Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FYE

Go down 
+9
Fat Freddy
Stender
tohostudios
the sentinel
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
manny
Schbopo
A Handful of Wayne
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

FYE Empty
PostSubject: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 7:59 pm

Does anyone here shop at FYE? Now with all of my mom and pop shops closing I'm forced to buy my cds from their most of the time. So just about every Tuesday I'm there and every single time they ask me if I have their discount card and every time I give them the same answer NO and I dont want it.

I was wondering does anyone have this card? I think it costs like $18 a year or something and you get like 10% off. I believe you get a little more off when you shop online too. I almost thought about getting it the other day but it just didnt make sense to me to pay for a card to get a discount to somewhere I shop almost every week. They should just give it to me for free. Even the guy said to me your here all the time so youd save money. I still told him No.

Also another thing that bothers me and I know they have to ask but as soon as I walk in that damn door they always ask do you need help finding something today? Not once have I ever asked them for help cause I know that store better than they do lol I just wish they would stop asking me!

So back to my question after my long ranting....Does anyone have this card? lol

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 8:03 pm

I shop there. I like their selection but sometimes the prices are a bit too much. I've said this before, but The Blessed Hellride was $20!

angry

Last edited by Schbopo on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 8:03 pm

No I don't have the card because it isn't worth the price, I shop FYE only once in awhile to see what used cds they have, 95% I am disappointed in their selection.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 9:05 pm

I go to the local FYE all the time, but I only purchase used cd's. Their regular items are way to expensive for my cheap-a$$.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 9:20 pm

FYE is about the only cd shop close to where I live.I've bought from them quite a few times but I mainly just look at their used stuff.I cant see giving 18-20 bucks for new cds.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:02 pm

They have to ask you it's retail. It's called the "10 Rule" A customer should be greeted within 10 seconds of entering the store and/or within 10 feet of you (the sales associate).
I hate FYE, I have ranted about them somewhere else on this board. I shop there very infrequently, and when I do, it's only for used CD's and only when they have the buy 3 get 1 free promotion. Their selection is deplorable. the local store (Warwick, RI) is a two story affair (former Strawberry's music store) where the new is on the first floor and the whole second floor is used. I have yet to find anything out of the ordinary or rare. On the occasion something OOP or import metal does come in they mark it for like $40 or $50. I remember last summer they had Lita Ford's first album and wanted $75 for it.
I don't have their card, I don't want their card. I am very distrustful of any "rewards" cards that you have to purchase. The f##kin' card should be free. I am a bit testy on this subject b/c I got the GNC Gold card for $15 (and saved $13 that same night so, the card only cost me two bucks), and then went back to use it again a few weeks later for more gear and was told it was only good for the first 7 days of each month. How ludicrous, GNC is basically limiting their sales opportunities to the first week of the month. Anyway, I am off my soapbox. i hope you have better experinces with thme than I have had. Peace.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:02 pm

Well I usually get cds when they come out so usually their only around $12-$14 depending on who it is. Otherwise they are expensive and I dont really buy too many new cds from them that arent one sale. Mine has been having a good selection of used cds lately, but its a shame that I either have most of it or dont like the bands.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:04 pm

lol my store isnt anything like yours at all.

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:06 pm

I remember as a kid of Schobopo's age (12-13) getting cassettes at National Record Mart in my hometown for $5.99 each. I remember buying Poison's and Tesla's debuts for that price as well as Helloween's Keeper Part 1 all for less than 6 bucks a piece. Its just outrageous what record shops charge for music these days. I hope they all do go under, and quickly.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:08 pm

I've totally given up buying CDs from the brick and mortar stores.

Aside from the fact that most of the Ma and Pa CD stores around me don't exist anymore, I find I can get CDs for much less from sources like Amazon zShops.

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:10 pm

Yep, I'm the same way, toho. It's pretty liberating to be able to click a button a a CD that you couldn't find in a local shop will be delivered to you in a reasonable amount of time. The brick and mortars only have the instant gratification thing going for them now, if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:13 pm

There are really no Ma and Pa stores at all anymore in my area. The only 2 I go to is the one that is reopening in November, Luke's Records in Pawtucket, RI and Jelly's Discs in Worcester, Mass.

Yeah, spec, i remeber buying Mechanical Resonance on cassette in 1986 as well. And then buying another 2 years later when I played the first one so much it snapped. LOL. Peace.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:15 pm

I must admit I do miss going to a record shop and walking up to a listening kiosk where the store employees have picked their favorites for the month. I found more artists that I'd never heard of before that way.

Now I rely on message boards to clue me in to such artists.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:16 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Yep, I'm the same way, toho. It's pretty liberating to be able to click a button a a CD that you couldn't find in a local shop will be delivered to you in a reasonable amount of time. The brick and mortars only have the instant gratification thing going for them now, if you ask me.

I don't buy anything online at all. I will, however, be going to ebay soon to complete the last 100-150 or so CD's on my "all time" want list simply b/c that is the only place to find the rare and oop metal I am looking for. Peace.
Back to top Go down

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:17 pm

I've gotten more musical info from this message board than I ever did from a mag or CD store in my life.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:19 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I must admit I do miss going to a record shop and walking up to a listening kiosk where the store employees have picked their favorites for the month. I found more artists that I'd never heard of before that way.

Now I rely on message boards to clue me in to such artists.

I am truly glad that we have this little community here (and Ult's "No Life page) b/c it has introduced me to a few new bands (Stratovarious, Symphony X, Blind Gaurdian, Firewind, et al.) that I might never have gotten into. Peace.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:19 pm

the sentinel wrote:
spectrefate wrote:

I don't buy anything online at all. I will, however, be going to ebay soon to complete the last 100-150 or so CD's on my "all time" want list simply b/c that is the only place to find the rare and oop metal I am looking for. Peace.

That is downright astounding!

I've bought over 160 CDs this year and I'd estimate 97% were bought online. If I didn't buy CDs online, I'd have about half as many CDs as I currently own.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:37 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I've gotten more musical info from this message board than I ever did from a mag or CD store in my life.

Same here and its been both good and bad. Good that I found some new bands bad that Im now broke lol!

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:44 pm

You guys that have that FYE place in your town should be lucky despite those prices, If I want to go to a record store I have to drive 45min at least to Eugene to a independent music store called CDworld that is pretty similar to FYE in terms of service and price.

I'm with spec and Toho, buying online rules!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 10:57 pm

I'm buying less & less in retail stores (FYE, Best Buy, Walmart & Target) anymore. I'd say in the last year, 90% of my purchases have been either on-line, used (flea markets, Goodwill, etc.) or mom & pop shops. And those mom & pop shops are dropping like flies.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:02 pm

I haven't been to an FYE in a while but like MG71, even when I did shop there on a semi-regular basis, I'd troll thru the used stuff and completely ignore the "regular" price CDs. Charging $19.99 for a CD in this day and age is ridiculous. And oh, wow, when it goes on "sale" it's $17.99? Do me a favor and don't do me no favors.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:05 pm

They had Yes' Magnification for $3, new, so that was pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:07 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I haven't been to an FYE in a while but like MG71, even when I did shop there on a semi-regular basis, I'd troll thru the used stuff and completely ignore the "regular" price CDs. Charging $19.99 for a CD in this day and age is ridiculous. And oh, wow, when it goes on "sale" it's $17.99? Do me a favor and don't do me no favors.

I was in there the other day and saw W.A.S.P.'s latest Dominator for $29.99. Now I know it's an import, but $30? No wonder people download for free.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:07 pm

Not a fan of FYE - WAY too $$$$. I usually buy at best buy or online
Back to top Go down

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 11:08 pm

I paid 30 bucks for it on the day of release because I'm stupid fanboy like that, but for it to be still 30 bucks over a year later is, as Eyesore would say, wicked retarded.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

FYE Empty
PostSubject: Re: FYE   FYE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FYE
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: