Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Martyrs Shrine

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Martyrs Shrine Empty
PostSubject: Martyrs Shrine   Martyrs Shrine Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 4:05 pm

Alright death metal fans. Micheal Carlile is back to his roots and it sounds pretty dang good. No core and no melo hear and of course you hear some of the old Morty sound. I highly recommend this if you are missing the classic death of yore.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Martyrs Shrine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martyrs Shrine   Martyrs Shrine Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 5:24 pm

I've got it. I think it's pretty good, but lacking in some ways as well. Some of the songs seem to be overly long and in dire need of some lead guitar work to add some spice. I sort of dig the overally simplicity of the songwriting. Here is a rough draft of the review I am working on:
Quote :
Martyrs Shrine is a project by two ex-Mortification and ex-Cybergrind members, guitarist Michael Carlisle and drummer Mike Forsberg. Together these two guys deliver simple, heavy, old-school death metal. Michael Carlisle performs all the guitar and bass parts, while Mike Forsberg performs all the drums and vocals. For the most part Forsberg's vocals are low, gutteral growls. They sound as though they may have been pitch shifted to give them a more "brutal" sound. Musically, the band members have gone back to their roots writing simplistic, mostly mid-paced death metal like Six Feet Deep or Bolt Thrower. That's not to say there isn't some fast parts on here too. There are those necessary blast beats, and even some slower doomy parts to give the songs a bit more variety. Of course with Carlisle writing, there are some similarities to early Mortification as well. The guitars a tuned down at least one full step, making for a raw, heavy guitar sound.

Unfortunately many of the songs are really long without offering enough variation in the riffs to keep it interesting. One thing that might have added to the album would have been some guitar solos. I don't recall hearing even one guitar solo throughout this album, not even some simplistic melodic solos. Michael Carlisle sticks to playing rhythm guitar only. Frankly, I think this holds the album back a bit from what could have been. I much prefer the last three, shorter songs to the longer, epic length songs. As it stands, however, this is still an enjoyable CD. There is something almost enchanting about the simplicity of it all. Perhaps it's nostalgia for the days when death metal was about the grunt and grind, rather than writing overly technical songs. Those longing for the early days of death metal should find something to enjoy here. However, if technical songwriting is your game, Martyrs Shrine isn't for you. Essential collecting for Mortification fanatics. Hardcore collector's will want to also look for the original, independent pressing of this album, which has a different cover and was limited to only 500 autographed copies.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Martyrs Shrine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martyrs Shrine   Martyrs Shrine Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Back to top Go down

Martyrs Shrine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martyrs Shrine   Martyrs Shrine Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 11:46 pm

(exposes back for the lashings)
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Martyrs Shrine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martyrs Shrine   Martyrs Shrine Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 11:53 pm

The shame.....
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Martyrs Shrine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martyrs Shrine   Martyrs Shrine Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 11:57 pm

quick! we need someone to kill this thread before eyesore sees it!!!

TH Joe
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
TH Joe

Number of posts : 450

Martyrs Shrine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martyrs Shrine   Martyrs Shrine Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 2:46 am

I liked this CD. It isn't that bad.
Back to top Go down

Martyrs Shrine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martyrs Shrine   Martyrs Shrine Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 12:51 pm

I really like it, death metal often doesn't have memorable solos.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Martyrs Shrine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martyrs Shrine   Martyrs Shrine Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 2:14 pm

emptytomb1 wrote:

Memorable solos? I don't think there are any solos. The songs are just too long to not have some sort of guitar work other than simple rhythms.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Martyrs Shrine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martyrs Shrine   Martyrs Shrine Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 10:37 pm

emptytomb1 wrote:

Are you sure your listening to the same cd as the rest of us? scratch
Back to top Go down

Martyrs Shrine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martyrs Shrine   Martyrs Shrine Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 11:10 pm

Maybe i'm just too simple. I like it. It's gud.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Martyrs Shrine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martyrs Shrine   Martyrs Shrine Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 3:25 am

emptytomb1 wrote:
Maybe i'm just too simple. I like it. It's gud.

I'm not saying it's bad i'm saying it has no guitar solos on it. I personally like it but i agree with ult that it lacks solos.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Martyrs Shrine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Martyrs Shrine   Martyrs Shrine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Martyrs Shrine
Page 1 of 1