Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mark St. John R.I.P.

Go down 
+8
Troublezone
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
spiritoradio
ultmetal
krokus
Fat Freddy
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Mark St. John R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Mark St. John R.I.P.   Mark St. John R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 5:11 pm

This was just posted on Blabbermouth a little while ago... what a shame. R.I.P.

KNAC.COM is reporting that former KISS guitarist Mark St. John (photo) died this morning from a cerebral hemorrhage. He was 51 years old.

Acccording to KissFAQ.com, Mark St. John was born Mark Norton, in Hollywood, California, on February 7, 1956. His parents moved in the early 1960s to Garden Grove, CA where Mark was initially more interested in sports than music. In an interview with KISS Strike, Mark recalled, "I played all sports, in fact I played sports before I got into music. Especially basketball, I mean I tried all sports but basketball is what I excelled in. And when I got into high school we started playing CIF with other teams from L.A. and they were all black and I felt that I wasn't a very good basketball player. I mean they just slip and slide all over you, they jump higher and they run faster and you felt belittled after the first five minutes and I gave it up after that."

Growing up in Southern California, Mark didn't start playing guitar until he was a sophomore in highschool in 1972 when he also started to grow his hair longer, undoubtedly part of that age-group's rebellion from their parents and society. Initially guitar playing started as a hobby, but within a year Mark had become quite serious about it.

As to why he started plaing guitar, Mark recalled, "I guess because the guitar was the new thing happening — it was the sound. I'm from a generation that went through a whole different thing in music, like a culture-type thing. It was the voice of the people. It was a source of rebellion and the guitar was one of the biggest things. I remember watching television and seeing THE BEATLES and THE ROLLING STONES on the 'Ed Sullivan Show'. They didn't have tubas, they had guitars and everyone was going crazy and that put a spark in my mind... The guitar is rock 'n roll. That's what it's all about. From the '50s on, the emphasis was on the guitar sound. Everyone was trying to make the guitar sound like other instruments, but it's not so easy to make other instruments sound like the guitar. The guitar is what's happening"

Mark has a brother, Michael (born 1964), who plays bass. The two would be in bands together following Mark's tenure in KISS. They also have one sister (born 1960).
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Mark St. John R.I.P.   Mark St. John R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 5:21 pm

Sad news i think because i am a big fan of ANIMALIZE by KISS and i also have his WHITE TIGER album on vinyl from 1986. RIP MARK.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Mark St. John R.I.P.   Mark St. John R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 6:49 pm

That's terrible. My prayers go out to his family. I too was a huge fan of ANIMALIZE and the WHITE TIGER release.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Mark St. John R.I.P.   Mark St. John R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 7:17 pm

That's sad.

I heard the news on the radio on the way home from the gym today. The
genius DJ played "Tears are Falling" in memory of Mark and then said, "That was Tears are Falling from Asylum. The guitarist on that album was Mark St. John..." and went on to say that he passed away.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Mark St. John R.I.P.   Mark St. John R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 7:24 pm

That sucks. R.I.P. very underrated guitarist.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Mark St. John R.I.P.   Mark St. John R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 7:48 pm

That's a shame. He's the forgotten member of Kiss. Was his death related to whatever condition he had that caused him to stop playing guitar?
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Mark St. John R.I.P.   Mark St. John R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 7:51 pm

I'm sure Gene won't pass up the opportunity to sell a KISS Koffin.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Mark St. John R.I.P.   Mark St. John R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 8:30 pm

ultmetal wrote:
That's sad.

genius DJ played "Tears are Falling" in memory of Mark and then said, "That was Tears are Falling from Asylum. The guitarist on that album was Mark St. John..." and went on to say that he passed away.

That's very nice of them, but Mark St. John didn't play on "Asylum," did he? scratch

Maybe they thought "Heaven's On Fire" was inappropriate?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Mark St. John R.I.P.   Mark St. John R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 8:52 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
That's sad.

That's very nice of them, but Mark St. John didn't play on "Asylum," did he? scratch

Maybe they thought "Heaven's On Fire" was inappropriate?

Exactly. That's why I said 'genius DJ' lol!

Bruce Kulick played on Asylum. Mark played on Animalize.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mark St. John R.I.P.   Mark St. John R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 9:28 pm

Sad news. Animalize was one of the better non make up Kiss albums IMO and Mark was awesome on it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Mark St. John R.I.P.   Mark St. John R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 10:06 pm

I saw the Blabbermouth article too and i was surprised that he was from my town. Heavens on fire was one of the first KISS songs i got into. RIP
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Mark St. John R.I.P.   Mark St. John R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2007 11:08 pm

Sad to hear. I liked the Animalize album. may he rest in peace.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Mark St. John R.I.P.   Mark St. John R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 4:43 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
That's a shame. He's the forgotten member of Kiss. Was his death related to whatever condition he had that caused him to stop playing guitar?

No, this was something different.

Sad new indeed.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Mark St. John R.I.P.   Mark St. John R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 8:07 am

R.I.P Mark,Animalize is my fav Kiss album
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Mark St. John R.I.P.   Mark St. John R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 8:21 am

Rock in Peace
we love you Mark.
keep medley jamming with Eric Carr.
memorable day for KiSS Fans 'round the world.
still 8 members left.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Mark St. John R.I.P.   Mark St. John R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 8:26 am

Mark St. John R.I.P. 894_small
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Mark St. John R.I.P.   Mark St. John R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2007 8:36 am

iamrockerfun wrote:
Mark St. John R.I.P. 894_small

Cool pic, man. I was just thinking that in all my years of going to KISS conventions and other related appearances by KISS members, I have met and gotten autographs from all of the KISS guys (original four included) except for Eric Carr and Mark St. John (Eric had already passed away by the time I started collecting autographs)... and I had always said "I'll track down Mark St. John someday." Now I'll never get the chance. Sad R.I.P. Mark.
Spinning "Animalize" this morning in tribute.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mark St. John R.I.P.   Mark St. John R.I.P. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mark St. John R.I.P.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: