Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Remember when...

Go down 
+18
Stender
thejokeriv
Orion Crystal Ice
Waylon
mc666
the sentinel
MetalGuy71
A Handful of Wayne
tohostudios
kmorg
MoonChild
manny
DeathCult
skullsmasher
Thrasher73
scottmitchell74
Tall Tyrion
Fat Freddy
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Waylon
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 305

Remember when... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 12:45 pm

I bet Shiney STILL has this miraculous power... just try him. 🤘
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 1:03 pm

I have to take a small pocket size notebook with me when I go cd shopping to avoid double buying. I can't even imagine having collections the size of Ult, Eye, or Spec. I would have to take a full size notebook with me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 1:09 pm

I can do it still, of course I'm only in 400-something owned right now..but I can still do it with them all...poor brain..
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 1:14 pm

I'm a little late to this party, but , yeah, I know EXACTLY what you mean!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 1:40 pm

the sentinel wrote:
I have to take a small pocket size notebook with me when I go cd shopping to avoid double buying. I can't even imagine having collections the size of Ult, Eye, or Spec. I would have to take a full size notebook with me. Very Happy

I am to the point where I even stopped making a list!! I stared my website instead, and even that has taken 7 yeas, and it ar from complete. I say it is up to 2/3 of my collecton now. But I buy more than I add... you do the math.

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 2:00 pm

ha, i bang my head and it rattles my brain, too much metal has driven me insane....while i still remember almost everything, yesterday i found that i had another sealed copy of that mass ep(with their only one track i ever liked) while i thought that i gave all the 9 i had(i kept only one for me just because of that track)....well that was a suprise for me, some could steal it and i would never realise it....of course i "killed" it immidiately and both of us are happy now....
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 4:36 pm

Geez, you guys are older and more brain decrepid then I thought... Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 5:01 pm

Stender wrote:
Geez, you guys are older and more brain decrepid then I thought... Razz

Let's hear it for the 70's!!!
lol!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 5:02 pm

the sentinel wrote:

I print out my "want list" whenever I'm going to a rock expo or somewhere big. Too many times I've picked up a cd, then had to wonder for 15 minutes whether I had it or not. Fortunatley, I've only done the "double purchase" a handful of times.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 5:21 pm

What was the question?
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

Number of posts : 282

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 5:43 pm

Same problem here guys. I have found a way around it though which is my Ipod. I have a 160gb Ipod which can hold all my CD's (2000+). This has come in very useful when buying CD's as I often have that "haven't I already got that CD" moment or the "what albums do i need by that band" moment. Just whip out the Ipod and hey presto instant info.

Also all my albums are listed in alphabetical order in Itunes on my PC, instant organisation.

Seriously I would be lost without my Ipod.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 5:52 pm

There's a term for this:

A.R.C.D.

Age Related Cognitive Decline

Believe me, I know all about it....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 5:52 pm

of course there is another term as well

T.M.B.H.

too many bong hits...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 5:55 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Remember when you were a kid and you could rattle off every song, almost every lyric of your metal collection? I could tell you every song title off every cassette I had, release years, most lyrics, yadda yadda. Well ,it seems like I have lost this mystical power. I sometimes just refer to songs as "Track number X". It doesn't mean I like the music any less, I'm just not able to retain any new information for some reason.

Are some of you older guys the same way?
Same here. I used to be able to tell you when to stop side A of Def Leppard's Hysteria in order to get it to start just before any song on side B, and vice versa. I'd listened to the album that many times, that I just learned that. I never set out to figure it out, but just playing it all the time and flipping the tape over to hear this or that song somehow got me to subconsciously learn all that.

Am I making sense? Haha.

I just think that back then, as kids, we had little else to focus on, so we saturated ourselves with that stuff. I also think the internet is part of the problem. Why do I need to remember who is in what band when sites like Metal Archives, BNR Metal, Wikipedia, etc. are around?
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 7:04 pm

skullsmasher wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one suffering from this

I do this too, I am really only able to listen to music in the truck driving to and from work now.

Yeah. I've been on a major "neo-retro" binge lately, and last night I just felt too tired to take in what I was hearing. Sometimes I feel like I just wish bands would all stop making music for a couple of years so I could sort it all out. I'm kidding of course, but sometimes I do feel that way.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 8:56 pm

The worst for me is every time I think I'm going to familiarize myself better with the music I have and put an embargo on purchases some great finds/sales come up that destroy all that. Everytime.

I wish I had more time to get multiple listens in. Too often I get something, love it, and then it sits forgotten for too long due to going on to something else. The limited time with everything else creates a small playlist from the ever growing to-listen-to-pile. Or worse I'll have the music on getting work done or on the computer where it becomes nothing more than background. The Ipod at the gym (with cardio) is about my most dedicated listening I can get in.

I'd love to be able to be that kid again who would lay on the bed with the walkman and crank a tape over and over in a single night. With the stuff that I'd love not leaving the deck for weeks on end. I guess I realize how spoiled I really am with the music today.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 9:32 pm

detuned wrote:

T.M.B.H.

too many bong hits...

lol!

I don't have that excuse, mine would be more like:

T.M.C.B.

Too many cold beers....
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 9:39 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
detuned wrote:

T.M.B.H.

too many bong hits...

lol!

I don't have that excuse, mine would be more like:

T.M.C.B.

Too many cold beers....

Unfortunately,

my excuse would be TMBH and TMCB.

Nasty combination of brain wasting activities.

Good think I still do crossword puzzles to counteract at least some of that abuse.

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 10:12 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Good think I still do crossword puzzles to counteract at least some of that abuse.

Yep, it's workin' great for ya.... just kidding
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 2:21 am

I just read an something about how the number of brain cells reach their peak at age 14, and then decline from there. I forget how many someone my age has lost. it was close to 100% anyway.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 4:01 am

Cheer up! You've been losing testosterone every year since you turned 30 as well! Very Happy (me too!)
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 8:19 am

detuned wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

Yep, it's workin' great for ya.... just kidding

lol! That figures.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 8:21 am

jstate wrote:
The worst for me is every time I think I'm going to familiarize myself better with the music I have and put an embargo on purchases some great finds/sales come up that destroy all that. Everytime.

I wish I had more time to get multiple listens in. Too often I get something, love it, and then it sits forgotten for too long due to going on to something else. The limited time with everything else creates a small playlist from the ever growing to-listen-to-pile. Or worse I'll have the music on getting work done or on the computer where it becomes nothing more than background. The Ipod at the gym (with cardio) is about my most dedicated listening I can get in.

I'd love to be able to be that kid again who would lay on the bed with the walkman and crank a tape over and over in a single night. With the stuff that I'd love not leaving the deck for weeks on end. I guess I realize how spoiled I really am with the music today.

I could have posted this exact same thing. This is me to a T. Every month when I pay off my credit card (which is 95% CD purchases) I swear I'm not going to buy any new CDs next month. And every month I stumble across some new band or a favorite band drops a new release. Even the albums I love don't get much playing time because I'm too busy acquiring new stuff.

Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 10:29 am

I've found a few double copies of CD and tapes in my collection, I just look at them a think" Ahhh crap, I did it again. I have 4 copies of Long Cold Winter in my collection 2 CD and 2 vinyl. Granted I used to buy one for me and one for my girlfriend back in the day and since we got married our collections mixed.

The I-pod thing works well for organizing and keeping track but I only have the 80 gig model and it only holds about half of my collection. I guess when a music collection gets to be the size most of us are talking about then we have a pretty good excuse not to be able to remember everything.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 21, 2008 2:13 pm

I'm totally the same way. I still do it with my favorite bands, but there are just too many bands and releases out now so I just can't remember anything like that anymore.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Remember when...   Remember when... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Remember when...
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next