Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iggy Pop/The Stooges

Go down 
+3
rattpoison
Schbopo
manny
7 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Iggy Pop/The Stooges Empty
PostSubject: Iggy Pop/The Stooges   Iggy Pop/The Stooges Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 4:31 pm

We have threads on the Sex Pistols, The Damned, the Dead Boys, but none on the man who has been referred to as the godfather of punk Iggy Pop, classic albums that he recorded with The Stooges, s/t (1969), Fun House (1970), Raw Power (1972) or his many solo releases such as "The Idiot" , any fans out there?
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Pop/The Stooges   Iggy Pop/The Stooges Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 5:08 pm

Darn, you beat me to it. I love Iggy and them. His solo stuff never thrilled me, but The Stooges were one of my favorite bands when I was 9. One of the heavier punk bands, too.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Pop/The Stooges   Iggy Pop/The Stooges Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 5:19 pm

Schbopo and I must be only Iggy fans on this board.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Pop/The Stooges   Iggy Pop/The Stooges Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 5:30 pm

I'm thinking that too. Let's start a gang.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Pop/The Stooges   Iggy Pop/The Stooges Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 1:02 am

There's a few fans on this board but their probably like me.....at any mention of Thee Stooges or Iggy i descend into slack-jawed mouth breathing. A sad state of affairs that i fail to articulate what is close to my favourite band.

I can say this though....."Down On The Street" has one of the greatest grooves of any rock n' roll song ever, such a thuggish primal groove.

New Values is the best Iggy solo record although his shambling Stonesy affair with James Williamson on Kill City is incredibly underrated.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Pop/The Stooges   Iggy Pop/The Stooges Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 11:26 pm

" Down in the Streets " is a classic Stooges track, Iggy rules.

Last edited by manny on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Pop/The Stooges   Iggy Pop/The Stooges Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 1:12 am

I love Iggy and The Stooges i've been covering "i wanna be your dog" for a while and my freind and I want to do a tribute concert for the stooges

I've got to say I don't think they've made a under-par record even the wierdness was great IMO
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Pop/The Stooges   Iggy Pop/The Stooges Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 2:49 am

Oh yeah. It goes without saying. I've actually seen Iggy live more times than I've seen any other act.
It's really rewarding to me to see him get the respect that he's gotten. I remember when I first got "Raw Power", and my friends all hated it. Little did they know at the time.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Pop/The Stooges   Iggy Pop/The Stooges Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 10:04 am

" Raw Power" great album, maybe my favorite Iggy album, and in defence of your friends SAHB, "Raw Power" was released in '73, and was ahead of it's time, it would have fit in better in the alternative nation 90's than the glam early 70's period when it was released. Iggy and The Stooges had very little in common with T.Rex, Slade, and even his mentor David Bowie, closet contempories he and his gang of misfits may have fit in was Mc5 and New York Dolls.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Pop/The Stooges   Iggy Pop/The Stooges Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 2:38 am

The thing is the Stooges music nearing 40 years old is still ahead of it's time...yet so behind as well, you know caveman primitive!

Here's a great cover i found on youtube of Down On The Street, Ian Astbury backed the Fuzztones in 1990 or there abouts.

Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Pop/The Stooges   Iggy Pop/The Stooges Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 2:56 am

I still consider Funhouse the most "ahead of it's time" album ever.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Pop/The Stooges   Iggy Pop/The Stooges Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 3:23 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
I still consider Funhouse the most "ahead of it's time" album ever.

Easily......well maybe tied with one of their biggest influences the Sonics - Here A The Sonics (1965).
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Pop/The Stooges   Iggy Pop/The Stooges Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 8:56 am

" Funhouse" great album, hard to believe it was released in 1970, I have 16 Iggy Pop cds (including two comp.) but I have never heard " Kill City" expect for one track which is on "Rude and Nude:The Best Of Iggy Pop" I will have to add to my never ending list.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Pop/The Stooges   Iggy Pop/The Stooges Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 9:56 am

I like his work with the Stooges but his solo stuff I'm not that familiar with, aside from a few "hits".
Back to top Go down
Pontus
Metal student
Metal student

Number of posts : 132

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Pop/The Stooges   Iggy Pop/The Stooges Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 6:48 pm

I love both The Stooges and Iggy solo. Never really got into their "come-back" album though, if you can call it that, The Weirdness. But The Stooges, Fun House and Raw Power are masterpieces!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Pop/The Stooges   Iggy Pop/The Stooges Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 12:56 pm

Here is some Iggy news:

Iggy Pop has puked on his audience, rolled around in broken glass and exposed himself to crowds. But on his new album, the 61-year-old rocker does something that may shock people — he sings in French. The Stooges frontman shows off his multilingualism On “Autumn Leaves,” a track off PrĂ©liminaires, due out May 19th. The record was inspired by French author Michel Houellebecq’s 2005 novel, The Possibility of An Island. “As I read scenes in the book, I felt music in my head,” says Pop, who also composed a score for the book’s forthcoming film adaptation. “I wrote less and less for the movie and started writing an alternative score to the novel.”
The disc — which features trombones and clarinets — lifts its sound from 1920s New Orleans. “We get dangerously near jazz,” says Pop, who cut tracks in Woodstock and Miami. “At first, I thought, ‘If I want to pee and I don’t do it with a sign that says Progenitor of Punk, people don’t want to know about it.’ Luckily, at this point in my life, I don’t care very much.”
In other Iggy news, the rocker recently nominated saucy electro provocateur Peaches to cover his “Search and Destroy” for War Child’s Heroes compilation, a charity disc for kids living in war-torn regions. “I get a big shot of pleasure every time I hear her music,” Iggy says of the Canadian singer, with whom he’s collaborated on several tracks in the past. “All the better since it was one of my songs.”
Pop — whose longtime Stooges bandmate, guitarist Ron Asheton, died in January — also hinted at the group’s future plans. “We have a large vault, and I’ve been fooling around with different ways to approach vocals,” he says. The band is also “developing something with a dramatic filmmaker,” but Iggy declined to elaborate. What about rumors that Sex Pistols’ guitarist Steve Jones might join the Stooges? “I talked to Steve, and if I wanted an extra guitar, he’d be the guy to call,” says Iggy. “The group still exists. I’m not gonna tell you more than that.”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Pop/The Stooges   Iggy Pop/The Stooges Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iggy Pop/The Stooges
Page 1 of 1