Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The new Metal Church album

Go down 
+11
kmorg
Tall Tyrion
Lurideath
mez
mc666
sam
Thrasher73
the sentinel
ultmetal
steel warrior
Troublezone
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

The new Metal Church album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The new Metal Church album   The new Metal Church album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 5:21 pm

I realy liked A LIGHT IN THE DARK but when i listen to some samplers of their new album i was a little disapointed. Didnt sound so heavy. Maybe i have to give it a try and just buy it.
I will see them live with OVERKILL in 2009, only 30 km from my home town in the south of Spain. COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: The new Metal Church album   The new Metal Church album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 6:15 pm

Nazgul wrote:
Quote :
It was US sales

Which shows how image driven the US is.

sad, isn't it? US mainstream= angry
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The new Metal Church album   The new Metal Church album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:19 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Nazgul wrote:
Quote :
It was US sales

Which shows how image driven the US is.

Or how much nobody in America knows who Metal Church is aside from people who knew them in the 80s...

That would be me. I loved Metal Church in the 80's and still love 'em now. Purchased the new CD and am loving it. Vocals are great. The songs are mostly mid-paced. I would have liked to have had one or two faster songs, but still, a very good Metal Church album. "Crawling to Extinction" sticks out in my mind as a standout track. headbanger

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: The new Metal Church album   The new Metal Church album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 1:51 pm

I have a hard time calling them power metal because to me that has a dungeons and dragons stigma. I think they're just plain metal.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The new Metal Church album   The new Metal Church album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 2:31 pm

troublezone wrote:
I have a hard time calling them power metal because to me that has a dungeons and dragons stigma. I think they're just plain metal.

The definition of power metal certainly has changed over the years. Bands like Metal Church defined power metal in the 80's. Now Metal Church is considered classic metal, or traditional metal. The thing is, when Metal Church came out they were much more aggressive than what was then called heavy metal, yet it wasn't quite as thrashy as Exodus, Slayer and Megadeth, so the term POWER METAL was invented for bands who rode that fence between the two styles. Not sure how it became flowery, progressive, keyboard-drenched, dungeon & dragons metal.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: The new Metal Church album   The new Metal Church album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 11:53 am

ultmetal wrote:
troublezone wrote:

The definition of power metal certainly has changed over the years. Bands like Metal Church defined power metal in the 80's. Now Metal Church is considered classic metal, or traditional metal. The thing is, when Metal Church came out they were much more aggressive than what was then called heavy metal, yet it wasn't quite as thrashy as Exodus, Slayer and Megadeth, so the term POWER METAL was invented for bands who rode that fence between the two styles. Not sure how it became flowery, progressive, keyboard-drenched, dungeon & dragons metal.

Nice defeniton, Ult. I have been wondering how that happened myself. I personally feel there are too many genre classifications. More bands should simply be classified as straightforward heavy metal instead of people trying to pigeon hole everyone into a nice compartmentalized box so that people are assured of liking them before ever hearing them. Peace.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: The new Metal Church album   The new Metal Church album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 12:00 pm

mez wrote:
mc666 wrote:
it's just classic Metal Church. if you liked them before, they aren't giving you a reason to stop.

Well said! Love the album, but read on a site ( I think Blabbermouth) that they only sold 960 the first 2 weeks! That is sad, if it is true.

I bought mine new on it's release day for $16.99 at Newbury Comics; they have recently lowered the price to $9.99 for a new copy at NC if anyone wants to know. It is sad how little the U.S. buys real metal anymore.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The new Metal Church album   The new Metal Church album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 12:51 pm

After over two weeks this album has really grown on me which is the best kind to me. Munroe's vocals are great on this and they have some great riffage going, almost like from The Dark era. Anyone on the fence give this a chance, a great metal album from one of the best. Crawling To Extinction and A War Never Won are awesome songs.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: The new Metal Church album   The new Metal Church album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 2:52 pm

the sentinel wrote:
mez wrote:
mc666 wrote:
it's just classic Metal Church. if you liked them before, they aren't giving you a reason to stop.

Well said! Love the album, but read on a site ( I think Blabbermouth) that they only sold 960 the first 2 weeks! That is sad, if it is true.

I bought mine new on it's release day for $16.99 at Newbury Comics; they have recently lowered the price to $9.99 for a new copy at NC if anyone wants to know. It is sad how little the U.S. buys real metal anymore.

it will probably sell better in europe. i have not seen any good reviews in the european press though
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: The new Metal Church album   The new Metal Church album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 2:54 pm

I've had the new MC for a couple of weeks now. I gave it a few spins for a day or two after I received it, went "meh" and threw it back on the shelf. I still have to review it though so hopefully it'll grow on me when I put it on next time.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: The new Metal Church album   The new Metal Church album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 2:58 pm

metal hammer gave it 5/10 and described it as tame in the wake of the old guard finding a new fire
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: The new Metal Church album   The new Metal Church album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 3:51 pm

Metal Church ain't been Metal Church in a while now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The new Metal Church album   The new Metal Church album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 1:34 pm

The 73rd thrasher gave me a promo CDR of this new album, and I really dig it. It's very mid paced which I tend to really like. My favorite songs are "Deeds of a Dead Soul" and Crawling To Extinction". Sure this isn't the same band that we all grew up with but they still have some good music to offer.

Now I need to get my grubby paws on "Masterpeace".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The new Metal Church album   The new Metal Church album - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The new Metal Church album
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: