Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shooting Star

Go down 
+5
brokentulsa
metalinmyveins
James B.
SAHB Healer
tohostudios
9 posters
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 7:05 pm

I did a search and didn't find any threads about this midwest band.

I just found out they're playing a gig here in a couple weeks. I thought this band called it quits years ago! They were a staple during my college years; sort of a heavier and less prog version of Kansas. Their S/T was my favorite but the closest they ever came to a hit was the title track to Hang On For Your Life but I played the crap outta Last Chance.

Anybody else ever listen to this band?

http://www.myspace.com/shootingstarband

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 7:28 pm

Oh yeah. I'm just a total sucker for that midwestern melodic rock. Shooting Star was about the best of second tier bands; other than the several who became household names.
Geez, there are just a whole bunch of goofy (as in fun) bands of that ilk that I like, although not all from the midwest per se (many Canada or mid south). Sojourn, Airborne, Steeplechase, Morningstar, Stonebolt, Petra, Alpha Centauri, Sugarcreek. I could go on for way too long, and have already.
As I've said here before, I used to hate this corny melodic stuff back then, because my girlfriend at the time would bombard me with it and I just wanted to Nugent. But now frankly it reminds me of happier times even though Mike Patton wouldn't approve.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 7:34 pm

Morningstar!

Someone else who actually knows this band! I searched high and low about 10 years ago to round up their first two on CD. THe ST (with the purple cover and mace on it) saw many spins on my turntable back in high school.

I had that CD on my desk at work one day and this guy walked by and nearly dropped in a faint. He practically begged me to let him borrow it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 8:01 pm

I was lukewarm on Morningstar back in the day (I think I bought that and Prism "See Forever Eyes" to impress the girl actually). About ten years ago I found them in a moldy box while moving, and put the Morningstar on because it had a cool cover. I was blown away by both that and the Prism, and that's pretty much what started the whole AOR nostalgia kick.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 8:05 pm

I have a Prism comp as well as the Armageddon album on CD. Another band that saw mucho playing time in both high school and college.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 8:06 pm

I also had See Forever Eyes on vinyl. "Don't Let Him KNow" was probably that band's closest sniff of a hit.

We're really old SAHB...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 9:01 pm

Yes I know. The bad thing about computers is that I was able to look up the girl that got me into this stuff long ago. She was a teenager then but now she's old and looks almost as bad as I do, bless her heart. Prism "Armageddon" has my fave song by them on it by the way, "Mirror Man" (it's still my favorite despite the fact that I avoid mirrors at my age).
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 8:13 am

I like the title track off Armageddon, Virginia, You Walked Away Again, Mirror Man...that's just one solid album!

Oh... and I avoid mirrors like the plague...

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12615

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 9:08 am

I never owned an lp by them but I saw them open up for Heart at Six Flags over Texas in Arlington in 85'. Watched the show from backstage with some local boys who later went on to bigger things.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 1:10 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I did a search and didn't find any threads about this midwest band.

I just found out they're playing a gig here in a couple weeks. I thought this band called it quits years ago! They were a staple during my college years; sort of a heavier and less prog version of Kansas. Their S/T was my favorite but the closest they ever came to a hit was the title track to Hang On For Your Life but I played the crap outta Last Chance.

Anybody else ever listen to this band?

[url=http://www.myspace.com/shootingstarband
http://www.myspace.com/shootingstarband[/quote[/url]]

I can't say I know much about the band, but I first caught wind of them when their song "Touch Me Tonight" was used in the closing credits of a great "B" movie called "I Come In Peace", starring Dolph Lundgren and Brian Ben Ben (Dream On fame). The first thing I thought when hearing this song was that this was the band Genesis. I thought the vocalist had such a similarity to Phil Collins, and the overall sound was that of Genesis.

At some point I will delve deeper into their catalog.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 7:57 pm

Actually, they are closer to Kansas than Genesis IMO. Especially the early stuff.

When you want to delve into them, I'd suggest the S/T and Hang On For Your Life.

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 1:30 am

Was just listing to "Hanf On" a couple days ago. Hollywood still gets me to my core every time and I have heard that song 1000 times!!!!
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2018 11:02 pm

Well, this blows...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/shooting-star-founding-member-van-mclain-dies-after-long-illness/

I remember responding to this thread years back. I eventually did purchase four Shooting Star albums: s/t, Hang On For Your Life, III Wishes and Silent Scream. I still need to get (1983's) Burning.

R.I.P. Van Mclain
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 12:58 am

Love this album and song....
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 8:19 am

Not familar with them, which is surprising since this style is right up my alley. I like this song, had never heard it until today. Kind of reminds me of "I'll Fall In Love Again" by Sammy.

That song is off the ST which is THE Shooting Star album to get IMO. Hang On is good too.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 11:13 am

Check out this track from the S/T:

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 1:08 pm

My dad has their first few on vinyl and that's how I first head of them. I don't listen to them often but they definitely have some great and rather unique songs.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 6:32 pm

There are a lot of good tracks on the ST IMO.  They're like a slightly more accessible Kansas.

Oh and in regard to the post that resurrected this long gone thread, RIP Van Mclain.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 6:41 pm

A couple more from the S/T:

A lot of the music I listened to in my college days doesn't hold up too well but I think Shooting Star does.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2018 9:21 pm

I had heard of the name but never the music til just now, and it was not bad.
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 688

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2018 4:05 am

I always thought they were a huge band everywhere back in the day. In the Bay Area they were in constant rotation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shooting Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting Star   Shooting Star Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shooting Star
Page 1 of 1