Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands

Go down 
+12
Troublezone
GrandNational
rattpoison
exact33
DeathCult
XYZ
Required Fields
mc666
James B.
tohostudios
scottmitchell74
ultmetal
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Empty
PostSubject: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 7:15 pm

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/69730/the-25-best-heavy-metal-bands

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 7:22 pm

Not a bad list at all. Hard to argue when the vast majority of the major players are there (however out of order they may be!)
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 7:22 pm

Yeah, I saw this yesterday.

I would re-label it "25 Most Influential Heavy Metal Bands". Then I think the list is more accurate

As lists go, I thought this was one of the better ones.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 7:28 pm

Folks in the 40 ish age bracket will say one thing
and so on down the line....

The person offered thier opinion and it's kewl they took the time to even do it period. Have to remmeber that is all it is, an opinion.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 7:37 pm

James B. wrote:
Folks in the 40 ish age bracket will say one thing
and so on down the line....

The person offered thier opinion and it's kewl they took the time to even do it period. Have to remmeber that is all it is, an opinion.

I enjoyed reading his little write-ups on each band. I wouldn't agree with all of them, but still a cool list. Spinal Tap were an odd inclusion IMO.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 7:41 pm

Spinal Tap was my main quarrel with the list. Great movie but not appropriate for this list IMO>

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 7:48 pm

Ult said...

Quote :
I enjoyed reading his little write-ups on each band. I wouldn't agree with all of them, but still a cool list. Spinal Tap were an odd inclusion IMO.

I was gonna comment down those same lines about his lil notes but I have a habit of rabbit trailing stuff....so I kept it short and sweet.

the Spinal Tap was odd but it made it interesting if thier intent was to motivate dialouge besides just offering a list ?

Laterz
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 9:01 pm

it's cool that he enjoys the music enough to complile such a list. obviously mine would look much different, but respect all the same.

Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 9:02 pm

Strange list. Very strange.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 9:44 pm

Spinal Tap was odd, but it seems to be a good list. It's too anticlimactic. You already know who's No.1 before you read it.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 10:36 pm

Interesting a list, his opinion on it isnt too bad. Personally though, Id like to actually see a bigger subgenre spanning list when it comes to this. I know most people arent overly eclectic when it comes to the more extreme forms especially, but Napalm Death deserves to be on any metal best list.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 10:39 pm

The good band are there I wouldn't have include some of them. The position are totally wrong exept for Black Sabbath. There's some great band missing.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 11:06 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Spinal Tap was my main quarrel with the list. Great movie but not appropriate for this list IMO>

Yeah. I kinda wondered about that one as well. I think it is one of the better articles though. He nailed the bigger acts pretty well which shows he has some common metal sense. The others I would remove from the list would be Alice in Chains, Pantera, Kyuss, Aerosmith and Jimi Hendrix. My list would look something like (and I lean towards pm bands):

1. Black Sabbath
2. Iron Maiden
3. Judas Priest
4. Dio
5. Metallica
6. Slayer
7. Helloween
8. motorhead
9. Kiss
10. Alice Cooper
11. Van Halen
12. Megadeth
13. Death
14. Anthrax
15. Dimmu Borgir
16. Symphony X
17. Motley Crue
18. Queensryche
19. Testament
20. Exodus
21. Yngwie
22. Rush
23. Hammerfall
24. Dream Theater
25. Rhapsody

rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 11:49 pm

Good to see Kyuss in there.

Hugely important to the history of Heavy Metal yet criminally overlooked, really only talked about in musician and critics cricles much like that of King's X.

So that right there tells me this guy know's his stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 12:01 am

ultmetal wrote:
[url=http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/69730/the-25-best-heavy-metal-bands
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/69730/the-25-best-heavy-metal-bands[/quote[/url]] seems more like a popularity contest on the way it was judged.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 12:40 am

I guess we can all have our top 25 metal bands and most would be very different from one another. More than half the bands on that list wouldn't even qualify on my top 50, let alone top 25. It's fun to read them though.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 1:37 am

His list was all over the place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 9:11 am

Come on removing Jimi Hendrix? Exact33...Considere that you have no more respect from me! angry
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 9:35 am

GrandNational wrote:
I guess we can all have our top 25 metal bands and most would be very different from one another. More than half the bands on that list wouldn't even qualify on my top 50, let alone top 25. It's fun to read them though.

That's why I'd retitle that list as "most influential" because there are bands listed that I don't really like but I can appreciate their impact on heavy music.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 9:53 am

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that saw Alice In Chains (Facelift and Dirt IMO) as being metal. I always thought of those two albums as alternative metal, but I know I'm in the minority on that.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 12:26 pm

AceFrehley655 wrote:
Come on removing Jimi Hendrix? Exact33...Considere that you have no more respect from me! angry

I have always considered hendrix to be rock. Didnt bust on him for not being good - just not metal Smile

Alex

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 12:54 pm

exact33 wrote:
AceFrehley655 wrote:

I have always considered hendrix to be rock. Didnt bust on him for not being good - just not metal Smile

Alex

Yeah but he's probably the one that influenced most of the metal band. Maybe your right but I would include him in the most influencing metal artist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 1:36 pm

Decent list. I agree that it should have been renamed most influential. I would say that the Who, Megadeth, and Anthrax should be on there.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 2:05 pm

Quote :
17) Kiss: They may never get the respect they crave. But they've got the sales they always wanted. If any band can be said to be a retail industry, it's Kiss. While so many bemoan the fate of the music business since music is so often distributed free these days, Kiss were already making merchandise a key monetary hub in their organization while others were busy building up their reputations with critics. Now grab your Kiss lunchbox and set it down on your Ace Frehley dinette set with those Peter Criss utensils to nicely cut up that Gene Simmons Bologna and Paul Stanley Liverwurst. I don't even own this paragraph. Gene Simmons does.

That had me laughing my @$$ off!

Pretty good list, actually. He covers most styles, the bands that are generally given credit for spawning those styles, etc. I'd obviously have a MUCH different list, but you got to give the dude some credit for such a varied list.

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 4:05 pm

Priest should be higher on any metal list.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands   The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next