Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bad Brains anyone?

Go down 
+8
Stender
manny
mc666
GrandNational
Shiney
TrogDawn
stepcousin
Troublezone
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 8:46 am

I like the album Quickness quite a bit and now i heard they are releasing a new album soon produced by MCA from the Beastie Boys. Their later stuff is more metal influenced like "I against I" and "Quickness" etc. The raggae songs are cool too.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 10:35 am

cant say I was ever a fan but if I recall they were the very first band in any genre to play fast so all of us thrash fans have to give them the nod for that.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 4:04 pm

Yep, love da BRAINS...
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 4:35 pm

Saxon strongarmed me into checking them out...and they are great!!!

I am sure Unc will weigh in as soon as he sees this thread.

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 6:20 pm

Weighing in at....WAY TOO MUCH! haha

Not only did I grow up a hardcore street punk, I have Bob Marley
tattooed on my arm. So you can imagine the 'Brains had a huge
influence on my life (still do). I was blessed enough to see them
with both HR and Isreal Joseph I. Dr Know is one of the most
under-rated guitarists ever. Completely unique sound.

It's too bad they could not have just stuck with the herb, as the hard drugs was what was to become thier demise.

I strongly urge anyone who has not had the pleasure of checking this
band out to start with "I against I". I tried to get Ult into
them years ago, but it did not stick. So, they may be a bit of an
acquired taste to most.

ps - just as a side note - they are now known as "SOUL Brains" as they wanted to take the negative out of thier monicker.
Back to top Go down

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 8:41 pm

Haven't listened to them in a long time but I've always liked Bad
Brains. It was cool to hear reggae mixed in with hardcore punk.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2007 11:13 pm

I love Bad Brains. I wonder what the new album will be like with the original members. I have the first four albums plus I once had a small E.P. that I sold. I don't know why, I guess you make a lot of stupid decisions when you're 18. But I did burn it right before selling it Laughing.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2007 12:10 am

i detest reggae, no matter what you mix it with.

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2007 8:20 am

I Against I is one of my favorite albums. I also like the two which preceded it, and The Omega Sessions. All good stuff.

)+(
Back to top Go down

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2007 9:21 am

I have a CD by them "Black Dots" released on Caroline in 1996, is this the same band ? I don't like it myself
Back to top Go down

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2007 5:18 am

Locky wrote:
I have a CD by them "Black Dots" released on Caroline in 1996, is this the same band ? I don't like it myself

It's the same band, but those were all demos. It's not a fair representation of the band. I have that CD--nothing special. Go buy (or download) I Against I, and see what we're talking about :)

)+(
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 5:25 pm

I found this thread about the Bad Brains that is over year old they made VH1's list 100 greatest hard rock bands at #99, I personally believe they should have been up higher. Great band mixing hardcore punk with reggae with elements of at least at that time, modern metal. They were/are better musicians than what are given credit for, and "I Agaisnt I" is one hell of an album. Legend has it that the vocals to the song "Scared Love" was recorded from a prison payphone when H.R. was in the hoose-goe. Dr. Know understated guitar player in a band that IMO never received their proper due.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 7:05 pm

Bad Brains rule, but I dont know if I like Human Rights better...
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 7:49 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Weighing in at....WAY TOO MUCH! haha

Not only did I grow up a hardcore street punk, I have Bob Marley
tattooed on my arm. So you can imagine the 'Brains had a huge
influence on my life (still do). I was blessed enough to see them
with both HR and Isreal Joseph I. Dr Know is one of the most
under-rated guitarists ever. Completely unique sound.

It's too bad they could not have just stuck with the herb, as the hard drugs was what was to become thier demise.

I strongly urge anyone who has not had the pleasure of checking this
band out to start with "I against I". I tried to get Ult into
them years ago, but it did not stick. So, they may be a bit of an
acquired taste to most.

ps - just as a side note - they are now known as "SOUL Brains" as they wanted to take the negative out of thier monicker.

I love the Bad Brains bout as much as Sax does it would seem Very Happy . In addition to I Against I, I'd suggest picking up their self titled album as well, they may be two of the most important albums you ever hear, Punk or otherwise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 11:48 pm

DeathCult wrote:

I love the Bad Brains bout as much as Sax does it would seem Very Happy . In addition to I Against I, I'd suggest picking up their self titled album as well, they may be two of the most important albums you ever hear, Punk or otherwise.

QFT
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 11:56 pm

Phoenix Rising wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

QFT

What?
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 2:22 am

DeathCult wrote:
Phoenix Rising wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

QFT

What?

Quoted For Truth
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 4:20 pm

mc666 wrote:
i detest reggae, no matter what you mix it with.

My buddy Kevin told me to never trust a man who doesn't like reggae, and he has more death/black/heavy metal albums than anyone I personally know. He's a weird character. No knock on you MC666.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 5:55 pm

Boy, their new album is a pile of doo-doo. They've always been overrated, in my opinion, but this one is horrible.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 10:36 am

While I don't hate it completely, they way over did it with all the dub tracks. Use that stuff sparingly and it becomes much more effective I say. Even the tracks I really dig just seem like re-trends of earlier better material. I'm a Bad Brains fanboy, but even to me this was just wasn't all it should've been. I think the Bad Brains really do their best when they use an outside producer.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 2:45 pm

Never really followed them, but had a chance to see them live in Atlanta years ago and it was a great show! These guys lit that place up with what seemed like no effort whatsoever (like a true well seasoned band). I'd see them again, easily. Cool
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Bad brains were proper..I don't like their homophobic bullshit but its like what are you gonna do? The first screwdriver album is great also but look at them.

I need to check out the new record.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bad Brains anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Brains anyone?   Bad Brains anyone? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bad Brains anyone?
Page 1 of 1