Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does Anyone Collect These????

Go down 
+8
thejokeriv
Hamer12
skullsmasher
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
the sentinel
mc666
A Handful of Wayne
12 posters
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Does Anyone Collect These???? Empty
PostSubject: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:03 pm

Remember when cds first came out and they came with long boxes? Once in a while I'll still find some stores that still have these. Does anyone miss them? Does anyone collect them? I dont neccesarily collect them but I have a few I never threw away.

Crimson Glory- Transcendent
King Diamond- A Dangerous Meeting
Exodus- Good Friendly Violent Fun (sold the cd)
Exodus- Impact Is Immenent
Exodus- Force Of Habit
Spinal Tap- Break Like The Wind
Celtic Frost- Cold Lake
Helloween- Keeper Of The Seven Keys II
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:07 pm

i remember buying them like that, but i never saved the packaging. i just threw it away.

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:11 pm

I thought they were pretty cool. I'd rather them still be long boxes than have the stickers on the tops of them.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:16 pm

A friend of mine has a few unopened in the long boxes (Maiden, Metallica, Dokken, Winger) that he grabbed from a local store for the sheer novelty of it. I don't think he collects them per se.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:22 pm

I don't collect'em but I do remember 'em. When I first started buying CDs, I used to cut the front panel (with the album artwork on it) off the box and hang it on my bedroom wall. I had one whole wall of my room wallpapered with'em after a while.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:27 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I don't collect'em but I do remember 'em. When I first started buying CDs, I used to cut the front panel (with the album artwork on it) off the box and hang it on my bedroom wall. I had one whole wall of my room wallpapered with'em after a while.

That's awesome, man. You should be called Cool Freddy instead of Fat Freddy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:28 pm

I remember the long boxes, but I never saved them. I do however, keep the little stickers that the record company puts on the outside cellophane of the cd ("Contains the hit...", "Featuring the Original Line-up..." etc.). I don't know why, but I just do. I tear off the cellophane around the edge of the sticker, then place it over the UPC label in the back tray.

I usually keep a memento of some sort from the bodies before I dispose of them as well. Kinda like little trophies.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:29 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

That's awesome, man. You should be called Cool Freddy instead of Fat Freddy! Very Happy
no, he should be called cool fatty, since he is fat but not Freddy

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:39 pm

Call me whatever you want, as long as it's not "hey d*ckhead"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:52 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I thought they were pretty cool. I'd rather them still be long boxes than have the stickers on the tops of them.

I hate those stickers. Half the time they dont come off all the way and leave that annoying sticky crap on the case. Only way I can get it completely off sometimes is if I pull the tab that holds the case cover to the bottom case and then flip it up. That dont always work though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:55 pm

Yep that's how I do it as well. Luckily, I have acidic oils that secrete from my fingertips due to years of iron oxide exposure, so I can break down the stickiness of the glue relatively easily.

Last edited by spectrefate on Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 1:08 pm

Now thats metal! 🤘
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 1:16 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

I did this too, I thought it looked pretty cool
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 1:21 pm

I cant say I collect them, I just never throw anything away. I have quite a few of them, my favorite is the first Galactic Cowboys album with the cow skull on it.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 1:54 pm

I don't collect them, but I remember them.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 2:23 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I remember the long boxes, but I never saved them. I do however, keep the little stickers that the record company puts on the outside cellophane of the cd ("Contains the hit...", "Featuring the Original Line-up..." etc.). I don't know why, but I just do. I tear off the cellophane around the edge of the sticker, then place it over the UPC label in the back tray.

I usually keep a memento of some sort from the bodies before I dispose of them as well. Kinda like little trophies.

That last part would be funny if it weren't true. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 2:28 pm

They never sold them in my neck of the woods.

Metal novice
Metal novice
outofstep

Number of posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 2:30 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

I did this as well! I still have them somewhere buried in a box. I had some napalm death, testament, metallica, megadeth, etc. I always liked how the artwork looked stretched out into that format.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 2:36 pm

kmorg wrote:
They never sold them in my neck of the woods.

Did they used to wrap CDs in fish carcasses? Smile
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 2:51 pm

I dont collect them, but still have a few of them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 3:00 pm

The only one I have is Voi Vod Angel Rat, I ordered a used copy online and was surprised when it showed up in one of these old school containers.

The only reason they existed was to make them fit into LP shelves prior to record stores retooling their bins for the depth of CDs. It was a HUGE waste of cardboard, glad they're not around anymore.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 3:07 pm

I remember 'em but don't collect 'em.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Collect These????   Does Anyone Collect These???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does Anyone Collect These????
Page 1 of 1