Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List

Go down 
+25
TH Joe
Mattallica667
MusicTilDeath
journeyman
Chairman_Smith
brontotex
kmorg
DallasBlack
HellRaiser
metalmaniac122
Stender
James B.
Neuropete
SAHB Healer
rattpoison
ultmetal
Wargod
MetalRob331
Sons-Of-Vengeance
Schbopo
akeldama
tohostudios
Addy
manny
XYZ
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List   Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 10:43 am

Buckethead is what he is known as. If he took off the masks no one would recognize him at all. Heck it could be me going out there on stage and people would wonder if its really him without the mask. Well that is until I butcher his songs .
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List   Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 10:46 am

White_Mage wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Buckethead is fabulous and very creative and has some great music out there. One word "Padmasana" one of the most beautiful guitar pieces written.

Im not baggin the guys guitar playing abilitys but his whole "gimmick" is a joke and I would respect him alot more if he dropped the act

just my opinion tho

I gotta agree with you there. I've heard some of his stuff and yes, it's pretty amazing and the guy obviously has talent. However, wearing a KFC chicken bucket on your head makes it difficult for me to take him seriously.

Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List   Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 11:04 am

Still working on it (I blame the ADD).

Revised Top 5

Jimi Hendrix - 43
Eddie Van Halen - 30
Tony Iommi - 29
Criss Oliva - 24
Ritchie Blackmore - 19
Back to top Go down
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List   Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 11:23 am

A working Top 12 (or something like that)

1. Jimi Hendrix - 43
2. Eddie Van Halen - 30
3. Tony Immoi - 29
4. Criss Oliva - 24
5. Ritchie Blackmore - 19
6t. Randy Rhoads - 16
6t. Jimmy Page - 16
8. Angus Young - 11
9. Yngwie Malmsteen - 8
10. John Petrucci - 7
11t. Eric Clapton - 6
11t. Ace Frehley - 6
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List   Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 3:41 pm

xyz wrote:

1. Jimi Hendrix - 43
2. Eddie Van Halen - 30
3. Tony Immoi - 29
4. Criss Oliva - 24
6t. Randy Rhoads - 16
6t. Jimmy Page - 16
8. Angus Young - 11
9. Yngwie Malmsteen - 8
10. John Petrucci - 7
11t. Eric Clapton - 6
11t. Ace Frehley - 6

I always feel as though this should be called Favorite guitarists. These are all great guitar players but as far as being the greatest I only agree with one on there and thats Petrucci. Good list though!!
Back to top Go down
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List   Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 4:11 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
xyz wrote:

1. Jimi Hendrix - 43
2. Eddie Van Halen - 30
3. Tony Immoi - 29
4. Criss Oliva - 24
6t. Randy Rhoads - 16
6t. Jimmy Page - 16
8. Angus Young - 11
9. Yngwie Malmsteen - 8
10. John Petrucci - 7
11t. Eric Clapton - 6
11t. Ace Frehley - 6

I always feel as though this should be called Favorite guitarists. These are all great guitar players but as far as being the greatest I only agree with one on there and thats Petrucci. Good list though!!

Your right. If it were greatest guitarists, You'd have BB King and Clapton up there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List   Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 4:34 pm

Quote :
Your right. If it were greatest guitarists, You'd have BB King and Clapton up there.

One would really have to break it down, though. Eric Sardinas can do things Clapton can't. Steve Vai can do things BB King could never dream of. And Ty Tabor can hang with any virtuoso, including Petrucci. Then, of course, there is Michael Angelo [just kidding]. So, I think it would have to be broken down into genres and even sub-genres, really. That is why "favorite" works well. It is all subjective.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List   Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 4:49 pm

Criss Oliva better be top 3 or I'm blowing this joint up, and it won't be pretty.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List   Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 5:15 pm

DenimAndLeather wrote:
Criss Oliva better be top 3 or I'm blowing this joint up, and it won't be pretty.

Going by the huge following he has on this board, I thought he'd be in the top 2.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List   Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 5:20 pm

It all comes down to a matter of taste and what works for each individual person. Why people get so hung up on "chops" and "speed" I've never understood. I'd much rather listen to David Gilmour ringing tons of passion out of a single note than listen to Petrucci practice Berkley scales all day....

But that's my opinon.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List   Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 7:16 pm

detuned wrote:
It all comes down to a matter of taste and what works for each individual person. Why people get so hung up on "chops" and "speed" I've never understood. I'd much rather listen to David Gilmour ringing tons of passion out of a single note than listen to Petrucci practice Berkley scales all day....

But that's my opinon.

Yes but Petrucci has plenty of solos that do this as well. Lines in the Sand and Peruvian Skies are 2 of the best solos in the world. As I Am from Train of Thought is also one of the best imo. It doesnt matter how fast he is going he still is hitting every right note and its soulful.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List   Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 8:11 pm

Petrucci was probably a bad example, although regardless of instrument I really hate the "music college graduate" style (this also goes for sax players, trumpet players, etc). They all come out sounding like each other, playing the same scales, patterns, etc. That's why I prefer self-taught musicians, cats who figured it out on their own.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List   Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 8:17 pm

detuned wrote:
Petrucci was probably a bad example, although regardless of instrument I really hate the "music college graduate" style (this also goes for sax players, trumpet players, etc). They all come out sounding like each other, playing the same scales, patterns, etc. That's why I prefer self-taught musicians, cats who figured it out on their own.

Spot on, i loathe those Guitar World dorks and GIT shredders. Playing guitar ain't a sport.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List   Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 12:17 am

I hear ya and those that make it a sport are a joke. Though there skill is amazing, and thats what pays the bills.
Back to top Go down
YngwieDokkenfan
Metal student
Metal student
YngwieDokkenfan

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List   Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 12:41 am

1) Yngwie Malmsteen
2) Michael Schenker
3) George Lynch
4) Slash
5) Ace Frehley
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List   Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Heart Of Metal's "Favorite Guitarist" List
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3