Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Power Metal

Go down 
+17
DallasBlack
ghost
SAHB Healer
Leatherface
exact33
kmorg
Rex
A Handful of Wayne
Daybreaker
Smindas
Required Fields
QuothTheRaven
MetalRob331
mc666
Orion Crystal Ice
Stender
Banjoman
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Power Metal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 12:21 am

Same... lots of stuff out there to flesh out the emotional spectrum..
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 4:19 am

Fates Warning(John Arch-era).
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 8:00 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
Not a fan in the slightest. All sounds the same to me. But there is always exceptions. And that exception, to my ears, is Conception. Those guys flat out SHRED!!!! And I recently listened to an Angel Dust album that I did not immediately turn off [Enlighten the Darkness]. So maybe there is hope for me yet? Kmorg - please do not respond to my post. Thank you.

Saxon, my brother, you of all people should know that you LOVE power metal. The real power metal, as in older Savatage, Metal Church, Powermad, Helstar etc. It's the fluffy modern European stuff you can't handle. And Conception is prog metal, not power metal. not even the "modern" kind.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 10:48 am

You have many reviews of "fluffy" music... why berate something you like?
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 12:55 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
You have many reviews of "fluffy" music... why berate something you like?

Oh, don't get me wrong. I love the stuff! I'm just trying to simplify the differences between the power metal of old, and what is called pm today.

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 3:05 pm

Quote :
The real power metal, as in older Savatage,

I thought that they weren't power metal?

Now I know why i hate genres.
Back to top Go down
Banjoman
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 3:18 pm

Wow this got a lot of comments. Awesome. Thanks guys I'll have to look into all this stuff.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 7:23 pm

post 2000 I've gone ahead and merged my prog metal, power metal, euro melodic, and neo-traditional metal playlists into one big one. they sound just fine together, and I don't have to try to figure out these definitions that are constantly morphing anymore.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 9:52 pm

Quote :
Saxon, my brother, you of all people should know that you LOVE power metal. The real power metal, as in older Savatage, Metal Church, Powermad, Helstar etc. It's the fluffy modern European stuff you can't handle. And Conception is prog metal, not power metal. not even the "modern" kind.

Ok - Totally agree with every word of that. But, yeah, when I hear the term "Power Metal", I automatically think of all the Helloween clones and Hammerfall, Edguy, Stratovarius, and the rest of the samey-sounding garbage.

And If Conception is prog, then I love 1 90's prog band too.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 10:09 pm

I agree Sax. the whole pm genre is too crowded with lots and lots of subpar bands and labels. the amount of re-tread is obnoxious....

Alex

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 1:40 am

kmorg wrote:
I'm just trying to simplify the differences between the power metal of old, and what is called pm today.

Man I'm really out of touch. When I saw the title "Power Metal" the first bands I thought of were Savatage, Metal Church, Overkill, Running Wild, etc.

Just an old fart am I. Power Metal - Page 2 927150
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 2:15 am

No you're not. Your definition is as good as anybody elses. There are at least 300 definitions I've seen on this board for power metal. None of them make sense to me despite the fact that I probley have 80% of the albums mentioned.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 2:31 am

Some additions, that Banjoman could check out:

Falconer
Grave Digger
Rage
Gun Barrel
Elvenking
Majesty
Masterplan
Mystic Prophecy
Seven Witches
Wuthering Heights
Silent Force
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 8:35 am

Cryonic Temple headbanger
Human Fortress (first 2 [3 maybe] albums)
Rob Rock
Avantasia (first 2, Scarecrow is more melodic metal)
Alestorm
Galloglass
Gothic Knights
Axenstar
Royal Hunt (though more progressive)
Cydonia
late Axxis
Hammerfall (though someone probably mentioned them)
Seventh Avenue
Jacob's Dream (first 2)
Axel Rudi Pell
Narnia
Metalium
Dawnrider
Jag Panzer
Lanfear
Primal Fear
Sacred Warrior
Symphorce
Twisted Tower Dire
Tribuzy
Pyramaze
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 8:41 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
No you're not. Your definition is as good as anybody elses. There are at least 300 definitions I've seen on this board for power metal. None of them make sense to me despite the fact that I probley have 80% of the albums mentioned.

Yea, what he said. I've always thought that "power metal" was one of the most useless "genre classifications" out there because if you ask a hundred people what "power metal" is, you're gonna get 100 different answers.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 8:59 am

detuned wrote:

Just an old fart am I. Power Metal - Page 2 927150

At least you admit it Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 9:12 am

See - Now you guys are naming a bunch of bands that I DO enjoy, but never really thought was "power metal":

Rob Rock
Seven Witches [and anything Rivera-related]
ARP
Sacred Warrior?

and alot of bands that were cool, then became crappy:

Rage
Jag Panzer
Grave Digger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 9:15 am

Helstar, old Fates Warning, Sacred Warrior, that is true arcane power metal to me.

Bands like old Metal Church, Running Wild, old Rage, 1st 3 Helloween records is what I always thought was "Speed Metal".
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 9:17 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
SAHB Healer wrote:

Yea, what he said. I've always thought that "power metal" was one of the most useless "genre classifications" out there because if you ask a hundred people what "power metal" is, you're gonna get 100 different answers.

I agree
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 2:50 pm

I've never understood why this is so difficult. I know ultmetal and Temple Of Blood agrees with me on this.

Power metal was a definition for bands heavier than classic heavy metal, but not as fast and/or aggressive as thrash metal. Yes, speed metal was sort of lumoed together with power metal. But speed metal also usually was fast, but maybe not as aggresisive, and usually had high pitched vocals. Here are some examples:

Power metal:

Metal Church
Savatage (up 'til Hall of the Montain King anyway)
Malteze
Armageddon
Armored Saint
Seven Witches
Distant Thunder
Wayne
Overlorde
Destiny's End
Vicious Rumors
Onward

Speed metal:

Agent Steel
Deliverance (first 3 albums)
Messiah Force
Helloween (w/Kai Hansen singing)

In between:

Helstar
New Eden
Steel Prophet

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 2:52 pm

kmorg wrote:
I've never understood why this is so difficult. I know ultmetal and Temple Of Blood agrees with me on this.

If I don't agree, do I forfeit my free foot rub you promised me if I came to Norway on holiday?
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 2:54 pm

spectrefate wrote:
kmorg wrote:

If I don't agree, do I forfeit my free foot rub you promised me if I came to Norway on holiday?

NO footrub for yoo!

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 3:21 pm

I totally agree with your definition of the three,Kmorg.

But I'll pass on a foot rub lol!
Back to top Go down
Banjoman
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 3:32 pm

I see there is a lot of discussion on the definition of Power Metal here. The way I see it, or really what I'm looking for I guess, is the epic fantasy dungeons & dragons cheesy stuff. With fast playing, lots of lead guitar and high pitched vocals. And the more over the top Blind Guardianish it is the better 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 4:00 pm

I'm with Kmorg as well. And even if you don't consider most of Savatage's music power, it's still progressive.

Plus, it rules.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power Metal   Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Power Metal
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next