Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands for whom a best-of would be enough

Go down 
+14
kmorg
Schbopo
Metal Misfit
arttieTHE1manparty
MetalGuy71
manny
skullsmasher
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
exact33
Thrasher73
mc666
MetalRob331
Gilbert
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Empty
PostSubject: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 1:22 am

Which would be the bands for whom you'd only need a good best-of in your collection?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 2:25 am

It's a personal thing, based on how important a specific artist is to you. I usually don't collect "best of" discs, because if I like an artist enough to own one of their albums, then there's a good chance I'll want to own several.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 2:41 am

Bryan Adams, Foreigner, Journey, The Police, Phil Collins, and Eric Clapton. These are all bands I feel have had there best songs released as hits. I missed a lot, but off the top of my head this is what I came up with.

This should also be moved to the all music section..
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 3:16 am

pretty good topic. i guess it would consist of the bands i only seem to like a few songs from. this would include bands like Pantera, Meliah Rage, Type O Negative, Blind Guardian, etc.

Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 4:49 am

If i'm not familiar with a band, i normally pick up a best of. If things go the way i like it, i'd start investing in their catalogue. The following bands in my opinion are only worth a best-of : pantera, meliah rage, metalium, dokken, obituary, primal fear, hammerfall, sinner,mob rules, bon jovi, whitesnake and white lion.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 8:05 am

For me it would be bands like Poison,Warrant,Slaughter.Stuff where I like a few songs here and there.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 8:17 am

Firehouse is my first choice...

Alex

Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 9:15 am

exact33 wrote:

Alex

Having Firehouses self titled is enough IMO.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 9:28 am

Poison and Ratt. I have "Best-Of" compilations from both (POISON'S GREATEST HITS 1986-96 and RATT N ROLL 8191, respectively) and that pretty much covers all my needs from both bands.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 9:31 am

Living Colour, Chicago, Jethro Tull, Ozzy led Sabbath (shut up!)
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 9:31 am

Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, Fleetwood Mac, The Police, David Bowie

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 9:34 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Ozzy led Sabbath (shut up!)

Now that you mention it, the only Ozzy-era Sab I have on CD is on the SYMPTOM OF THE UNIVERSE 2-CD compilation.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 9:40 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Now that you mention it, the only Ozzy-era Sab I have on CD is on the SYMPTOM OF THE UNIVERSE 2-CD compilation.

See?

When I had them all, I only really ever listened to "We Sold Our Soul".

To illustrate my point, try to make it through "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath" or
"Sabotage" (sorry SAHB) without either finding your mind wandering or
totally falling asleep.

I admire the band intensely, and completely respect their place in the
history of metal, I just think when the word "overrated" is mentioned,
that incarnation of that band should be on the top of the list.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 9:45 am

SpectreFate wrote:

To illustrate my point, try to make it through "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath" or
"Sabotage" (sorry SAHB) without either finding your mind wandering or
totally falling asleep.

Personally I think Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage are two of their most interesting albums. They do a nice job of demonstrating that there is much more than just "metal" in Sabbath's arsenal.

Also, Spec...you might want to re-listen to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath because that's Rick Wakeman playing all the keyboards on that album.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 9:48 am

I had a bunch of the Ozz-era Sab on cassette back in the day (I know I had SABBATH BLOODY SABBATH, PARANOID, SABOTAGE, and VOL. 4, maybe there were others, I honestly don't remember) but I've never gotten round to upgrading any of 'em to CD. When that SYMPTOM OF THE UNIVERSE comp came out a few years back it all came down to simple economics. "Woot! Cheap shortcut!"

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 9:48 am

Quote :
Also, Spec...you might want to re-listen to
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath because that's Rick Wakeman playing all the
keyboards on that album.

Yeah, I knew that. I don't want this thread to go in a totally different direction like the Limp Bizkit one, but I have listened to all these albums within the last year and decided to liquidate them because they bored me. Early Sabbath has some killer tunes, but just enough for a single disc comp.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 9:57 am

That's cool, different strokes and all that....now back to the topic at hand:

Some bands I would only need a best-of (but I'd have to select the tunes myself).

Kiss, Supertramp, Tom Petty, U2, Rainbow, R.E.M., Megadeth, Ozzy (post-Randy Rhoads), Dio, Accept, Scorpions.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 10:05 am

I would say Warrant too, Only their best songs would not be on a best of CD. These guys have some really good songs out there but the Best Of CDs you see completely overlook the rockers that they have produced over the years. Heaven, I Saw Red, Cherry Pie, I can live without that kind of stuff
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 10:07 am

Alot of bands listed I love, Scorpions love the earlier years and I am huge Black Sabbath fan boy so not alot of bands or artist I would only want a greatest hits package.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 10:45 am

thrasher73 wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Alex

Having Firehouses self titled is enough IMO.

Having any Firehouse is too much for me. Smile

I have Ratt's 81-91 Greatest Hits and that's enough for me. Same with Poison. There are probably more, buit those are the 1st two that popped into my mind.

EDIT: I just thought of another one. Primus. I know that this will get Schleprock's undies in a twist, but I bought their Greatest Hits that came out last year. Based on the strength that, I picked up Sailing the Seas of Cheese. Didn't care for it. I'll stick with the greatest hits for those guys.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 10:47 am

Deep Purple
Pat Benatar
REO Speedwagon
Styx
Most Hair Band stuff...
Tom Petty
Fleetwood Mac
The Eagles
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 11:10 am

It would be hard for me as I tend to prefer a lot of album tracks to the singles.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 11:55 am

arttieTHE1manparty wrote:
It would be hard for me as I tend to prefer a lot of album tracks to the singles.

Arttie

Ah, but a "best of" can literally be the "best of". Sure, it's usually just another term for "greatest hits" to the marketing folks, but...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 11:59 am

arttieTHE1manparty wrote:

Arttie

I can relate. For the longest time, the only WASP album I owned was First Blood, Last Cuts, which as you probably know is a Best of comp. I've recently been going back and purchasing their entire studio discography and discovering some great tunes that aren't "hits". I only wished I picked up more of their stuff earlier.

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 1:05 pm

The Eagles
Kansas
George Thorogood
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands for whom a best-of would be enough   Bands for whom a best-of would be enough Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands for whom a best-of would be enough
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next