Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which era of Van Halen is better?

Go down 
+25
Addy
metalken
akeldama
mez
MetalGuy71
DallasBlack
Lurideath
journeyman
DeathCult
shamgar75
thejokeriv
the sentinel
XYZ
stepcousin
mc666
MetalRob331
sam
manny
Fat Freddy
iamrockerfun
bgast1
ultmetal
Schbopo
chucksteak
fingers
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Which era of Van Halen is better? Empty
PostSubject: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 8:34 am

Even though I respect Sammy Hagar's work with Van Halen and a fan of his solo stuff I think David Lee Roth Van halen is better because first off all wasn't so poppy ok I know 1984 has a few poppy songs on it like jump but David Lee Roth was totally against Eddie using keyboards which is one of the reasons why and quite rightly so. The main problem with albums like 5150 and ou812 is that Eddie starts to become more foccused on dominating the songs with keyboards than writing guitar riffs even though his guitar solos still rule and still has a few songs that have killer riffs and Sammy Hagar had no problem with that. But however Eddie Van Halen does a brilliant job with that piano ballad "Right Now" and he should of used a piano not a keyboard in the first place. But with the lyrics its still on the same level like Sammy's lyrics are obviously more mature since he's alot older than DLR. David lee Roth famously once said which makes sense "With my era Van Halen it makes you dance, screw and drink alcohol but Van halen with Sammy Hagar it makes you drink milk, get married and drive japanese cars".
Back to top Go down
chucksteak
Metal student
Metal student
chucksteak

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 10:02 am

DLR era. But I love both. They are just different. What about VHIII w/ Cherone? You can't blaim him for that awful album. The songs stunk. THe best part of that album were Eddie's Solos!

They have a special place in my metal heart because they were the first band I ever got into. The first album I ever bought was 1984 when I was 8 years old. I've been into the heavy ever since.

What do you think will they ever release anything new?
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 2:12 pm

DLR. No contest.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 2:18 pm

Roth, when they were a rock/metal band. The first four albums are all great!

Don't really care for the keyboardy pop stuff they did with Hagar.

Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 2:25 pm

Roth for certain.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 2:29 pm

This thread title should be "Which era of Van Halen do you prefer?".

I prefer the Roth era.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 2:42 pm

R o t h
Hagar sux
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 3:04 pm

Roth!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 3:30 pm

David Lee Roth no contest, I think the songs were better, and also David Lee Roth sings and performers with such attitude, he makes every concert seem like one big party.

I do like the Sammy Hagar era also and they wrote alot of great songs but it can't compare to the impact the original line up made not only in the world of metal but to me personally.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 3:33 pm

manny wrote:
David Lee Roth no contest, I think the songs were better, and also David Lee Roth sings and performers with such attitude, he makes every concert seem like one big party.

I do like the Sammy Hagar era also and they wrote alot of great songs

my answer as well
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 4:53 pm

Roth ERA, when someone asks me to name some VH songs, I never name Hagar ERA songs I always name the classic Roth ERA songs.

Hagar ERA had some great songs especially the more melodic type ballads.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 5:31 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Roth, when they were a rock/metal band. The first four albums are all great!

Don't really care for the keyboardy pop stuff they did with Hagar.
agreed on both

stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 7:46 pm

first 4 albums, especially the first 2. They wrote most of those songs 2 years before the s/t in 1978. But I do like every album they put out up until Carnal Knowledge or Balance era, which are ok at best. IMO Eddie got lazy and uninspired after Fair Warning and Roth was just a parody of himself by then; the joke just wasnt funny anymore. Sammy breathed new life in the band and added some muscle but by then musically they just got passed by by so many new younger hungrier rock and metal bands left them in the dust.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 7:53 pm

I'll put it this way:

I'd would prefer to see a Roth-era show live, but I'd rather hang out with Hagar-era Van Halen.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 8:59 pm

The DLR era is my favorite. I really like 5150 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, but I detest OU812. That album, to me, is the definition of "collection filler." VH, VH 2, FW, and 1984 all blow me away and dominate my car stereo in the summer time. Peace.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 9:32 pm

Roth, of course!!!!!!! I do like the Hager stuff, but the David Lee ROth era is the best!!!! I don;t even have VH III in my collection
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 10:24 pm

Roth - no contest.

Those songs had an edge to them...........except some songs on 1984.

listening to music
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 10:53 pm

manny's wife and I prefer the Hagar era.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 11:48 pm

DLR era.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 11:55 pm

Roth era, no doubt.

Hagar was good but it was really a different band and shouldn't have been called Van Halen, even if it was Ed's name. They started anew on a different course after Roth and why not change the name to reflect that. The VHIII album should have been called the Eddie Van Halen solo album with specials guests Alex, Mike and Gary.

I think that if a band makes a fundamental change that really sets it apart from what it was before, they should change the name of the band. The only reason to keep the name is to ride the coat tails of the good name that was created before the change.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 1:11 pm

the sentinel wrote:
I detest OU812.

That album has grown on me quite a bit. "Cabo Wabo" and "Source of Infection" are my favorites.

Interesting note:

The solo on "Cabo Wabo" was the first to feature the use of a wah pedal on a Van Halen record.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 2:50 pm

I bought OU812 when it first came out, listened to it once and took it back to the store the same day and traded it. Haven't heard it since. Laughing very hard

I much prefer the Gang Green EP from the same time period called I81B4U.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 5:22 pm

I don't mind 'OU812" album, and over the years it has grown on me but I hate the cover tune of Little Feat's 'A-Political Blues' just horrid and doesnot suite Van Halen's style.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 5:33 pm

I like both, but I prefer the Roth era as well.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 9:14 pm

I enjoy both eras but I see why the Roth era is prefered now that I am more familiar with it (I have the s/t and 1984). However, Van Hagar was my first foray into VH so it is closer to my heart. I especially love For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge which to me sounds closeer to the DLR stuff than most of the other Hagar material (i.e. it doesn't sound like keyboard soaked pop rock to me).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which era of Van Halen is better?   Which era of Van Halen is better? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which era of Van Halen is better?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next