Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?

Go down 
+16
nevermore
Troublezone
DallasBlack
Lurideath
sam
kmorg
Required Fields
Thrasher73
Temple of Blood
Olafsto
biddle
Stender
Rex
ultmetal
mc666
Wargod
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 8:00 am

Blitz used to sing vocal melodies.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 8:02 am

King D wrote:
The lack of clean vocalists! Many very good thrash bands had clean vocalists in the 80s (ex: Flotsam and Jetsam, Anthrax, Toxik, Heathen, etc.), and I don't see why none of these new bands have been influenced by the likes of them. (They seem to be obsessed with Kreator and/or Exodus... sigh.)

This is my complaint about the newer bands for sure.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 8:12 am

DallasBlack wrote:
troublezone wrote:
Bring on the clean vocals! IMO it takes more talent to sound good clean than hide behind a growl.

I don't really mind the growling too much (i.e. I love Sepultura, Overkill, Ultimatum, etc.), it's the shouting (Municipal Waste, Slayer, Sacrament, etc.) that gets tiring after a while. But I agree, we need more singing.

Never really thought of my vocals as growling. Perhaps with Once Dead, but not with Ultimatum. I use some growls for effect, but overall I'm not doing the death metal growl thing.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 8:18 am

ultmetal wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
troublezone wrote:
Bring on the clean vocals! IMO it takes more talent to sound good clean than hide behind a growl.

I don't really mind the growling too much (i.e. I love Sepultura, Overkill, Ultimatum, etc.), it's the shouting (Municipal Waste, Slayer, Sacrament, etc.) that gets tiring after a while. But I agree, we need more singing.

Never really thought of my vocals as growling. Perhaps with Once Dead, but not with Ultimatum. I use some growls for effect, but overall I'm not doing the death metal growl thing.

I'ts the growls added for effect that I meant. The yelling bands don't vary from shouts or add anything to supplement them which is what bores me. You don't sound monotonous like the other vocalists, you keep it interesting.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 8:48 am

DallasBlack wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
troublezone wrote:

I'ts the growls added for effect that I meant. The yelling bands don't vary from shouts or add anything to supplement them which is what bores me. You don't sound monotonous like the other vocalists, you keep it interesting.

Thanks.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 10:54 am

The nostalgia of the older stuff plays a big part for me, but I'm really digging the newer bands. I just wonder if any of the new bands playing that style of music will have any kind of staying power, or will they just release an album or 2 and then fade into obscurity. I'm not saying they have to sell-out or go mainstream, but just get some more recognition and become more known. And I'd like to see some of the musicians step into the spotlight a little more. Who is gonna be the next Alex Skolnik or Cliff Burton or Scott Ian? Let's see some of these guys show off their chops and do something a little more orignal instead of just, for lack of a better term, re-hash the thrash riffs that the old guys made famous.

I'd agree with the "more singing/less screaming" opinion too.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 2:59 pm

Being the next Scott Ian ain't too tough IMHO.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 3:08 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I wasn't necessarily commenting on his playing ability, although I see nothing wrong with it. I was just throwing well-known names out there as an example. I could've just as easily said Blitz or Belladonna. Guys that stood out among the original thrash artisits with a unique sound.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 3:28 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I wasn't necessarily commenting on his playing ability, although I see nothing wrong with it. I was just throwing well-known names out there as an example. I could've just as easily said Blitz or Belladonna. Guys that stood out among the original thrash artisits with a unique sound.

I gotcha. ANTHRAX did have an original crunch sound back in the 80s.

I think Scott is a fine rhythm guitarist but there are plenty of guys these days who can hang with that IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 3:54 pm

Well I think if you listened to some of these newer bands in another 2 years time, you will see the next guitar virtuoso or rhythm king. Judging bands on their 1st album isn't proving a damn thing. Alex Skolnik wasn't recognized right away, and neither was Scott Ian. Don't be so damn quick to judge.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 4:24 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Well I think if you listened to some of these newer bands in another 2 years time, you will see the next guitar virtuoso or rhythm king. Judging bands on their 1st album isn't proving a damn thing. Alex Skolnik wasn't recognized right away, and neither was Scott Ian. Don't be so damn quick to judge.

I'm not criticizing or judging. I'm pulling for these guys! I honestly hope they do survive and have long careers. I want to see them succeed in some form, be it album sales, radio play or just becoming recognized for their accomplishments.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 4:55 pm

For me this is not just about thrash i tend to live in the 80's with most of my music in general. I like Def Leppard, AC/DC, Van Halen etc... I think the 70's and 80's were the golden years probably because the medium was still newer and original. Nothing against later era's of metal because i love the first Pantera album and Nevermore too.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 4:59 pm

Lurideath wrote:

Good point. But I do think Alex was the best lead guitarist in thrash already on "The Legacy" (which he recorded when he was only 17 (!!!!) ).
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 5:25 pm

Quote :
Alex was the best lead guitarist in thrash already on "The Legacy" (which he recorded when he was only 17 (!!!!) ).

True!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 5:36 pm

I understand the nostalgia for the Old School but the new stuff is pretty darn good as well. It just depends on the band.
Back to top Go down
plinioguitar
Metal novice
Metal novice
plinioguitar

Number of posts : 23

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 6:10 pm

hey guys..
in my opinion...
i think today is better...in quality of recording stuff...today we have more acessibility to record something with quality and heavy tones..the bands of today ( like toxic holocaust , Evile etc..) play more,...etc..

but you cannot compare the nostalgia of the 80´s because it´s diferent...
but i prefer the nostalgia of 2000´s Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/plinio1983
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?   Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thrash of today rival thrash of the 80's?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2