Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren...

Go down 
+2
Gilbert
Stender
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren... Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren...   Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 11:54 pm

For those who have heard some of the new tracks, what do you think of of Stefan's replacement? I think he can hold his own on rhythm playing, not really bringing anything extrodinary to the table, but still competent player I think. His leads are utter shite IMO though....anyways, what do you think?
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren...   Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 12:59 am

I personnally kind of lost interest in this band. Two major albums though: legacy of kings and renegade. The rest is repetitive galloping speed metal...
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren...   Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 2:09 am

One thing Hammerfall wont miss is Stefan, he was a great guitar player. Pontus is an amazing guitar as well, just listen to him in the Poodles. I personally like what I have heard and you really cant tell Stefan is gone. Oscar is the driving force behind Hammerfall, its his rhythm playing that stands out.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren...   Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 7:15 am

The new album is due soon if i'm correct?
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren...   Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 7:17 am

Gilbert wrote:
I personnally kind of lost interest in this band. Two major albums though: legacy of kings and renegade. The rest is repetitive galloping speed metal...

Yes new album very soon. I call it more traditional power metal. All there cds are awesome IMO. Renegade, Legacy, Glory to the Brave, are all great cds. Not a bad Hammerfall disc IMO. They stick to what they're good at and if you like one album its hard to not like another.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren...   Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 8:31 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
Oscar is the driving force behind Hammerfall, its his rhythm playing that stands out.

That about sums it up right there.

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren...   Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 9:03 am

His work w/ Jeff Scott Soto and Talisman shows how awesome he is...if he writes with the band, I'm sure he'll add even more melody...he certainly can only be an improvement.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren...   Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 9:10 am

It's just that all of their albums are so alike. But i don't doubt their excellent musicianship.

Besides, didn't they play a major role in reviving metal in the nineties?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren...   Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 9:11 am

I personally think Hammerfall are weak...always have been weak...and I don't know how much Pontus can help them...but I hope he tries.

Yes, Hammerfall were one of the bands in the 90s that helped bring about the True Metal revival.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren...   Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 4:09 pm

Love Hammerall and I don't think they'd pick a bad replacement so I have no worries that I'll like the new one.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren...   Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 4:33 pm

I like this band quite a bit but don't own every cd. I find their Steel Meets Steel is enough for me. 30 songs of cheesy glory.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren...   Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 11:38 am

Gilbert wrote:

Besides, didn't they play a major role in reviving metal in the nineties?

Yes they did. And for that they are today ridiculed by many of the fans that embraced them then! Mad

On topic: I agree that there aren't all that much difference between the "new" Hammerfall and the old. Neither Pontus, nor Fredrik brings anything new to the table. And they both replace members that didn't exactly create Hammerfall's sound.

I think the new album is good though, but it is nowhere near as good as the first albums.

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren...   Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on new Hammerfall guitarist Pontus Norgren...
Page 1 of 1