Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Servant

Go down 
+2
tohostudios
Stender
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Servant Empty
PostSubject: Servant   Servant Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 6:07 pm

A few years ago my dad told me about these guys who he used to listen to alot in the early-mid 80's called Servant. I inherited some of his old cassette copies of their albums, the one I have so far is "swimming in a human ocean". They are also from Grants Pass, Oregon which isnt too far from where I live, I just need to get CD copies of their stuff now.

Any followers?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Servant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servant   Servant Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 7:22 pm

Man, I used to listen to this band a lot.

When they formed, Christian hard rock was really rare. You had Petra and Rez Band and little else. I loved that they were a female fronted Christian hard rock band.

In retrospect, I don't think their music holds up very well; it sounds dated. But I give them props for being pioneers in the Christian hard music genre.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Servant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servant   Servant Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2008 7:44 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Man, I used to listen to this band a lot.

When they formed, Christian hard rock was really rare. You had Petra and Rez Band and little else. I loved that they were a female fronted Christian hard rock band.

In retrospect, I don't think their music holds up very well; it sounds dated. But I give them props for being pioneers in the Christian hard music genre.

yeah, I like it when the girl sings also, I thought it was a very unique voice when I first heard it. The male singer on the other hand isnt as good in my opinion. Their music was kind of obscure with interesting lyrics sometimes which I think made them a little less accessible to the majority of the Christian crowd back then. I like their lyrics, some of them are absolute genious.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Servant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servant   Servant Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2008 6:48 am

I got 4 of their albums. I like 'em when I'm in the mood.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Servant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servant   Servant Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2008 10:12 am

SIAHO was their sisth and last album. The male lead singer (Eric Odell) was a new guy, as Bob Hardy had left the band at that point. I would recommend World of Sand and Shallow Waters as their hardest rocking albums, and the ones that hold up best, IMO. The first four have been re-released on cd, so you should be able to find those. I don't know when or even if Light Manuevers or SIAHO will be released.

I saw Servant live back in 83 on the Great America Album Givaway tour, which actually came through our little town. They were a great live band and really nice people to boot. I roadied for them at that show, along with a lot of the other kids in our youth group. We got to hang out with them and eat with them, and they gave us all shirts that said "Righteous Roadie". Pretty cool.

RIP to Bruce Wright (guitars) who died in 1993.....
Back to top Go down

Servant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servant   Servant Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 10:17 am

Is this the same band dUg Pinnick was once a member of?
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Servant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servant   Servant Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 10:51 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

No, although that band (also called Servant) featured Matt Spransy and dUg is credited on a few songs because Matt brought over one song and some lyrics from the Joliet Servant that they were in together. He co-wrote "I'm Gonna Live" from Rockin' Revival and they used one of his choruses for "Sudden Death" on World of Sand.
Back to top Go down

Servant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servant   Servant Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 12:27 pm

Does dUg play on any recordings from either band?
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Servant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servant   Servant Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 4:20 pm

He was never on any recordings from the Grant's Pass Servant that I am aware of, but yes dUg sang and played bass on the Joliet Servant's demo version of I'm Gonna Live with Matt Spransy on keyboards. I have that song on mp3 if you are interested, Shawn.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Servant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servant   Servant Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 12:57 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I was wondering the same thing.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Servant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servant   Servant Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 7:42 pm

tohostudios wrote:

I listened to some demo CDs of them at Mardel's and there was just something about them I didn't care for (I just couldn't put my finger on it at the time). Probably was the dated sound that put me off it.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Servant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servant   Servant Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 12:05 am

Put on swimming in a human ocean just now. Wow I forgot I liked this band so much, the non-metal female vocalist thread reminded me of how great servants vocalist was.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Servant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servant   Servant Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Servant
Page 1 of 1