Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Recent Discoveries Pt. 3: Atargatis

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Recent Discoveries Pt. 3: Atargatis Empty
PostSubject: Recent Discoveries Pt. 3: Atargatis   Recent Discoveries Pt. 3: Atargatis Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 10:22 pm

On my last trip to Virgin I got three albums from bands I never knew existed until then. They would have been blind purchases (something I just can't do anymore with a limited budget-and so many damn albums out there) if Virgin did't have a way to hear samples from most of the CDs they carry. This album is Nova from Argatis:

Recent Discoveries Pt. 3: Atargatis Atargatis_P_Nova

Just like the last three, these guys are from Locomotive records and Germany (where the hell does Germany get all this talent from?). These guys stradle the fence between symphonic metal and goth metal. The orchestration is kept to a minimum but it does contain beauty and the beast vocals (though the beast vocals are also kept to a minimum). The female vocalist has an unusal voice that at first I found somewhat annoying but I have since developed a taste for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy7i7xa5-a0&feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrpZpTnsUII

The first song is one that stands out the most on this album IMO and is a great representation of what her voice sounds like. They are the least favorite of my recent discoveries but they are pretty decent. I will probably get their debut in the futre. Here is a song from that album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYrx1LTpuLo&feature=related
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Recent Discoveries Pt. 3: Atargatis   Recent Discoveries Pt. 3: Atargatis Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 1:27 pm

I was just checking out some of the videos. Theyr ok I dont think I'll go out and buy this anytime soon though. Their bass player looks almost like that fat guy from the tv show LOST.

The whole operatic female vocals in metal have kinda died out for me. Except for Nightwish and Within Temptation. Another newer female operatic band is Leaves Eyes. My gf recently bought their cd I didnt care for that one either. Her vocals are just way too soft for their style of music.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Recent Discoveries Pt. 3: Atargatis   Recent Discoveries Pt. 3: Atargatis Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 7:26 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Another newer female operatic band is Leaves Eyes. My gf recently bought their cd I didnt care for that one either. Her vocals are just way too soft for their style of music.

I love her voice, ever since I heard Theatre of Tragedy back in the late 90's. Maybe I since I have a long-time crush on her voice I don't notice it beeing too soft for the music. IMO, Leaves' Eyes music is written with her in mind and wouldn't sound as good with another vocalist. LE is more toward the softer side of symphonic metal so it needs a softer voice.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Recent Discoveries Pt. 3: Atargatis   Recent Discoveries Pt. 3: Atargatis Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 7:51 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I was just checking out some of the videos. Theyr ok I dont think I'll go out and buy this anytime soon though. Their bass player looks almost like that fat guy from the tv show LOST.

The whole operatic female vocals in metal have kinda died out for me. Except for Nightwish and Within Temptation. Another newer female operatic band is Leaves Eyes. My gf recently bought their cd I didnt care for that one either. Her vocals are just way too soft for their style of music.

That's become my opinion too. And I agree about Leaves' Eyes; her voice is just too "thin and reedy" for what they are trying to do.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Recent Discoveries Pt. 3: Atargatis   Recent Discoveries Pt. 3: Atargatis Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 10:30 pm

Same thing with Epica. I tried to listen to them, again cause my girlfriend picked the cd up, and I just dont like her voice either. For some strange reason though she sounds good as a guest on other albums. Like when she did a song with Kamelot and also the song she did with Primal Fear are great. I just dont like Epicas sound or something I dunno.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recent Discoveries Pt. 3: Atargatis   Recent Discoveries Pt. 3: Atargatis Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recent Discoveries Pt. 3: Atargatis
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: