Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Earliest metal memory

Go down 
+24
SAHB Healer
rattpoison
Stender
the sentinel
stepcousin
XYZ
jstate
Schbopo
sam
skullsmasher
kmorg
EvyMetal
akeldama
Hamer12
Mglaffas81
thejokeriv
Olafsto
Fat Freddy
iamrockerfun
manny
Thrasher73
Red Kitty
tohostudios
Troublezone
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Earliest metal memory Empty
PostSubject: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 9:14 am

What got you listening to metal music? For me it was my older cousin and his KISS records. I remember really liking the song (Tears Are Falling).
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 9:16 am

Troublezone wrote:
What got you listening to metal music? For me it was my older cousin and his KISS records. I remember really liking the song (Tears Are Falling).

Funny, for me it was by best friend and his KISS Army. He played "Strutter" for me and I was hooked.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 9:20 am

Ironic you started this thread Troublezone as for me it was buying Kiss Destroyer...WAY back in the day. Just listened to it on my way to work.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 9:21 am

Count me in as another with Kiss.I remember hearing "I was made for Lovin you" on the radio when I was around 6 or 7.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 9:24 am

Hearing AC/DC's "Highway To Hell' over the church PA during an anti rock rally.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 9:25 am

I think KISS and AC/DC had a magnetic effect on almost everyone growing up in the 70's or 80's.

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 9:34 am

One of the earliest:

Seeing Kiss on the Paul Lynde Halloween special in 1976...that prompted me to beg my Mother for days to let me buy a Kiss album, she finally relented and I picked up Rock And Roll Over (I think I chose that one because I liked the cover).
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 9:47 am

yea, KiSSin time continue
for me it was KiSS and IMFLY with GodGaveRnRToYou II
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 10:34 am

Wow, lotsa KISS stories here... how'bout another one?

When I was in first grade circa 1976-77, our teacher did a weekly activity called "Music Time," where she'd let kids bring in a record from home and pick one song off of it to play for the class. I remember hearing a lot of Bee Gees, Sean Cassidy, and ABBA during this period (ugh!) but one day a kid named Scott brought in his older brother's copy of Kiss' DESTROYER and told the teacher to play "Detroit Rock City." That was the first time I'd ever heard music that was harder than Elvis or the Beatles (my parents' faves) and it hooked me right away. I went home from school that day babbling to my Mom about this band that looked like monsters and breathed fire and crashed cars on their record, and she of course had no idea what I was talking about. A while later we were shopping in a K-Mart or Korvettes store (remember Korvettes?) and I saw the DESTROYER LP in the record department. I freaked out and went "MOM! THAT'S THEM! THAT'S THE GROUP I WAS TALKING ABOUT! CAN I HAVE IT? CAN I CAN I CAN I HUH HUH HUH?" ... she of course took one look at the cover and said "Um... no." So it was a few more years before I was finally able to buy a copy with my own money. Laughing

Years later, I happened to run into Scott again at a club while a KISS tribute band was playing... I told him the above story and said "See, it's all YOUR fault... if it weren't for you bringing in that record, I may never have become the metal geek that I am today. Thank you." Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 10:49 am

Another childhood memory concerning Kiss:

When I was in grade school our music teacher had a big poster of the Destroyer cover hanging on the wall.I always thought that was cool.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 10:59 am

A friend played AC/DC - TNT, been a fan ever since that day!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 11:18 am

KISS - I remember hearing about KISS, Destroyer was the rock/metal album I ever owned. My Dad had one of the Jimi Hendrix albums when I was a kid - I remeber listening to Foxy Lady and Purple Haze even before I got the KISS record. I also remember getting Van Halen's debut album on my 8th birthday. Friends would play Led Zepplin (I was never into them, I just wanted to listen to KISS and Van Halen!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 11:25 am

In 1978 my favorite bands were:

Kiss
The Doobie Brothers
Boston
Heart
Queen
E.L.O.

Out of that list, the only bands I no longer listen to are Kiss & Boston. lol!
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 11:31 am

Hearing Metallica's "Hit the Lights" blast through the speakers when I was around 10 - I jumped to the ground, lay on my back, and just spassed out to the sheer intensity of that song.

Along with Maiden's "Fear of the Dark" and Helloween's "Halloween", this was the true transition into the metal loving Mglaffas81 of today.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 11:45 am

My teenage step-uncle turning on his black lights and cranking up "God Of Thunder" on his turntable and not letting me out of the room no matter how much I freaked out...haha!
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 2:01 pm

Mine was also Kiss related, we used to crank up Kiss at my buddy's house & run around with tennis raquets doing air guitar & breaking stuff.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 2:32 pm

AC/DC-Highway To Hell; I loved the entire album since I was 2, My bro had it on vinyl and I used to sleep with it in my crib and he had to play it all the time or I would cry if he played anything else.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 3:25 pm

Back in middle school we would sit on the stoop and listen to music, that's where I got a lot of my friends that I have now. My friend Colby's dad always listened (and probably still does listen) to bands like Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Loudness. My other friend Joey went to a used book store and picked up Law Of The Devil's Land (Loudness) and British Steel (Judas Priest). He brought those over and we listened to them 'til dawn. That's what really sparked my interest in heavy metal. That weekend I went out and bought Paranoid (Black Sabbath). However, I always had an interest in Queen and Van Halen, just not the straight-forward Metal stuff.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 3:47 pm

I had 2 older brothers, and when KISS hit it big, they became fans. So when KISS visited Norway for the first time in 1980, I remember sneaking up after bedtime to watch them on the news at 9pm. I was almost 6 years old. I had already heard the Peter Criss solo album, Destroyer and Unmasked Very Happy

My oldest brother had this firend with a rather large vinyl collection. My brother would make these mixed tapes with loads of great stuff, that I used to borrow. Here I heard Metallica, Scorpions, Ozzy, Maiden, Agent Steel and Loudness for the first time. It has been a smooth ride ever since!

Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 4:41 pm

I could almost cut and paste Freddie's story from above. It was KISS with me too. I was a frickin fanatic for anything KISS. It all started in 1975 for me and really hasn't ever slowed down. We actually made a couple kids cry when we would take their ABBA and Carpenters records off to play KISS during our music time in grade school. Dressed to Kill and Alive were always on hand with me, still love those old records.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 4:49 pm

the first time I saw a picture of Lita ford. lol!
dancingthing
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Olafsto wrote:
A friend played AC/DC - TNT, been a fan ever since that day!!

Exact same story here.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 6:03 pm

My first personal metal memory was getting a k-tel cassette which had Ozzy's Flying High Again and Krokus Long Stick Goes Boom on it. I played those two songs non-stop. Funny that at ten I thought they were actually songs about flying and dynamite.

But my first metal memory of any kind was my dad not being able to hear for days after going to a Kiss concert. He wasn't a fan but a friend of his was the adoptive father of Gary Herriwig the guitar player/songwriter for Artful Dodger who was opening for Kiss at the time.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 6:10 pm

I'm going with "We Will Rock You" by Queen. It sounded heavy when I was 7.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Earliest metal memory   Earliest metal memory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 7:58 pm

Back in '75-'76 my sister had all the rock and 70's heavy metal that was pretty much mandatory for the time: first 3 Aerosmith, first 2 Montrose, Kiss Alive and Destroyer, Ted Nugent's first couple lp's, Nazareth HOTDog & Loud n Proud, Deep Purple Live In Europe, Boston s/t, Led Zep 4 or 5 albums, and a bunch of other stuff. She would let me play her LP's and would beat me senseless when I would make scratches on them but the blood and bruises were worth it cuz I was hooked for life.
The Ones that really had a lasting impact on me:

Aerosmith...Get Your Wings and Rocks
Kiss.....Alive and Destroyer
Led Zep........1 & 2
Nazareth.....Hair Of The Dog
Montrose.....s/t
Boston....s/t
Foghat....Fool For The City
Thin Lizzy.....Johnny The Fox
Rush.......Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel, 2112
Heart.........Little Queen, Dreamboat Annie
Back to top Go down