Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Surprises 2008

Go down 
+26
dirtracin1
Schbopo
DallasBlack
manny
zelote
sam
AngelRipper16
kmorg
ultmetal
scottmitchell74
ghost
mc666
rattpoison
Fat Freddy
TheGooch
GrandNational
jstate
MetalGuy71
mez
Lurideath
XYZ
thejokeriv
tohostudios
Temple of Blood
Thrasher73
Metal Misfit
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 6:57 am

Toxic holocaust - ...an overdose of death -> never heard of this band before and this was one heck of a way to be introduced. Thrash metal with punk delivery and a black metal attitude? Kick ass! 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 10:56 am

sam wrote:
Toxic holocaust - ...an overdose of death -> never heard of this band before and this was one heck of a way to be introduced. Thrash metal with punk delivery and a black metal attitude? Kick ass! 🤘

Oh Yeah,this is in my top 10 for 08.Great Release.I love the vocal similarities to Roger Martinez on Human Sacrifice.
Back to top Go down
zelote
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 11:39 am

Well i love two relases this year

Main Line Riders - "Shoot in the Dark"
This one was relased in 2007 , but i bought this year and i love it, great glam/punk metal here, glam never die.

Grave Robber- "Be Afraid"
Horror Punk, very very funny record
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 11:47 am

To me, the biggest surprise is that veteran heavy metal/hard rock acts like AC/DC, Metallica, and Guns n Roses all released solid albums and have sold in incredible numbers, also that for whatever reason veteran hard rock/metal bands seem to have resurged in popularity again or at least in the public conscience.

maybe this due to VH1 Classics airing classic videos and concerts, or Rockband and Guitar Hero, I don't know. But it is nice to see that our music keeps picking up new fans and getting older fans reinterested.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 6:58 pm

Like others, I was really impressed with Death Magnetic. I went from hating them after Load to loving them now.

Grave Robber took me by suprise. I'm not much into punk but this CD is just awesome.

I figured I'd like Alestorm, but that they'd be a novelty at best. I love CMR and it is one of the most fun albums this year (not quite equal to Grave Robber, but still fun).

I knew Scarecrow would be enjoyable but it turned out to be one of my favorite albums EVER.

Black Tide was another great suprise. I figured it would be just O.K. and it was only a little over $10 plus my Wal-Mart employee discount. Turned out to be a good gamble.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 7:04 pm

Another for me:
Once Dead-Visions of Hell(I wasnt expecting much especially after Ult left and a metalcore sreamer was in but this is a good album.Great guitar work)
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 7:53 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Like others, I was really impressed with Death Magnetic. I went from hating them after Load to loving them now.

Grave Robber took me by suprise. I'm not much into punk but this CD is just awesome.

I figured I'd like Alestorm, but that they'd be a novelty at best. I love CMR and it is one of the most fun albums this year (not quite equal to Grave Robber, but still fun).

I knew Scarecrow would be enjoyable but it turned out to be one of my favorite albums EVER.

Black Tide was another great suprise. I figured it would be just O.K. and it was only a little over $10 plus my Wal-Mart employee discount. Turned out to be a good gamble.

I hate Death Magnetic and will never listen to it again.

If anyone wants to take this turd off my hands, PM me.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 8:06 pm

tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

I guess I should have said "like most people" instead of "like others". I know there are a number of people who don't like it. However, I like it and that's all that really matters.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 8:32 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

I guess I should have said "like most people" instead of "like others". I know there are a number of people who don't like it. However, I like it and that's all that really matters.

And I'm still trying to sell my copy.

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 8:44 pm

Jesse James Dupree and Dixie Inc.-Rev it up and go go

I was secretly expecting a wimpy country rock album. Surprises 2008 - Page 2 811939
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 5:02 pm

Becoming The Archetype-Dichotomy: I was really not looking to get this album due to me getting bored with the last two. I thought that if they'd do more clean vocals I'd enjoy it better. When I was at Mardel I saw the demo CD so I gave it a listen. While they haven't uped the clean vocals, they have accented the brutal death metal with sypmhonic sounds (though not overbearing like Dimmu Borigir-not that DB isn't good). I would need to give this a full spin but this may be a contender for my top 30 list (I decided with the volume of new releases this year, 20 wouldn't be enough).
Back to top Go down
dirtracin1
Metal student
Metal student
dirtracin1

Number of posts : 140

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 7:04 pm

that "chinese democracy" actually was released.
Back to top Go down
plancha7
Metal novice
Metal novice
plancha7

Number of posts : 35

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 8:19 am

dirtracin1 wrote:
that "chinese democracy" actually was released.

I'm 'surprised' by how much i like Chinese Democracy. It's obviously a ludicrous, over-blown monstrosity of an album, but you can't deny it's energy and desire to entertain. There's about 150 million ideas simultaneously fighting for top billing; and for that i salute you, Axl.. you ugly, botoxed, ginger half-wit.

I was also surprised by how little the latest Iced Earth did for me. When heavy metal is boring; you're doing it wrong.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 8:58 am

Demain - building an empire

I had never heard of this before but it was sent to me in a package from SPV. I'm digging this a LOT. It sort of reminds me a bit of Devin Townsend's "terria".
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 11:27 am

DallasBlack wrote:

forgot about that one, it was a very good disc. had a great retro vibe to it.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 9:59 am

Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Lifeline350x350

The guy never seems to run out of material. Last year he made a concept album based on Martin Luther (a project that involved quite a lot of research on Neal's part). I figured that with his large album input he'd take a break. But imagine my suprise when at Virgin, I found a new album. A last minute addition to my list for best of 2008 (along with Suspyre- When Time Fades...).
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 12:43 pm

Meshuggah - (ob)Zen

who knew that palm muting 4 different dissent chords and playing out of tune jazz solos over them could actually be...entertaining.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 2:27 pm

probably far away from what we worship but ... alast day i'm enjoying this one
Surprises 2008 - Page 2 L89063vkbgz

and it's simply amazing. can't stop listening it. i'm deep into this album. it's fantastic as JF's previous release from 2005.

sorry guys Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 2:30 pm

tar 'n' feather time! lol!
Back to top Go down
AngelRipper16
Metal novice
Metal novice
AngelRipper16

Number of posts : 99

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 10:51 pm

So far the biggest surprise for me has been Stormwarrior - "Heading Northe". I had absolutely no expectations and it just grabbed me by the balls from the first listen.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 12:17 am

Blown away by: Whitesnake, Metal Church
Pleasantly suprised by: Metallica, Dokken, AC/DC
Was what I expected: Tesla
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surprises 2008   Surprises 2008 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Surprises 2008
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2