Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another form of re-recording...

Go down 
+7
Chairman_Smith
manny
the sentinel
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
11 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Another form of re-recording... Empty
PostSubject: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 1:58 pm

I know we've discussed the Ozzy re-recordings in the past and most agree that it is a travesty that the original tracks were removed and re-recorded over.

I finally scored a copy of Joshua's "Surrender" on vinyl. I was listening to it and noted that the sound, mix, and even some of the guitar solos were way different than I remembered them from my years of listening to the Ocean Records version on CD. I found out that the original recording of that album can only be found on the FM Revolver LP. Before the album was released on CD in 1992, everything except for the vocals were re-recorded and even the vocals were recorded over in one song. Robin Kyle Basauri recorded over Ken Tamplin's vocals on one track.

I know Metallica did this too. After the original Metal Massacre was released in 1982 the band decided they didn't like their version of "Hit the Lights", so they re-recorded the entire song before the second pressing.

What do you all think about this practice?

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 2:22 pm

It might be necessary in some instances. I'd have to take it on a case-by-case basis.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 2:25 pm

I'm not a fan of revisionist history, but in the end it's up to the artist and what they are comfortable with.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 2:27 pm

I would prefer to have the original released material. If the band doesn't like it, do a Twisted Sister and release it as new
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 2:28 pm

I'm not familiar with the Joshua band stuff, but to me, it sounds like it was just done to make it sound better. Same with Metallica. For better or worse, they had good intentions.

The Ozzy stuff was done out of sheer malice and spite. Sharon had a personal gripe with the original guys (sorry, the names escape me at the moment) and was done just to put the screws to them and keep them from receiving royalites.

Axl Rose supposedly re-recorded Appetite for Destruction with a whole new band with the same intentions of keeping all the publishing rights and royalties for himself. Total dick move.

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 2:43 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

The Ozzy stuff was done out of sheer malice and spite. Sharon had a personal gripe with the original guys (sorry, the names escape me at the moment) and was done just to put the screws to them and keep them from receiving royalites.

Bob Daisley, Lee Kerslake & Don Airey.

Don Airey gets a little revenge each night he plays with Deep Purple, he uses the Mr. Crowley intro during his keyboard solo. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 3:03 pm

detuned wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Bob Daisley, Lee Kerslake & Don Airey.

Don Airey gets a little revenge each night he plays with Deep Purple, he uses the Mr. Crowley intro during his keyboard solo. Very Happy

Thank you for that. I remembered Bob Daisley, but couldn't think of the others.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 3:12 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
It might be necessary in some instances. I'd have to take it on a case-by-case basis.

That's how I feel too. I think the Ozzy thing was a vindictive scam.

With Joshua I think it's much improved. Of course, I was already use to the re-recordings and didn't even know it was a re-recording until recently. I can see how someone who might have loved the original being upset that the CD release was different and even has a different vocalist on one song.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 3:37 pm

I agree that the Ozzy situation was a vindictive move. I believe that if the bands intentions were to improve the sound, then it's okay. It's their music they can do whatever they want to with it. Sometimes original source tapes are lost, like in the case of So Far...So Good, or a many years have past and a band is with a new and different record company and finally gets to record something the way they originally wanted to but at the time could not. Just my thoughts. Peace.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 3:44 pm

It depends, I remember when Kevin Dubrow released "The Randy Rhoads Years", he was upfront about re-recording the vocals on the album, he did not re-record any of the bass or drums, but the original master tapes were so damaged they had to fix them and remix the sound.

At first I thought it was cheesy that he re-recorded his original vocal performance and even re wrote some of the lyrics but I have to admit it was a major improvement over the original Quiet Riot Japanese releases. Also it did nothing to harm or alter Randy Rhoads original performances.

As far as Ozzy and Sharon's move, what a bunch of greedy bastards, if it wasn't for Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake, and of course Randy Rhoads he would have been a homeless drunk who once sang for Black Sabbath instead of the superstar that he became.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 4:24 pm

Dave Mustaine is guilty of this.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 4:29 pm

KISS's re-recorded album of KISS classics. The rumor (don't know if it is true or not) is that they did it for licsencing purposes - i.e. a movie, TV show, toothbursh wants to use a KISS song, Paul and Gene collect the royalties, Ace/Peter are cut out since they no longer are part of the licsenced work. More $$ in Gene's pocket
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 4:40 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
KISS's re-recorded album of KISS classics. The rumor (don't know if it is true or not) is that they did it for licsencing purposes - i.e. a movie, TV show, toothbursh wants to use a KISS song, Paul and Gene collect the royalties, Ace/Peter are cut out since they no longer are part of the licsenced work. More $$ in Gene's pocket

That is probably true that is why Blue Oyster Cult re-recorded some of their classics years ago and released them as 'Cult Classics'
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 4:46 pm

SOMETIMES it is necessary, but most of the time its not. I can see why some artists/bands would rerecord certain things. Ozzy ruined his 1st 2 albums doing that, but a few artists have done it very well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 6:03 pm

Not sure if anyone remembers this one:

Pink Floyd re-recorded the song Money for the compilation album "A Collection Of Great Dance Songs", because that was a Columbia release and Capitol/Harvest owned the rights to the original recording.

Another Ozzy moment, he re-recorded all the vocals for the Tribute album. (I heard the radio broadcast version once and I can see why he did).
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 6:09 pm

Chairman_Smith wrote:

Agreed. The remasters have many re-recorded parts in them.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 8:29 pm

xyz wrote:
Chairman_Smith wrote:

due to the fact (claimned by mustaine) that most of master tapes were lost from the recording sessions.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 11:46 pm

detuned wrote:
Not sure if anyone remembers this one:

Pink Floyd re-recorded the song Money for the compilation album "A Collection Of Great Dance Songs", because that was a Columbia release and Capitol/Harvest owned the rights to the original recording.

Another Ozzy moment, he re-recorded all the vocals for the Tribute album. (I heard the radio broadcast version once and I can see why he did).

I didn't know either of those. cool headbanger
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 9:19 am

sam wrote:
xyz wrote:
Chairman_Smith wrote:

due to the fact (claimned by mustaine) that most of master tapes were lost from the recording sessions.
And in most cases, it's just Dave redoing his vocals (such as several songs on Rust In Peace). I'm pretty sure he cut / changed very little of other members.

PostSubject: Re: Another form of re-recording...   Another form of re-recording... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another form of re-recording...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: