Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Eyesore's Vinyl Rips

Go down 
+2
James B.
tohostudios
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Eyesore's Vinyl Rips Empty
PostSubject: Eyesore's Vinyl Rips   Eyesore's Vinyl Rips Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 1:46 pm

I tried the vinyl ripper last night. For those that missed it elsewhere, for Christmas I received an Ion USB Turntable. It allows me to rip vinyl to MP3. Wicked. So as I rip those rare items, I'll share them. I see nothing wrong with that. If you guys think that's wrong, I won't share them. =)

Anyway, last night I gave it a whirl. I ripped Candlemass's "Black Dwarf" with Robert Lowe on vocals. This song comes from a rare 7" EP. The A side features an early version of "Demonia 6."

The first thing I learned is that iTunes is taking over the world. The "beginners" software included with the Ion requires that you have iTunes installed on your PC. Pffft! Not happening. So there's an additional program called Audacity. I know of this program, so I rolled with it. Not a fan. It was easy to record the song, but Audacity did some weird things. It associated itself with Excel files, Windows Explorer, Photoshop, InDesign and a few others. Meaning, it changed the icons to Audacity icons. Lame. It also changed my soundcard info to USB Codec, which basically muted everything. Not a big deal, right? Wrong. I also couldn't access my soundcard info; I was locked out. It also doesn't add that ID3v tag to MP3s or Wav files, so they don't play properly on some things.

So I uninstalled it and was able to change everything back. Kind of annoying, really. My coworker said he couldn't get the software to work for him, so he downloaded some other software and it worked great. I'll have to find out what that was. Audacity is not going back on my PC.

Anyway, you can't just put the song on and let it rip. You've got to adjust settings and stuff, which I never did, so this song is crap quality for the most part. But it's cool to hear, I guess:

CANDLEMASS - BLACK DWARF (feat. Robert Lowe)

Not horrible, but clearly that's not the way it should sound. I'll post more as I go along.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Eyesore's Vinyl Rips   Eyesore's Vinyl Rips Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 2:04 pm

I was afraid of that. A couple months back when I was considering getting one of these, I was reading Amazon reviews and a lot of people complained about the various software programs.

PostSubject: Re: Eyesore's Vinyl Rips   Eyesore's Vinyl Rips Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm

I'm sure there's some freeware that works fine. I just have to find it.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Eyesore's Vinyl Rips   Eyesore's Vinyl Rips Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 2:21 pm

thanks man
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Eyesore's Vinyl Rips   Eyesore's Vinyl Rips Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 9:30 pm

A friend of mine bought one of those from Newbury Comics around Halloween so we could turn some of the rarer albums in our collections (like Hawk, Dogs D' Amour, Lion, Steeler, etc.) to cd. He has had nothing but problems with it. Sad I will have to ring him on the telly and see if he has gotten it straightened out yet. Thanks for the Candlemass rip. Peace.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Eyesore's Vinyl Rips   Eyesore's Vinyl Rips Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 10:50 pm

I have been using Audacity for a couple of years now without incident. Not sure what happened with your install. Since it is freeware it does have limitations, but it is the best of the bunch in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Eyesore's Vinyl Rips   Eyesore's Vinyl Rips Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 12:32 am

journeyman wrote:
I have been using Audacity for a couple of years now without incident. Not sure what happened with your install. Since it is freeware it does have limitations, but it is the best of the bunch in my opinion.

Agree I have used this for as long as I can remember. But i only use it to record my demo tracks
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Eyesore's Vinyl Rips   Eyesore's Vinyl Rips Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 4:20 am

SWEET DOGGY
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eyesore's Vinyl Rips   Eyesore's Vinyl Rips Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eyesore's Vinyl Rips
Page 1 of 1