Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FYE Downsizing?

Go down 
+6
sam
exact33
jstate
Troublezone
A Handful of Wayne
MetalGuy71
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm

Don't know if this means impending doom for all FYE stores, but I went to the Post Office today and the local FYE that's in the same shopping center is gone. Kaput. It ceases to exist. Only been in there a handful of times, but I did find a few used discs once. Oh well. Serves 'em right for the prices they charge.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 3:21 pm

I had 2 near my house. I went to go to one of them a while back and it was gone but this was way before all this recession stuff started. I still have the other one that I usually went to anyway because they seemed to carry more metal and the one in my mall which downsized a lot since they remolded it. The one in the mall used to be good but now its so small that everything seems to just be in either Rock/Country/Rap where as the other one is seperated with Rock/Metal/Rap/Country etc. sometimes that bothers me to though cause something will be in Metal that either shouldnt be there or something Metal will be in Rock. Either way their cds still are rather expensive but the used stuff is reasonably priced.

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 3:50 pm

The majority of these chain stores are doomed. They cannot compete with Amazon or the other online retailers and they also can't compete with large package stores like Best Buy or Wal Mart. FYE was easily the worst chain music store I've ever seen, prices were ridiculous and the selection was terrible, don't understand how they survived this long.

Unless you live in a large enough city to support a couple independent record stores (that cater to niche markets), online will soon be the only option.
Back to top Go down

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 4:29 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Don't know if this means impending doom for all FYE stores, but I went to the Post Office today and the local FYE that's in the same shopping center is gone. Kaput. It ceases to exist. Only been in there a handful of times, but I did find a few used discs once. Oh well. Serves 'em right for the prices they charge.
My friend worked at one. Once they got the word, it closed in about two weeks.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 6:29 pm

What made them think they could replace The Wherehouse? They didn't chang anything, their prices were pretty much the same.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 6:49 pm

My biggest complaint about FYE (besides the prices) is the way the cds are jammed into the racks and impossible to go through. The DVDs are even worse. Sometimes they'll have a cool used find but that is getting much less frequent. Mostly it is me finding something then thinking I'll get it off amazon cheaper.

At this point I hate to see any place that allows me to come in and physically look for cds go under.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 6:53 pm

It's all going full cirlce to underground trading like the old days for cassettes.

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 7:00 pm

Tower Records was the last nail in the coffin, I used to go there religiously, but when they tanked I could see the writing on the wall.

Borders used to be a great store at one time, but when they started cutting their inventory in half they became almost as useless as FYE.

So I switched to online shopping for the most part, although luckily there are quite a few good independent stores here in Austin so I can still enjoy the feeling of browsing the racks.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 7:13 pm

detuned wrote:
Tower Records was the last nail in the coffin, I used to go there religiously, but when they tanked I could see the writing on the wall.

Borders used to be a great store at one time, but when they started cutting their inventory in half they became almost as useless as FYE.

So I switched to online shopping for the most part, although luckily there are quite a few good independent stores here in Austin so I can still enjoy the feeling of browsing the racks.

Same here, but not too many independents to choose from like where you're from.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 7:17 pm

Troublezone wrote:
It's all going full cirlce to underground trading like the old days for cassettes.

It may be but it doesnt help right now that a lot of people are cutting way back on their discretionary spending. I think in general the retail market will be quite different with the potential for the likes of Sears, Kmart, Eddie Bauer, Lanes and others to be gone in this current economic rescession...

Alex

sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 7:44 pm

good bye and good riddance.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 8:09 pm

sam wrote:
good bye and good riddance.

I have to agree with this. The last time I religiously shopped at a major retailer was National Record Mart (anyone remember those?) in the early 90's. Since then it's been independant record stores and most recently, online retailers. Some dinosaurs need to die. FYE is one of them.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 8:18 pm

Quote :
Some dinosaurs need to die. FYE is one of them.

That is funny! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 8:20 pm

The only dinosaur i wish didn't go extinct is Tower. Everything else who cares...
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 8:20 pm

I'm surprised FYE is still going. With their prices and selection, they should've gone out of business YEARS ago.

It's only a matter of time. I know the FYE at my mall is always empty, customer-wise.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 8:42 pm

GAWD, I MISS TOWER RECORDS!!!!

And oh yea, screw FYE.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 10:58 pm

They have closed 2 of the 4 in my area (RI, Mass.) and the one in my town never seems to have any customers i there on the rare occasions I stop in. I go mostly to Newbury Comics or a Walmart every now and again. I have recently started doing more online shopping.Peace.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:12 am

closed the only one in my area, capoof, gone. don\'t know
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:20 am

Was FYE the wall before? I bought so many cd's from The Wall(back in the late 90's) and found a lot of my fav bands from that stores selection. I shop at FYE often as I get a 30% discount. They also have a lot of pretty cheap used discs at the one near me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:37 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
Was FYE the wall before? I bought so many cd's from The Wall(back in the late 90's) and found a lot of my fav bands from that stores selection. I shop at FYE often as I get a 30% discount. They also have a lot of pretty cheap used discs at the one near me.

Yes, the parent company of FYE bought up a bunch of smaller operations (Strawberries, The Wall, Coconuts among others) and either closed 'em up or changed them to FYE's.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 12:56 pm

haha The Wall.... remember that stupid sticker they would put on the case and if something was scratched you could return it for a new one? Genius idea!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 1:24 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
haha The Wall.... remember that stupid sticker they would put on the case and if something was scratched you could return it for a new one? Genius idea!

I'd almost forgotten about The Wall until a few months ago when I pulled one of my CDs off the shelf that hadn't been played in a long while and saw their "guaranteed for life" sticker on the back of the case.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 5:07 pm

yes haha that blue sticker, well thats the color it was when I purchased cds
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 5:10 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

I'd almost forgotten about The Wall until a few months ago when I pulled one of my CDs off the shelf that hadn't been played in a long while and saw their "guaranteed for life" sticker on the back of the case.

H ha. I'm sure if I went through my collection, I'd find a few of those blue stickers too.

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 6:36 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

Yes, the parent company of FYE bought up a bunch of smaller operations (Strawberries, The Wall, Coconuts among others) and either closed 'em up or changed them to FYE's.
They closed them all around here. All but one, anyway. Last time I checked, there was one Strawberries left in Boston, a three-story shop. Wonder if it's still there?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

FYE Downsizing? Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE Downsizing?   FYE Downsizing? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FYE Downsizing?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: