Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should album art/packaging influence a records review?

Go down 
+15
DallasBlack
Metal Misfit
MetalGuy71
EvyMetal
kmorg
Thrasher73
ultmetal
MoonChild
manny
tohostudios
Leatherface
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
Schbopo
Stender
19 posters

should album art/packaging influence a records review?
Should
Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Vote_lcap19%Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Vote_rcap
 19% [ 4 ]
Should not
Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Vote_lcap81%Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Vote_rcap
 81% [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 21

AuthorMessage
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Empty
PostSubject: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 9:06 pm

I know for myself that when buying a disc the album art can determine if I pick up an album or not...but should packaging and art be a stand alone category to take into consideration when a reviewer is rating a CD?

I dont really think so since the rating should be based off purely the music only, I'm tired of seeing a decent album get tore up by a reviewer because of its cover art being crap.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 9:12 pm

I think the review should be based on the music, but also make a mention of the packaging/art. That way if the music is crap but the art and stuff is good, then a reviewer could at least have some kind words to say.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 9:32 pm

When applicable, I will sometimes mention if a CD has cool packaging/artwork when I review it but as far as I'm concerned, it's the music that does 99 percent of the talking.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 11:21 pm

It most certainly should not for many reasons. One of them being that the art on the cover and or packaging has absolutely nothing to do with the actual music contained on the cd. I get the concept of a cover album and how the cover art is tied into the album, but it wouldn't increase or decrease my enjoyment of a particular album. I know that we are all only human and cover art (be it sexist, blasphemous, or just downright gross) can subjectively influence our like or dislike. Another reason you can't judge an album by it's cover is that the band often times has nothing to do with what goes on the cover. Example: Scorpions, "Virgin Killer." Is there a particular review that you are referring to, Stender? Just curious. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 1:10 am

No.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 8:04 am

Nope. I don't care if the disc comes in a cardboard slipcase with no art at all if I like the music. Conversely, the slickest, coolest packaging in the world can't atone for crappy music.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 8:54 am

Either the music is good or it isn't. Cool album art and how is packaged is the icing the cake.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 9:12 am

No
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 9:14 am

I think packaging is a very important plus, but its the music that should be reviewed. However, if you don't care about the packaging at all, then you might as well go all digital. But I feel like there is something fake about just owning digital, like you somehow aren't as much of a fan. I don't know, that's my personal hangup.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 10:15 am

I like to know when an album has cheap packaging. It doesn't have to effect the review of the music itself, but it's cool if the reviewer mentions something about the cover art, packaging, etc. I tend to do that on many of my reviews.

This is small part of my Ozzy Black Rain review:
Quote :
I have a bit of a gripe about the packaging for the U.S. release. The CD is packaged in a cheap, thin, grey, cardboard sleeve with no cd tray or booklet. No lyrics, no liner notes, not even a stinkin' photo. This wouldn't be so bad if this album were sold at a discounted price. Instead, the I've seen prices on this CD at $15.99 and above. I purchased my copy at Hasting's the day it was released for the sale price of $11.99. Best Buy also had the CD on sale the week of it's release for $9.99. Apparently the record company is calling this cheap packaging "eco-friendly", because the CD sleeve made out of recycled paper. The lack of a booklet is said to "save paper." Ahhh, I guess giving the fans a five cent paper sleeve, instead of a quality package is one way to make a few more bucks. Ahhh, "The Almighty Dollar".

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 10:21 am

I do hate the so called "eco -friendly" packaging, which I noticed Walmart is re-releasing a lot of greatest hits album in this type of packaging. I hate this packaging, I prefer a jewel case.

Also how is this protecting the enivoriment? when I buy the CD I don't throw away the jewel case. I doubt that landfills are full of jewel cases.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 10:33 am

I hate the trend of putting the CD in an envelop instead of holding it in position with a spindle. Several of my latest purchases have gotten all scratched up because the fall out of the stupid envelope.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 10:45 am

I think the review should be about the music first and foremost.If the artwork/packaging is cool then thats an added bonus.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 12:38 pm

I don't rate the music based on the packaging, but I still mention the packaging in may of the write-ups. It's a part of the experience for me, so I guess it is the same for money others as well.

Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 3:20 pm

If the artwork sucks, the packaging sucks, AND the music sucks, I'll make a point of it. Other than that, it really doesn't matter.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 3:28 pm

I voted that it should not. It's ultimatley the music that counts.

That being said, I do feel disappointed when the packaging/artwork is lame. I hate when a band puts in a little 2 fold inset without lyrics/pics/etc. It's just part of the whole cd buying experience, something the "download" generation will never understand.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 12:17 am

I am absolutely loving the budget line from WalMart due mainly to the decreased price. I am picking up the entire AC/DC catalogue at $7 a piece (except for B in B and Live) when the local record stores are asking $10-$13 for used copies. They all have full color booklets and a spindle affixed to the cardboard. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 3:21 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
It's just part of the whole cd buying experience, something the "download" generation will never understand.

I'm part of that generation, and I understand it.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 10:30 pm

Of course not. I've seen places rate packaging on the side, but it should never have a say in the actual music.

Fat Freddy wrote:
When applicable, I will sometimes mention if a CD has cool packaging/artwork when I review it but as far as I'm concerned, it's the music that does 99 percent of the talking.

Where do you review at?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 12:24 am

Who voted that it should? Why? scratch

Schbopo wrote:
I think the review should be based on the music, but also make a mention of the packaging/art. That way if the music is crap but the art and stuff is good, then a reviewer could at least have some kind words to say.

I agree with this assessment.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 12:32 am

for me it can
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 5:18 pm

Never.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 10:32 pm

nevermore wrote:
Never.

more Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
TH Joe
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
TH Joe

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 3:06 am

Cool cover art is rad. But it doesn't have anything to do with the music itself.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 3:15 am

ultmetal wrote:
I like to know when an album has cheap packaging. It doesn't have to effect the review of the music itself, but it's cool if the reviewer mentions something about the cover art, packaging, etc. I tend to do that on many of my reviews.

This is small part of my Ozzy Black Rain review:
Quote :
I have a bit of a gripe about the packaging for the U.S. release. The CD is packaged in a cheap, thin, grey, cardboard sleeve with no cd tray or booklet. No lyrics, no liner notes, not even a stinkin' photo. This wouldn't be so bad if this album were sold at a discounted price. Instead, the I've seen prices on this CD at $15.99 and above. I purchased my copy at Hasting's the day it was released for the sale price of $11.99. Best Buy also had the CD on sale the week of it's release for $9.99. Apparently the record company is calling this cheap packaging "eco-friendly", because the CD sleeve made out of recycled paper. The lack of a booklet is said to "save paper." Ahhh, I guess giving the fans a five cent paper sleeve, instead of a quality package is one way to make a few more bucks. Ahhh, "The Almighty Dollar".

My copy of Bathory - Blood Fire Death is similar. The other side is completely black, and there are no lyrics, no photos, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should album art/packaging influence a records review?   Should album art/packaging influence a records review? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should album art/packaging influence a records review?
Page 1 of 1