Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Armored Saint = Alice in Chains

Go down 
+4
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
AchrisK
8 posters
AuthorMessage
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Empty
PostSubject: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 11:06 am

Anyone ever notice the similarities between early Alice in Chains and Armored Saint? Ok, I am not very familiar with much Armored Saint, but I have been listening to Delerious Nomad, and I have noticed it is sometimes very much like Alice in Chains - Facelift. In fact, the song Long Before I Die could be lifted from the AS album and placed on Facelift, and nobody would ever question it (unless thay already knew Armored Saint). Even the singing is very similar.

I know many people think of AiC as just some trendy (at the time) grunge band, but their roots are definitely in metal, and Facelift is very metal.

So how does other Armored Saint compare to Delerios Nomad, because I am liking it.

ack
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 11:14 am

Never noticed any similarities. I like Armored Saint quite a bit, I haven't heard much from Alice in Chains that I've liked. Of course, I also haven't given them much of a chance either.

If you like Delerious Nomad, you should like all their material. My favorites are March of the Saint and Symbol of Salvation.

Last edited by on Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 11:16 am

Wow. That's some stretch. I'll have to listen to both and see if I hear the compairisons.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 12:36 pm

I can't say I've ever noticed any similarity between the two bands, even though I dig both. AIC seemed more Sabbath based to me, whereas Armored Saint were more Priest/Maiden inspired.

Funny that this topic came up because over the weekend I dusted off my Armored Saint A TRIP THRU RED TIMES video cassette for the first time in many moons! 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 12:41 pm

I can TOTALLY hear Armored Saint doing "We Die Young"...
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 1:01 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I can't say I've ever noticed any similarity between the two bands, even though I dig both. AIC seemed more Sabbath based to me, whereas Armored Saint were more Priest/Maiden inspired.
that was my thinking too, although i liked them both.

AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 1:40 pm

The similarities that I see pretty much stop after Facelift. AiC got more "grunge" (I guess), more unique and less "metal". I still really like most of what they did (not too familiar with their self-titled).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 4:29 pm

AchrisK wrote:

So how does other Armored Saint compare to Delerios Nomad, because I am liking it.

ack

Get Symbol Of Salvation, it's their best album. There is a 3 disc
edition of it that was released a few years back with demos and an
interview and it normally cost about $15 to $20.

I've never noticed a comparison between the two bands music. I
might go listen to some of both bands music but they never sounded too
similar to me.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2007 4:42 pm

Well, like I said, if you listen to Dirt or Jar of Flies by AiC, you're not going to see the similarity. It's mostly with their album Facelift, and AS - Delerious Nomad.

ack
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2007 8:15 am

AchrisK wrote:
Well, like I said, if you listen to Dirt or Jar of Flies by AiC, you're not going to see the similarity. It's mostly with their album Facelift, and AS - Delerious Nomad.

ack

True. AIC was less Sabbathy & dirgy on "Facelift"...more straight heavy...and like I said, "We Die Young" could easily be an Armored Saint song...
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2007 10:54 am

I listened to a bit more than half of Facelift today in my car. What a fantastic album. Anyway, when listening to it, I don't make the connection. But then, I am much more familiar with it than I am with any Armored Saint. I just never really got into AS for whatever reason. Wasn't even really exposed to them much through the years. But having been familiar with Alice in Chains, and hearing Delerious Nomad, I immedeately thought of AiC. I think it's a vocal quality and possibly enunciation similarities between Lane Stanley and John Bush. Obviously when Lane really gets into some more intense or diverse vocals, they don't sound the same. But somewhere in the middle I think they are very similar.

ack
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2007 1:44 am

Well, I do feel that John Bush brought more of a "Modern" sound to certain Anthrax songs. That much I can see.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2007 2:20 pm

I don't see it. Both Facelift and Dirt are GREAT cd's (I know, it's considered grunge, but still great CD's). I have to agree that the first 2 AiC are more metal than grunge.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 10:22 pm

I listened to "Facelift" today and although it wouldn't have come to my mind, I could see the comparison. When he's not doing the long drawn-out moan, Layne sorta kinda sounds like John Bush and the music definately has a metal-vibe moreso than grunge.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 5:09 pm

Wow!!! Finally someone out there is on the same page as me.

I only recently got into Armored Saint by what all has happened to John Bush with Anthrax. I was checking Ults reviews and found out Bush was in Armored Saint, so I bought the most recent "Revelations" and then bought them all, thanks to Ults praises on the albums.

Strangely enough I was listening to Symbols by AS and then Mad Season ( a side project for Layne Stanley) today and I cant help but put the singers in a close catagory.

I have said for a long time now to my friends that Bush should pick up the singing spot for AIC's now cause he could pull off all those songs plus give them a successful start again. I think Bush is the link for me to both bands. I think Layne had a bit of a voice like Bush but Bush has such range and ability. Oh dont get me wrong they are not alike to where they are mimicing each other, but are similar sounding voices. I think Bush is the much stronger of the two, even though I have been a fan of AIC longer then AS. That is only from ignorance on my part. I also agree that musically AS and the first album of AIC are very close compared to the rest of what AIC brough out, which I feel progressively got worse each album. It wouldnt suprise me if AIC were fans of AS, and have some influence from them.

I think Bush would do a great job of continuing AIC (though it wont happen) I am more interested in him doing more AS albums instead, or even Anthrax (not gonna happen) but I wish he would put more out soon from any band, besides the Burger King commercials. Somehow they dont have the same affect Smile
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 9:00 pm

Two of my favorite AiC songs - the second link is some kids fighting to the song (dam the river), but it does have the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkM38vmFuAw&mode=related&search=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ1hy0Gqug8

Plus, Anthrax w/ John Bush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW0HeE9ymYU

Now that I've listened to Layne and John back to back, I can see some similarity.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 9:13 pm

On further review, I think Paul Stanley was listening to "Dam The River" by AiC before he worte "Master & Slave" - anyone agree?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ1hy0Gqug8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfU2TqpoiCE
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2007 9:30 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Same here. I don't hear any real similarities, but I would love to hear John Bush sing that...

)+(
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2007 3:06 pm

STIGMATADOR wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Same here. I don't hear any real similarities, but I would love to hear John Bush sing that...

)+(

John Bush would rip that song a new 'hole!! 🤘
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2007 12:56 am

I must admit I've always liked the AIC tune "down in a hole" simply crankin' stuff !!!

But Armored Saint are legend. I've seen 'em several times. I always loved the 'raising fear' album.... 'chemical euphoria'....
From 'march of the saint'...MUTINY ON THE WORLD !!
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Armored Saint = Alice in Chains   Armored Saint = Alice in Chains Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Armored Saint = Alice in Chains
Page 1 of 1