Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Anthrax album... official press release

Go down 
+28
EvyMetal
Lurideath
steel warrior
MetalH
Chairman_Smith
zombiewalkin
Troublezone
Leatherface
SideShowDisaSter
7thSecond
kmorg
DallasBlack
thejokeriv
nevermore
MetalGuy71
Rex
manny
Temple of Blood
mc666
A Handful of Wayne
Thrasher73
sam
Stender
XYZ
ultmetal
Schbopo
akeldama
Fat Freddy
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 4:25 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Marc Mason wrote:
Was Bush let go in favor of this guy, or did he just move on? Because, the vocal style that Dan uses here in this live gig is very similar to Bushy. This definitely doesn't sound like a re-invention.

Bush was let go in favor of a reunion with Joey BellaDonna. After a short tour there was talk of a new album with BellaDonna but he flaked out on them and split the band. Supposedly Bush was contacted about re-joining them but by then I guess Bush decided not to bother with a band that had given him the bum's rush so they looked for a new singer and found this Dan Nelson guy.

Oh, snap, nizza. I have both the Alive 2 (Belladonna) and Music Of Mass Destruction (Bush) DVDs, and thought that the Belladonna gig was just a one-off deal. I didn't know that the band was looking to record that lineup. Was Spitz to be included? I would figure that Belladonna would be falling all over himself trying to get things right so that he could be back in front of that band. How did he blow it?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 4:46 pm

I don't know if he "flaked". I think he was expecting to get paid for his work and they would sort that out after the tour and when he didn't get any real commitment from the other guys they wanted him to do more shows and he said no.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 1:21 pm

Here is Charlie talking about Anthrax's new album:

Mark Eglinton of The Quietus spoke with Anthrax drummer Charlie Benante. Selections from the interview follow:

Q: The new record "Worship Music" was scheduled for a May release, is that still going to happen? And what stage are you at?

Charlie Benante: "Well, that was always the plan and it’s possible that it’ll still happen that way, it kind of depends how things go. The drums are done, but the vocal parts and some of the guitar stuff is happening now, and we haven’t mixed it yet. We haven’t decided where it will even be mixed - LA and New York are possible. As far as how it will sound, it will have elements of Spreading the Disease type stuff and some elements of newer stuff like We’ve Come For You All.

Q; Nobody had really heard of Dan Nelson. What was it about him that made you want him on board?

CB: "Dan’s style has a lot of the qualities John Bush had, but also he has the kind of voice that’ll suit some of our older songs. The problem is that he has to play catch up and that is never easy, we’ve been playing for twenty five years, and to catch up on that is almost impossible, but we’re really happy with how he’s doing."

Q; Joey Belladonna sang on arguably your most commercially successful material. What exactly happened with Joey?

CB: "Honestly, I could name lots of different things on lots of different days but all in all the differences were musical and the direction that Anthrax the band wanted to go and the way Joey wanted were two different things. As far as being in contact with him I am not, but I mean it’s not like Joey doesn’t have all my numbers and everything..."

Q; Do you think that your more light-hearted approach and lyrics hampered your progress over the years?"

CB: "That’s a good question. How you do depends a lot on whether your label pushes you or doesn't push you and I don’t think lyrics really make a difference. Being in a band for us was all about having a good time and our lyrics are really just our personalities coming out and we wouldn’t change that."

Q; What did you think of Death Magnetic?

CB: "Well it’s right back to what they do isn’t it. They haven’t really made a true thrash record since maybe '...And Justice For All' anyway, but yeah it’s a good album, no doubt."

Do you think that if bands released records like "Among The Living" or "Master Of Puppets" now, people would buy them like they did?

CB: "Yeah, absolutely."

Q; You’ve had your share of line-up change over the years. How much damage does that do?

CB: "You know, our main changes were singer changes, the early one then from Joey to John Bush. Then after the reunion tour in 2005 that’s when things started to go a bit wrong. But people change and what they want changes, and I‘d never blame anyone for that. It hurts the chemistry but also having someone new can add a whole new dynamic to the band... You have to remember that in heavy metal, people don’t like change and are like, 'If it ain't broke please don’t fix it!'"

Q; Have there been moments where you thought 'Smurf it, I’ve had enough’?

CB: "Seriously?, not really as bad as that. But there are times when we’re on a plane to London, then Amsterdam, then back to London, then to Australia and back to LA, when I wonder if there are better things to do. It’s all about being an adult and dealing with more adult subjects now. You might think that missing something your kid does at school doesn’t matter, but it definitely does."

Q; Would you factor that into touring this record? Metallica came home between some dates?

CB: "They do things on a completely different scale don’t they? But within our means we’ll try and maybe make it a kind of ‘tour for a bit/come home/go on tour again’ type thing and we’ll probably come to the UK."

Q; You play Bogota, Colombia next month with Iron Maiden. How did that come about?

CB: "They took us out on other shows and asked us to do this. It’s an outdoor park we’ll be playing and the best thing about it for me is that I get to play in front of however many thousand fans, AND I get to see Iron Maiden!"

Q; Finally, "Worship Music," is the pressure on or off?

CB: "For me you could say it’s off but maybe for the new guy you could say it’s on. I just want to enjoy what I am doing these days and just don’t want to do the whole smurfing record company game and so I want do things to work a bit more organically now."
Back to top Go down
steel warrior
Metal student
Metal student
steel warrior

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:19 pm

well, judging by these below, I will stay away from the new Anthrax. This sounds terrible, sorta Slipknot meets Pantera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juiP1uPph90&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS7No6ZFnOQ&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8BfWSrOSG4&feature=related
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:41 pm

Those songs sound like crap. In every sense. I'll pick this up in a couple of years when there are tons of them used online.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 4:19 pm

Anthrax should get John Bush back or retire. This new guy is annoying.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 4:51 pm

I seen them when they played with Maiden in Anaheim and it was the biggest joke to me. The singer was horrible! I was not impressed whatsoever. I was never a huge Anthrax fan anyways, but it pretty much sealed my disgust for them once I saw them.
Back to top Go down
steel warrior
Metal student
Metal student
steel warrior

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 8:30 pm

Lurideath wrote:
I seen them when they played with Maiden in Anaheim and it was the biggest joke to me. The singer was horrible! I was not impressed whatsoever. I was never a huge Anthrax fan anyways, but it pretty much sealed my disgust for them once I saw them.

Their biggest problem now is not their singer. It's the terrible music itself. But anyway, last good Anthrax cd was Sound Of White Noise, differente but quite good, and in my opinion every one that followed had been worst than the one before.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 2:04 am

xyz wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
It's Anthrax. I'll buy it.

Same here. Very Happy

Sadly, I will do the same.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 4:29 am

He sounds just like Bush on those songs.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 4:43 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
He sounds just like Bush on those songs.

Maybe in a baritone kind of way but he adds a crappy Phil Anselmo imitation also. Bush had better control of his voice imo.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 5:35 am

mc666 wrote:
as long as Charlie is playing on it, it's a definite buy for me. despite my lack of respect for the band as a whole.

Do you play drums? It seems like the only factor you care about in a band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 6:14 am

Quote :
heaviest album to date.

If I had a nickel...
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 9:49 pm

If the singer wouldn't imitate cookie vocals, this could be a better album. I will pass this one up
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 10:43 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
heaviest album to date.

If I had a nickel...

I'll take a nickel for "best album yet". Smile
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 10:49 pm

I am going give the new guy a chance and assume that he was having a few off nights during those gigs that were posted on You Tube.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:30 am

Troublezone wrote:
mc666 wrote:
as long as Charlie is playing on it, it's a definite buy for me. despite my lack of respect for the band as a whole.

Do you play drums? It seems like the only factor you care about in a band.
indeed i do, so i tend to listen for great drumming. it's far from the only factor i care about.

MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 6:32 pm

ultmetal wrote:

I'm not quite that big a fan of Anthrax, but the new guy does have a definite Dan Bush vibe about him. The new stuff I've heard on YouTube shows promise, and could be killer in final recorded form!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 9:48 pm

MetalFRO wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I'm not quite that big a fan of Anthrax, but the new guy does have a definite Dan Bush vibe about him.

Does John have a brother named Dan?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 10:08 pm

Quote :
I'll pick this up in a couple of years when there are tons of them used online.

How about two months? Nothing to make me want to get this so far which is too bad. They've done some great stuff in the past.
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 10:09 pm

As with most of the old thrash bands, I prefer their earlier work.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 11:28 pm

I have to hear actual samples of studio recordings to make a judgement on this one. No band blows me away live really theres always something I end up missing. I expect this to be a typical Anthrax release with just a different singer who might not turn out to be that bad after all. Hes not horrible and he sounds like he can pull of the Bush and Belladonna era Anthrax songs pretty well, but again I havent heard anything that wasnt produced so i'll have to wait. I dont think they would pick a guy to sing if they didnt think it wasnt going to turn out good.

PostSubject: Re: New Anthrax album... official press release   New Anthrax album... official press release - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Anthrax album... official press release
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3