Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How come Saxon never????

Go down 
+6
kmorg
mc666
stepcousin
ultmetal
mr.electric39
Wargod
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

How come Saxon never???? Empty
PostSubject: How come Saxon never????   How come Saxon never???? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2007 7:40 pm

How come Saxon never got the huge acclaim as Judas Priest/Iron Maiden did?

I mean Saxon came around the same time as Iron Maiden did but later than Judas Priest. Saxon had some great music and still does, if you don't believe me get their new cd "The Inner Sanctum" it is great as hell! All 3 bands have endured hard ship and everything and still today remain some of the best metal bands ever!

Just don't get it, glad I gotr to see them in 1983!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How come Saxon never????   How come Saxon never???? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2007 7:49 pm

They were almost on the same level as Maiden and Priest the world over,
except here, in the states. I honestly think they tried too hard
to break in America. But that is ok.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: How come Saxon never????   How come Saxon never???? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2007 8:33 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
They were almost on the same level as Maiden and Priest the world over,
except here, in the states. I honestly think they tried too hard
to break in America. But that is ok.

totally agree.... too hard trying to be radio 'friendly' with 'Innocence is No Excuse' and 'Destiny'. I loved saxon but when they couldn't figure out if they wanted to be Maiden of Leppard I lost some interest.

On the 'Destiny' tour I saw them on the final night of their American tour. A club in Oakland California. It was the absolute best !! they played...
Motorcycle Man
Power and The Glory
Heavy Metal Thunder
Dallas 1 pm
Denim and Leather
Princess of the Night
Ride Like the Wind (had to include 1 tune from their current disc)
This Town Rocks
Crusader
Just let me rock
747 (Strangers)
Redline
Wheels of Steel
Stand Up and Be Counted

But when all was said and done they came to the stage after 10mins for a 2nd encore and my played my favorite Saxon tune "Strong Arm of The Law"...

My buddy dave and I simply had a riot.... some dude lept from the balcony held onto the overhead beam at the omni before fallling into the crowd.... crazy..... 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: How come Saxon never????   How come Saxon never???? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2007 9:45 pm

Quote :
They were almost on the same level as Maiden and Priest the
world over, except here, in the states. I honestly think they tried too
hard to break in America. But that is ok.

That's what I think as well.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: How come Saxon never????   How come Saxon never???? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2007 11:07 pm

Maiden and Priest were pioneers of and huge influences of thousands if not more bands still to this day. I dont think Saxon had that kind of impact. Yes they were good at what they did, made great music but i dont think they were legends in a sense that they changed the face of rock or heavy metal forever like Priest Or Maiden did.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: How come Saxon never????   How come Saxon never???? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2007 12:58 am

stepcousin wrote:
Maiden and Priest were pioneers of and huge influences of thousands if not more bands still to this day. I dont think Saxon had that kind of impact. Yes they were good at what they did, made great music but i dont think they were legends in a sense that they changed the face of rock or heavy metal forever like Priest Or Maiden did.
that's what i think as well.

except Saxon never made "great" music. they made ok music.

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: How come Saxon never????   How come Saxon never???? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2007 4:47 am

Yeah, they tries too hard on breaking into the American market, and lost the Englissh public in doing so. So when the US didn't fall for it, they went back to a home audience who no longer saw them as "theirs".

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: How come Saxon never????   How come Saxon never???? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2007 6:06 am

I agree with many of you too. I still like those American sounding SAXON too but i understand that they lost many fans by releasing them. Same happend with RAVEN, they also did some American sounding albums but they never made new fans, only lost some old ones. Sad but true.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28594

PostSubject: Re: How come Saxon never????   How come Saxon never???? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2007 10:31 am

I would say that they tried to go too commercial at some point in the 80s, and that didn't work for them. They are a cool band and all, though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: How come Saxon never????   How come Saxon never???? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2007 11:24 am

I was always a big fan of Saxon, and that is what I am still. They were together with Priest, Motörhead and Maiden one of the first Metal band I used to listen too. I think they did great albums which rank at the level of the other mentioned bands. For me the are a legend. I even like the albums which are called commercial.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: How come Saxon never????   How come Saxon never???? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2007 12:42 pm

Well all good points either way they are still great and even better now!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: How come Saxon never????   How come Saxon never???? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2007 12:05 am

Saxon never had their "piece of mind" or "screaming for vengeance" break through album. Saxon have alway been a really good band teetering on the edge of greatness.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How come Saxon never????   How come Saxon never???? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2007 11:57 am

I have yet to hear any Saxon material that has hit me as hard as Maiden & Priest material has...good band, though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How come Saxon never????   How come Saxon never???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How come Saxon never????
Page 1 of 1