returned with some killer albums since those days with Atlantic Records.)

Armored Saint too were on a major label as well, and were HUGELY popular in California. As a matter of fact, when AS and Metallica toured together, Metallica were the headliners except in California because Armored Saint were more popular there.

Black N' Blue were one of the more popular band of that early 80's explosion out of Los Angeles. They were expected to become hugely popular, but unfortunately never really became the arena band they were predicted to be.

Lizzy Borden, like Armored Saint, were hugely popular in California, but have always been somewhat of an underground favorite.

Grim Reaper were a NWOBHM favorite at first. They gained some instant popularity with their first album, but never really gained any momentum after that. They did do a successful tour of the U.S. in the 80's.

Metal novice
Metal novice
RimShot

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:11 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Raven came close. They were getting hugely popular around 84 - 85. They had a minor hit with "Break the Chains". Unfortunately once they signed to a major label, they were forced into a direction that their fan base didn't like and they sort of dropped in popularity quick. They had another minor hit with "On and On", but it was a far cry from the "athletic rock" and speed metal of their first three albums. (However, they have since returned with some killer albums since those days with Atlantic Records.)

Armored Saint too were on a major label as well, and were HUGELY popular in California. As a matter of fact, when AS and Metallica toured together, Metallica were the headliners except in California because Armored Saint were more popular there.

Black N' Blue were one of the more popular band of that early 80's explosion out of Los Angeles. They were expected to become hugely popular, but unfortunately never really became the arena band they were predicted to be.

Lizzy Borden, like Armored Saint, were hugely popular in California, but have always been somewhat of an underground favorite.

Grim Reaper were a NWOBHM favorite at first. They gained some instant popularity with their first album, but never really gained any momentum after that. They did do a successful tour of the U.S. in the 80's.

Ult, you are like the Einstein of metal....You rock my friend!!!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 1:14 pm

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

That could be true but where I lived at the time, 'Can U Deliever' was the only song that got any radio play.

And it was a different year and record. Smile
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 4:29 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

I agree. They all deserved to make it big.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 6:33 pm

They were all big with me and deserved more recognition. Both Rough Cutt and Grim Reaper have great 2-fer sets combining albums that can be found fairly cheap.
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 9:28 pm

I remember when someone would ask, "Is Armored Saint a Christian band?" Haha!

Same thing with Testament.
Back to top Go down
chucksteak
Metal student
Metal student
chucksteak

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 9:39 pm

^^^^ Yeah I was wearing a Testament tour shirt back around 1990 or 91 (from the tour with Megadeth and Priest) and my grandmother said " oh yes Testament just played our church basement last weekend! " Maybe so but I'm sure it wasn't the same one!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 10:00 pm

On the "east coast" (where I spent most of my life), of the bands mentioned the most popular were Helix & Armored Saint. They played that damn "GIVE ME AN R!" cheer leading Helix song every 30 seconds on DC101 back when it first came out...and I remember hearing quite a few Armored Saint tunes during that era as well, especially Long Before I Die and Can U Deliver.

Raven were underground, I think there was myself and 2 other guys I knew that had even heard of them. Black N Blue, Rough Cutt, Grim Reaper (who were popular for about a month), Kick Axe and Lizzy Borden weren't even blips on the radar. That Kick Axe album Vices seemed to be in every cut out bin I ever looked in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Were these bands ever big?   Were these bands ever big? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Were these bands ever big?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next