Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Grave Robber-Be Affraid

Go down 
+7
WRETCHED
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
Shiney
mc666
kmorg
DallasBlack
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Grave Robber-Be Affraid Empty
PostSubject: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 8:49 am

Anybody familiar with these horror punk newcommers? From the good people at Retroactive Records comes this punk monster and I must say I am impressed. HM magazine calls this "Sim Wilson (Undercover) singing for the Misfits, while wearing zombie masks." Being vaguely familiar with both bands mentioned, I am inclined to agree. The funny thing is these guys look like Slipknot but have a lot more personality IMO. This is not sugar coated pop punk, this is Raw and loud; it is just another suprise contender for my top albums this year (I see myself listening to this many more times). I don't normally listen to this syle of music but if there are more bands that sound like this, I may be inclined to broaden my horizon. The music is fun to listen to and has a good message behind it and I will keep a look out for more from these guys.

Their MySpace page:

http://www.myspace.com/graverobberpunk
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 10:52 am

I've been wondering about whether or not to buy this thing. Might end up checking it out.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 11:00 am

i love this band. i would recommend it to punk fans.

Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 3:11 pm

I got a copy of this awhile back to review, which I intend to do sometime...

it's solid. Nothing earthshatteringly new or original, but solid and tightly done...

The vox are croony strong...very MISFITsy but a bit stronger (imo)

I could do without the dumb "remix" at the end...but a great cd....

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 10:41 pm

Shiney wrote:
I could do without the dumb "remix" at the end...

Exactly what I thought. I listened for a second or two before I couldn't hear another note (totally unneccessary).
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 10:51 am

I like 'em. Reviewed them on NLTM. Not a huge punk fan, but found this disc to be enjoyable.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 11:52 am

I stumbled across these guys while trolling CDBaby a while back. I don't have the disc yet but it's on my neverending shopping list. It sounds a LOT like latter era Misfits (with Michale Graves on vocals) to me. The singer is a dead ringer (pun not intended) for Graves. The Misfits oughta steal that guy if they ever want to put out another record!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 11:17 pm

Now that I've been reminded of this band, I've been listening to the tunes on their MySpace page as I surf tonight. WOW, these dudes womp some booty! I gotta get me this CD soon! 🤘 Next time I order from CDBaby, this one is mine!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 8:24 am

On thing I found distracting about this CD was the over use of the "Whoah, oh, oh" gang chorus. I suppose this is part of the band's signature sound, however, it seems to be used in at least half the songs here, if not more and become a bit redundant.

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 8:28 am

ultmetal wrote:
the over use of the "Whoah, oh, oh" gang chorus. I suppose this is part of the band's signature sound

No, that's the Misfits signature sound. These guys are just a bit on the knockoff side.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 8:07 pm

spectrefate wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
the over use of the "Whoah, oh, oh" gang chorus. I suppose this is part of the band's signature sound

No, that's the Misfits signature sound. These guys are just a bit on the knockoff side.

Yup, what he said.

Quote :
I don't normally listen to this syle of music but if there are more bands that sound like this, I may be inclined to broaden my horizon.

Pick up any of the following Misfits albums: AMERICAN PSYCHO (1997), FAMOUS MONSTERS (1999) and CUTS FROM THE CRYPT (2001), which Grave Robber resembles greatly. If you like those, then head back into the Misfits '80s catalog with Glenn Danzig on vocals. By then you'll be well on your way to a year-round Halloween Hootenanny!!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 4:12 pm

Guest wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Hey there!

Wretched from Grave Robber here. I want to clarify something. Grave Robber is NOT a bit on the knockoff side. . .

WE ARE A BLATANT RIP OFF OF THE MISFITS!! HAHA!!

Ok, seriously, we love The Misfits and horror punk in general. The whoah-ohs are pretty much a signature of the genre, just like crazy wicked solos are signature of most subgenres of metal. I can't imagine power metal without solos and horror punk without "whoas-oh" would be pretty boring. It gives the audience something to sing along to immediately when they see the band live. That's what we are about the live experience and engaging the audience in participating with us. They show isn't just us. It's everyone in the room!

I'm glad so many metal fans are (ahem) digging what we are doing. Truth is, we are big metal fans, too!

If you get a moment, shoot over to our myspace site:

www.myspace.com/graverobberpunk

Thanx again everyone!

Escaping the grave,
Wretched
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 3:06 am

Thaks for dropping in and thanks for the awesome music. Definatly one of the top albums of the year for me.
Back to top Go down
WRETCHED
Metal novice
Metal novice
WRETCHED

Number of posts : 56

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 2:13 pm

Dallas! Thanx, man. Very flattering. We really appreciate that!

Again, we wanna be friend with everyone we can, so please visit our myspace: www.myspace.com/graverobberpunk

Drop us a line, we respond to everyone!

Escaping the grave,
Wretched
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 2:21 pm

Got my copy of this a couple weeks ago. This would definitely appeal to anyone who likes The Misfits. Great, singalong choruses.

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 6:17 pm

Hadn't played this album in months so I had it with me all week on the road and boy does it get better with each listen.

Looking forward to more from these guys.
Back to top Go down
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 7:37 pm

I'm fairly certain that the vocalist for this band is also the new singer for Main Line Riders.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 7:55 pm

I call them the christian version of graves era misfits. Awesome, awesome band....I dig the masks and getup, reminds me of something Lordi or Gwar would do...haha. I first heard about them when they wanted to be my friend on myspace, than toho recomended them. I still need to get their two albums.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 7:58 pm

Quote :
. I first heard about them when they wanted to be my friend on myspace, than toho recomended them.

Me recommending a band is usually the kiss of death but in this instance, I stand by my original opinion. Grave Robber is a Christian version of Graves-era Misfits.

And the lyrics aren't "preachy" either.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 10:05 pm

Stender wrote:
I call them the christian version of graves era misfits. Awesome, awesome band....I dig the masks and getup, reminds me of something Lordi or Gwar would do...haha. I first heard about them when they wanted to be my friend on myspace, than toho recomended them. I still need to get their two albums.

They have TWO? What is the other one and how can I get it? Be Affraid is such a fun listen everytime, great album!
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 1:51 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Stender wrote:

They have TWO? What is the other one and how can I get it? Be Affraid is such a fun listen everytime, great album!

I think the other one is their debut called inner sanctum, but I'm not positive.
Back to top Go down
WRETCHED
Metal novice
Metal novice
WRETCHED

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 12:18 pm

Stender wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Stender wrote:

I think the other one is their debut called inner sanctum, but I'm not positive.

Hey!

Inner Sanctum is our new cd coming out Oct. 13th.

If you wwant some really old stuff, demos, comp tracks, etc. We have a digital download only release called "The Shovel Is Family". You can order that straight from us and we'll send you a download card with a code on it to download the entire thing straight to your 'puter.

For more info on ordering "Shovel", go to www.myspace.com/graverobberpunk and read the blog about it.

Shalom,
Wretched
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 2:23 pm

I consider myself a fan. I have the original version of "Be Afraid" with what I think is the superior artwork. Don't have the RetroActive version yet. Other than the remix track, is there any difference in the mastering that might warrant a re-purchase, other than collection completeness?

Oh, and the "Love Hurts" 7" is AWESOME. I prefer the more raw version of "Burn Witch, Burn" on that than the version on the album. It's killer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
WRETCHED
Metal novice
Metal novice
WRETCHED

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 11:23 am

MetalFRO wrote:
I consider myself a fan. I have the original version of "Be Afraid" with what I think is the superior artwork. Don't have the RetroActive version yet. Other than the remix track, is there any difference in the mastering that might warrant a re-purchase, other than collection completeness?

Oh, and the "Love Hurts" 7" is AWESOME. I prefer the more raw version of "Burn Witch, Burn" on that than the version on the album. It's killer.

Yes, the Retroactive Version is re-mastered and sounds freakin' huge!

If you like the Love Hurts 7", get the download card!! The 7" is on that, too and it's been remastered. Sounds great!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grave Robber-Be Affraid   Grave Robber-Be Affraid Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grave Robber-Be Affraid
Page 1 of 1