Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trading Cards

Go down 
+11
mc666
the sentinel
stevegarveyfan
Metal Misfit
exact33
Schbopo
SAHB Healer
sam
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
spiritoradio
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Trading Cards - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trading Cards   Trading Cards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 3:25 pm

I've decided to rekindle my hobby of collecting hockey cards, but instead of collecting expensive cards, I'm going to try and collect all the cards that I can for one of my favorite players of all time Phil Housley and collect all the cards I can of my favorite team the Minnesota North Stars. The nice thing with these options is that there are really no overtly expensive cards from these players to collect so I won't be spending a ton and it will be fun.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

PostSubject: Re: Trading Cards   Trading Cards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 3:26 pm

So if anyone has any Phil Housley or Minnesota North Stars cards that they want to part with, please let me know. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Trading Cards   Trading Cards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 9:32 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I just got an email from my bro tellin me he found the Elway card! WOW! I don't know what kind of shape it's in or anything, we're gonna have to decide what to do with it over a few beers sometime soon.

What did you guys decide with this, Freddy?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Trading Cards   Trading Cards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 9:33 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
I just got an email from my bro tellin me he found the Elway card! WOW! I don't know what kind of shape it's in or anything, we're gonna have to decide what to do with it over a few beers sometime soon.

What did you guys decide with this, Freddy?

Nothin' yet. We haven't had time to get together and figure out where to go with it or what to do. At the moment my bro has the card (along with the other 24 Oneonta Yankees from the set) locked away in a secure location.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: Trading Cards   Trading Cards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 9:50 pm

Can you post a detailed scan of the card, being EXTREMELY careful not to damage the edges, corners, surface of the card? I may be able to give you some idea whether it's worth grading, provided that the scan is large and clear enough.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Trading Cards   Trading Cards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 9:08 am

stevegarveyfan wrote:
Can you post a detailed scan of the card, being EXTREMELY careful not to damage the edges, corners, surface of the card? I may be able to give you some idea whether it's worth grading, provided that the scan is large and clear enough.

The card is still in my brother's possession over at his house. If and when I get together with him I will see what I can do about that.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Trading Cards   Trading Cards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 11:55 am

stevegarveyfan wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
I'm actually lucky enough to have a black & white picture of Steve Garvey hitting his first grand slam at Dodger stadium against the Cardinals ( I believe it was in 1977). My aunt who was living in Michigan at the time happened to be involved in some project/commercial with Steve in the 80's. She had him personalize the autograph to me on this sweet black & white photo which looked to be shot from the upper deck along the 1st base side.

Would you mind scanning it and posting it? I'd like to see that.

Yeah, I think it's in storage, but I'll dig it up. I have to go look for some other things. I don't have a scanner, but my brother does, so I'll let you know when this might happen.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Trading Cards   Trading Cards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 4:36 pm

I collected baseball cards between 1991 to maybe 1994 and used to subscribe to Beckett magazine. I still have thousands of card up in the attic. The highest priced card I had was a Steve Avery Upper Deck that was $40 at one point. I don't think I can sell it for $.04 today :-).
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

PostSubject: Re: Trading Cards   Trading Cards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 4:36 am

I was looking to buy some boxes of hockey cards the other day and almost no one sells them. I finally found some at Target for $20 a box. Now when I was younger you could buy a box of cards(24-36 packs per box, 12-15 cards per pack) for about $10, these days a full box of cards(24 packs per box, 5-8 cards per pack) costs anywhere from $40-$100. In the late 80's/to the mid 90's sports cards were so overly mass produced that most if not all of the cards are not worth the cardboard that they are printed on. Cards today fetch a lot of money and rightfully so because they are expensive as all hell to buy.

The cards that I found for sale were "Target Exclusives", they came with 10 packs(+ 2 bonus packs) with 8 cards in each pack for the $20. Well I went against my newly made rules and decided to pick up a box to see if I could "pull" some cool cards that might just be worth something. My first box that I bought was...

2008-09 Upper Deck MVP: 12 packs with 8 cards each and here are the pretty sweet cards that I pulled:

Alexander Ovechkin normal base card #291
Trading Cards - Page 3 Scan0012

Alexander Ovechkin: Alexander the GR8 #AO6
Trading Cards - Page 3 Scan0013

Rick Nash: Marked by Valor #MV13
Trading Cards - Page 3 Scan0015

Sidney Crosby: Marked by Valor #MV7
Trading Cards - Page 3 Scan0016

Guy Lafleur: Magnificent 7s #M7-GL
Trading Cards - Page 3 Scan0014

And I have never gotten a Jersey card but they are very popular and cool looking and I finally got one for this set and it is sweet

2 on 2 Jerseys: Dion Phaneuf & Robyn Regehr
Front:
Trading Cards - Page 3 Scan0009-1

and Dwayne Roloson & Erik Cole
Back:
Trading Cards - Page 3 Scan0010-1

I also got a bunch of rookies who may in the future prove themselves to be assets to their teams and become stars. These MVP cards are very nice looking and with the inserts that I pulled I at least doubled the amount that I paid for the box, the jersey card itself is a common card and as a common it's worth common price, which is $20!!!

Well I had to go back to the store because now I was hooked and needed to buy some more cards. I wanted to buy the same brand but they didn't have anymore so I settled on...

2008-09 Fleer Ultra: 12 packs with 5 cards per packs.

Marian Gaborik: Scoring Kings #SK14
Trading Cards - Page 3 Scan0008-1

Peter Forsberg: Scoring Kings #SK19
Trading Cards - Page 3 Scan0002

Carey Price: Franchise Players #FP8
Trading Cards - Page 3 Scan0003

Carey Price: Difference Makers DM16
Trading Cards - Page 3 Scan0006

Sidney Crosby: Difference Makers #DM11
Trading Cards - Page 3 Scan0007

Alexander Ovechkin: Season Crowns #SC1
Trading Cards - Page 3 Scan0005

Derick Brassard: Ultra Rookie Gold Medallion #201
Trading Cards - Page 3 Scan0001

Nik Antropov: Ultra Uniformity #UA-NA
Trading Cards - Page 3 Scan0004-1

With these cards I at least made 4x the $20 amount that I paid for the box. So that is pretty exciting.

I also got a couple of cool cards for my collections.

Phil Housley: 1983-84 O-Pee-Chee #65 Rookie Card
Trading Cards - Page 3 Scan0011

Brett Hull: 1991-92 Upper Deck Hockey Heros #3 of 9
This card features Brett in his college days playing for my local college UMD(University of Minnesota Duluth) Bulldogs. I thought it was neat.
Trading Cards - Page 3 Scan0017

and last but not least I don't know who this guy is or even if he still plays, but he has one of the most bad ass cards that I've ever seen.

Dean Melanson: 1990-91 7th Inning Sketch # 209
Trading Cards - Page 3 Scan0035
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: Trading Cards   Trading Cards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 12:13 pm

I don't know hockey cards from my left elbow, but those look nice.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

PostSubject: Re: Trading Cards   Trading Cards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 5:59 pm

stevegarveyfan wrote:
I don't know hockey cards from my left elbow, but those look nice.

I only know how much they are because of Beckett, but just the cards themselves are very nice looking. I just bought some 2008-09 O-Pee-Chee hockey cards from Kmart for half the price that I was paying for them at Target and those cards look like past O-Pee-Chee sets from the late 70's/80's, but with new players on them and I think that, that is a pretty cool idea.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

PostSubject: Re: Trading Cards   Trading Cards - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 12:22 am

I've started a blog about my love of hockey cards, so please check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks

http://cardboardhockey.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trading Cards   Trading Cards - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trading Cards
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3