Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Selvmord
Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Number of posts : 238

Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up Empty
PostSubject: Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up   Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 10:19 pm

Found this at Best Buy (of all places) when I got the new Metallica. I had heard it, but I could never seem to find it anywhere (at a store at least.) Anyone else digging this one? I think it's pretty great!

Thank God It's Highday............
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

PostSubject: Re: Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up   Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 10:20 pm

I've seen along with the new Kings X, but haven't picked up either yet. Is it similar to any of his older stuff? I really love Emotional Animal and Poundhound's Pineappleskunk.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up   Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 10:23 pm

To me it's better than Poundhound, really good stuff, sometimes on Poundhound you feel like Dug is just going through the motions, this album sounds like he is really having a good time.
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

PostSubject: Re: Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up   Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 10:24 pm

Well then... Maybe I'll pick it up soon. I guess there's just been a few other things that I wanted to get first.
Back to top Go down
Selvmord
Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up   Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 10:27 pm

Hamer12 wrote:
To me it's better than Poundhound, really good stuff, sometimes on Poundhound you feel like Dug is just going through the motions, this album sounds like he is really having a good time.

I'll agree with that. I really liked Massive Grooves, but this one doesn't really sound like that album at all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up   Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 10:28 pm

It's the most "King's X sounding" of Pinnick's solo releases. It's a really good album, the addition of Wally Farkas on lead guitar takes some of the pressure off Doug to fill in that particular void (he's an alright guitarist, but not a great lead player).

Most of the songs are split into two parts, the first section being the vocal and the second section being instrumental jams (there really aren't actual breaks between the songs, they just added track ID's for the instrumental parts).

Doug is able to explore more of his funky side on this record and there's also some heavier material as well. The track Cross It is worth the purchase price alone, one of the coolest songs he's ever recorded. Other standouts include: Life Is What You Make It, A Perfect World and Damnit.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up   Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 10:30 pm

I've had the privilege of meeting & talking to him quite a few times, he is truly a genius & one of the most real people I have ever met, a really cool dude.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up   Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 10:34 pm

Hamer12 wrote:
I've had the privilege of meeting & talking to him quite a few times, he is truly a genius & one of the most real people I have ever met, a really cool dude.

Yeah, I've had the pleasure of speaking with Doug on a few occasions (and Ty as well). I've been going to King's X shows non-stop since 1991, sometimes multiple times per tour.
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

PostSubject: Re: Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up   Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 10:35 pm

Thanks for the review Detuned. I'm heading to Best Buy after work tomorrow, I think I'll pick this up.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up   Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 12:30 pm

It's really good and well worth picking up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up   Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 2:19 pm

There's a thread out there with this same exact subject title.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up   Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 2:32 pm

Eyesore wrote:
There's a thread out there with this same exact subject title.

Hey cats, SCRAM...it's the Thread Police!!!! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up   Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 2:43 pm

I'm not the only one that points this out. In fact, at this point, after so many people whining about it, I'd say I do it the least.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up   Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 3:04 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I'm not the only one that points this out. In fact, at this point, after so many people whining about it, I'd say I do it the least.

'twas a joke, hence the smiley used.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up   Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 8:14 pm

detuned wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
'twas a joke, hence the smiley used.
Sorry, sometimes I go a little mc666.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up   Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dug Pinnick - Strum Sum Up
Page 1 of 1