Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hole (Courtney Love)

Go down 
+6
jstate
Shiney
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
manny
10 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Hole (Courtney Love) Empty
PostSubject: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 5:46 pm

Earlier Freddy had posted a thread on L7 which made think of that other grunge era band Hole? despite being maglined by lot of metal fans I really liked the their 2nd and 3rd studio albums " Live through This' and " Celebrity Skin". The lyrics to " Celebrity Skin" that touch on subject of Kurt Cobain's death such as Malibu and her view of the record industry and celebrity cultural in general like "Awful' where powerful. thought provoking and you could feel her sadness at trying to live with unexplainable loss. Curious to your opinions on Hole's music?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 5:50 pm

I've only owned "LIVE THROUGH THIS" and though it was an OK album it wasn't a keeper, so I traded it off some time ago. Decent enough band I guess, I remember hearing a lot of rumors that Kurt Cobain wrote almost all of their stuff for them (though Courtney got all the credit).

Oh, and by the way, Courtney Love is a raging insaniac Froot Loop. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 6:09 pm

Live Through This is a great album, but largely due to Cobain's songwriting input. Regardless of the hatred directed at him, the guy could write amazing songs. Prior to that album, though, Hole were pretty bad. And after it just decent.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 6:54 pm

I have Celebrity Skin and I like it.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 6:56 pm

I have Live Through This and like it.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 7:23 pm

I actually like HOLE...."Pretty On The Inside" is a raw wound...ragged and snarling. A bit SONIC YOUTH and a bit BABES IN TOYLAND...

"Live Through This" is fabtastic, but the NIRAVANA similarities from the Cobain penned tunes is glaring...

I didn't like 'Celebrity Skin" at all....

And Love may be a fruit loop whack-a-doo....but I think I'd let her manhandle me....

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 7:31 pm

Shiney wrote:
And Love may be a fruit loop whack-a-doo....but I think I'd let her manhandle me....

drunk
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 8:21 pm

Shiney wrote:
I actually like HOLE...."Pretty On The Inside" is a raw wound...ragged and snarling. A bit SONIC YOUTH and a bit BABES IN TOYLAND...
Bad Babes In Toyland, sure. =)

Quote :
She would be fantastic, huh? You know it.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 8:25 pm

Quote :
She would be fantastic, huh? You know it.

And heavy-laden with disease! cheers
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 8:39 pm

I had a phase where I was really into L7, Babes In Toyland, Hole, and all those kinds of bands. Sorta that riot grrrl type thing. I liked Pretty On The Inside and Live Through This. I over-played Live Through This and just never got into any of their other stuff after that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 11:20 pm

I think Live through this is a brilliant album. But I think most of it was written by Billy Corrigan, right?

Pretty on the inside is still a great "turn it up and rock out" album and my fav.

They do "Hungry like the wolf" as a b-side on the Doll Parts cd-s. Pretty fun cover to hear from the Love Holes.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 12:57 am

I think Inger Lorre of the Nymphs sums up Ms. Love pretty well with this interview quote i read....

"He (Kurt) thought he was getting Nancy Spungeon when all he really got was the punk rock Cher."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 1:16 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
I think Live through this is a brilliant album. But I think most of it was written by Billy Corrigan, right?
Corgon co-wrote a lot of Celebrity Skin. Cobain wrote a lot of the songs on Live Through This, though he's not credited with anything. Too bad there are early Cobain demos of a lot of those tunes.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 9:58 am

Shiney wrote:

Hahaha... I hate to say it, but I think I would too... as long as my penicillin prescription was up to date and I wore one of those full-body condoms like in "The Naked Gun" Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 10:13 am

I liked that one song (Celebrity Skin, I guess it was), but don't know/care about their other music. I liked Courtney as Althea Flynt in that Larry Flynt movie. It was a tailor-made role for her. She's a fun train-wreck to watch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 12:51 pm

Quote :
Corgon co-wrote a lot of Celebrity Skin.
Ahh. That is the reason CS is my least fav.

Original bassist was from Minneapolis and used to play iin a really cool band here called Janitor Joe. She od'd. Can't remember her name though. And Ms. Love was in another MPLS band called Babes in Toyland for about 10 seconds.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 12:57 pm

JANITOR JOE were cool, they released a cd on an indie label in the early 90's...I remember having a store play copy in the little record stored I worked in...it was cool....

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 2:01 pm

Fun band live. You still got that?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 3:07 pm

I love Babes In Toyland. Kat has always given me a boner.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 4:33 pm

Never did like Hole. On the other hand though, some excellent bands have been named cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 5:41 pm

No, Saxon I don't....It was the store's play copy and one of the one's my manger dug so it was not to leve the store...I didn't bicker much as he let me take so many promo cds home over the year or s I worked there, I could forgive the JANITOR JOE....

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 9:22 pm

Courtney Love claims she has found Malaysia Airlines 777 airplane.

http://www.avclub.com/article/courtney-love-thinks-shes-found-malaysia-airlines--202286

Just...wow.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hole (Courtney Love)   Hole (Courtney Love) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hole (Courtney Love)
Page 1 of 1