Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So you think you're in shape?

Go down 
+15
EvyMetal
nevermore
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
SAHB Healer
DeathCult
Tall Tyrion
James B.
bgast1
mc666
Thrasher73
Mortuary
Stender
tohostudios
scottmitchell74
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

So you think you're in shape? Empty
PostSubject: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 7:49 pm

We are required to work out at work. I've always lifted weights and I have a definite interest in being fit. However, I hate running.

Well, I decided to start running a little again on duty. For a while I was simply doing 1 mile per shift...which coupled with my frentic lifting and the walking I do with my wife I figured would do the trick....and basically it has.

However, to keep my interest level up I got a bright idea the other shift. I thought "World Class/World Record marathoners run at or just below a 5:00 minute MILE for 26+ consecutive miles. Mind numbing!! Do you know how many people can run just a single solitary 5:00 minute mile? Not many at all.

So, as it happens our treadmill at work will go up to 12 MPH.....or a 5:00 minute mile pace. I decided each shift to warm up and then crank that baby to 12!! and see how long I could hold on.

Today's effort....brace yourselves........85 seconds!! lol! I can run a World Class marathon pace for 85 seconds!

The goal is to bump that by 5 seconds per shift until I puke, my heart explodes, or I notice my weightlifting going the wrong direction. I actually think none of that will happen....however I'm sure my ceiling will be reached somewhere in the 2+ minute range. IF I can run that pace for 2+ minutes I'll be happy.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 7:54 pm

Thank goodness I don't have a treadmill. Just attempting that challenge would probably kill me.

I HATE running with a fiery passion. I'd rather do any other form of cardio. But I gotta admit, I was in the best shape of my life about 15 years ago when I started running with my girlfriend (she was the added incentive I needed to keep going) but even then I hated it.

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 8:03 pm

Yeah, me too Toho. Some years ago I got away from heavy lifting. The Dept. started the fitness program we have now and I got gung-ho for running and was doing 15-20 miles a week. Nothing Earth-shattering, but I had a nice 8 minute mile pace for 3 miles and was easily in my best shape since I was a late teen-early 20. But the simplest thing knocks me off the running trail. A cold, a vacation, whatever and I just lose all interest.

So that's what I'm trying now. Lift hard, fast and heavy so that is a little cardio, walk briskly with Momma 2-3 times a week and run short but hard at work. I will do no more. This should be enough to keep me in reasonable shape.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 8:17 pm

I have a bench that I try to use as much as I can, but what is really doing the trick is my work. Landscaping has been building me some shoulders like crazy!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 8:22 pm

Stender wrote:
I have a bench that I try to use as much as I can, but what is really doing the trick is my work. Landscaping has been building me some shoulders like crazy!

Yeah, that's where you guys with a physically demanding job have it all over me. I sit on my butt in front of a PC monitor all day. THe only exercise I get is that which I impose on myself. RIght now, I forego lunch and instead get on my eliptical every day at lunch.

Now if only I could give up my love of good beer...

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Mortuary

Number of posts : 498

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 8:31 pm

I would like to invest in a Bowflex or something along those lines. I'd like to tone up my muscles more than anything.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 8:42 pm

I would like to start walking or running again on a regular basis.I've lifted for the past 8 years and I've done cardio of some form off and on but would like to get more dedicated to it.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 8:52 pm

Mortuary wrote:
I would like to invest in a Bowflex or something along those lines. I'd like to tone up my muscles more than anything.

I've got a gym-quality elliptical in my basement along with an adjustable weight bench and dumbbells ranging from 25 to 85 pounds.

I hit the elliptical every day but only hit the weights on days I have off.

If you young folks did the same things I do, you'd probably be in great shape. As and old fart, the best I can hope for is to "maintain".

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Mortuary

Number of posts : 498

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 8:59 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Mortuary wrote:

I've got a gym-quality elliptical in my basement along with an adjustable weight bench and dumbbells ranging from 25 to 85 pounds.

I hit the elliptical every day but only hit the weights on days I have off.

If you young folks did the same things I do, you'd probably be in great shape. As and old fart, the best I can hope for is to "maintain".

Nice, I would love to have that. I'm not out of shape but it would be nice to be more toned.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 9:59 pm

my wife & i run 5 miles every morning. it kick starts your metabolism. we don't really do it to stay in shape (although it helps), we do it because it's fun.

scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 10:08 pm

Code:
my wife & i run 5 miles every morning.

That's fantastic! My wife and I walk...(she hates running as well) but the key is we enjoy the togetherness.
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 10:16 pm

I probably have more incentive that all of you to stay in shape but do think I can motivate myself, heck no. I'm diabetic, totally uncontrolled, give in to sugar attacks all the time. My doctor told me the last time I saw her that I don't start to get my act together I am at the age where my body won't forgive me anymore.

I have all kinds of reasons to listen to her. Discipline is just not one of those good habits that I have ever picked up.

The fitness center only cost $75.00 a year and is totally equipped.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 10:23 pm

When I was a journeyman carpenter, staying in shape was part of the gig. I drive a 18 wheeler now and do WAY too much sitting. I am in that group of walking with the wife and I do alot of mountain biking on the week-ends. I jump on the drums for at least an hour a day and that is an excellent cardio thing as well as doing wonders if I blow it anf get stressed out over something. Being middle-aged, the body changes and a guy has to accept that, pretty simple. Watch what ya throw down the neck and don't park it on the sofa to much What a Face
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 10:35 pm

I've given up staying in shape once I hit 40. No time anymore...
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 10:48 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
what, with your busy schedule of always being at this forum?

bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 11:52 pm

I could make time with no trouble at all. I could probably even get started but given 1 week I would be back at my old habits again. I think the only thing that would keep me going would be a drill instructor like at boot camp when I was in the Navy.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:05 am

mc666 wrote:
Tall Tyrion wrote:

So you think you're in shape? 19976

lol!
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:07 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Tall Tyrion wrote:

So you think you're in shape? 19976

lol!

Silencio you fat day trading bastard! angry
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:13 am

You just wish you could be a pear-shaped trillionaire. Cool
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 1:12 am

mc666 wrote:
my wife & i run 5 miles every morning. it kick starts your metabolism. we don't really do it to stay in shape (although it helps), we do it because it's fun.

This after seeing my 62 year old relative getting featured in the local paper today for his upcoming bicycle ride from California to New York. I just hope I die pretty soon so I don't have to listen to any of this lunacy anymore. So you think you're in shape? 19976
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 1:29 am

I ran two miles in 9 minutes at the end of basic training in 1995. I could walk a mile in 9 hours now.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 8:09 am

Eyesore wrote:
I could walk a mile in 9 hours now.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 10:15 am

I am not now, nor have I ever, been "in shape."

...No, wait, that's not entirely true. Round is a shape.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 11:28 am

so fat Freddy really is fat. imagine that. so, is he really Freddy?

Thrasher73
Thrasher73

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 11:29 am

mc666 wrote:
so fat Freddy really is fat. imagine that. so, is he really Freddy?

So its not just a clever name lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So you think you're in shape?   So you think you're in shape? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So you think you're in shape?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next