Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...

Go down 
+15
brontotex
sovdat
Metal Misfit
rattpoison
Tall Tyrion
TrogDawn
Thrasher73
powermacho
A Handful of Wayne
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
tohostudios
scottmitchell74
Muloc7253
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Empty
PostSubject: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 2:06 pm

When sorting bands and artists out in alphabetical order, how do you decide on whether an artist name should go by second name or first? Sounds a bit weird, let me explain.

Would 'Alice Cooper' CDs be categorised under Cooper? Sure it's a second name...but is it really? Or is Alice Cooper the name of the band, and thus the band be listed under 'A'. Same with Marilyn Manson, Ozzy Osbourne, Ted Nugent...what's the definitive way of defining is something is a band name or artist name?
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 2:07 pm

I sort mine by the age of the artist at the time of the recording.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 2:18 pm

I think that Alice Cooper albums must take over the "A", Ozzy Osbourne albums under the "O" ecc...
I sort mine under this way...
Back to top Go down
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 2:19 pm

JerryOnly wrote:
I think that Alice Cooper albums must take over the "A", Ozzy Osbourne albums under the "O" ecc...

So would Bob Dylan go under B?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 2:21 pm

Muloc7253 wrote:
JerryOnly wrote:

So would Bob Dylan go under B?

I really think yes, I would do that in this way... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 2:22 pm

It's even harder when the band's name is a fake name like Jethro Tull or Johnny Crash. I file them under "J" but if the name is the artists real name, I use the first letter of the last name.

Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 2:25 pm

tohostudios wrote:
It's even harder when the band's name is a fake name like Jethro Tull or Johnny Crash. I file them under "J" but if the name is the artists real name, I use the first letter of the last name.

Yeah, that sort of thing is really annoying.

I guess I tend to go by whether I assosiate the name with a band or an artist. Marilyn Manson and Alice Cooper I tend to assosiate with a band better (even though I refer to the frontman by that name too) because they stuck with (sort of) the same band, that changed over time (not including their most very recent stuff). I see Ozzy Osbourne as more a singular artist. I dunno, it's a difficult one. As you said, Jethro Tull is one of the most annoying.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 2:38 pm

I go by the last name.
Cooper, Alice
Dylan, Bob
Nugent, Ted
Osbourne, Ozzy

Jethro Tull is a band name and is not someone in the band. Same with Pink Floyd. Therefore I got with the first word in the name.

Alice Cooper indeed was a band name, but has since become the singers name. Same with Marilyn Manson.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 2:51 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I go by the last name.
Cooper, Alice
Dylan, Bob
Nugent, Ted
Osbourne, Ozzy

Jethro Tull is a band name and is not someone in the band. Same with Pink Floyd. Therefore I got with the first word in the name.

Alice Cooper indeed was a band name, but has since become the singers name. Same with Marilyn Manson.

Same here, although I recently moved Lizzy Borden from the "L" section and moved them to "B". Alice Cooper has always been in with the other "C"s
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 2:53 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
I go by the last name.
Cooper, Alice
Dylan, Bob
Nugent, Ted
Osbourne, Ozzy

Same here, although I recently moved Lizzy Borden from the "L" section and moved them to "B". Alice Cooper has always been in with the other "C"s

See now I contradict myself with Lizzy Borden. I have them in with L, but won't be moving them because it's far too much reshuffling.

ult

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 2:59 pm

I recently went through rearranging all of my cds and they all go by the first name. I arranged everything in order from how my ipod displays it. I used to have it kind of messed up where some would be according to the last name and some wouldnt, then I was bored one day and just decided to take everything down and start all over again. That took a couple of hours haha.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 3:06 pm

ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
I go by the last name.
Cooper, Alice
Dylan, Bob
Nugent, Ted
Osbourne, Ozzy

See now I contradict myself with Lizzy Borden. I have them in with L, but won't be moving them because it's far too much reshuffling.

ult

I had Lizzy in the L's for the longest time but when I purchased his last cd, I thought, "This should be under B". Dunno why I moved 'em after so many years.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 3:10 pm

Do you file solo albums under the person's name or with the band the artist is normally in?

I actually do both. For instance, I have David Readman's solo album under "R" not with Pink Cream 69. But for some reason, I have Ian Anderson's solo stuff after Jethro Tull in the "Js".

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 3:16 pm

I always get confused everytime I go to a store, I guess I will have to use the last name to find them
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 4:36 pm

I go by first name.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 6:17 pm

IMO, if the band's name is also the name of a person in the band (and Alice Cooper is Vincent Furnier's legal name these days) it goes under the first letter of the last name.

If the band name is a person's name who is not in the band (i.e. Jethro Tull, Uriah Heep, Steely Dan, Molly Hatchet, Lynyrd Skynyrd) I file it under first letter of the first word in the name. A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... 309780

But don't burn yourself out over it - as long as YOU know where you keep it, isn't that all that really matters? (OCD traits notwithstanding) Wink

Here's another nice little quirky question: with cd's, do you have to spin the cd around so it's straight in the jewel case when you put it away? And with vinyl, do you make sure that the albums are stored Side A facing front and label straight?

I do.
What a Face
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 7:10 pm

i don't have any problem like this...i divide my vinyls by countries...of course US by states like: alaska-snow white, arizona-exiled, colorado- jag panzer, titan force, satan's host, salem spade, connecticut- ESP, liege lord, sacred oath, florida: iron cross, thatcher, leather nunn etc...of course the ball is lost in states like texas, new york, new jersey, cali, illinois, ohio....
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 7:39 pm

Quote :

Here's another nice little quirky question: with cd's, do you have to spin the cd around so it's straight in the jewel case when you put it away? And with vinyl, do you make sure that the albums are stored Side A facing front and label straight?

Whoa! I guess I'm pretty normal because I sure don't do that!

How about this one. Where do you file bands who's name begins with a number? I tend to put them at the end of the letter with which their name would begin if the number was spelled out.

So 311 and 38 Special are at the end of the "Ts".

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 7:45 pm

TrogDawn wrote:

I do. [/color] What a Face

Did you remember to face all of the bills in your wallet with the heads pointing the same direction and by sequential serial numbers? Cool
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 9:06 pm

Easy, pre-Welcome To Your Nightmare Alice Cooper records go under 'A' due to them being band records while Welcome To Your Nightmare onwards go under 'C' due to them being solo records. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 11:24 pm

I put all bands named after someone in the band under the last name. Thus Ben Harper goes under H. Dave Matthews's solo album goes under M. But Dave Matthews Band would go under D, since Band is tagged onto the end. Then where do you put Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals? Well, I put it under H. Harper, Ben & The Innocent Criminals.

It's been a while, but I'm thinking this is the proper way to alphabetize. Can't remember, though.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 12:25 am

I gave up sorting my albums a many, many years ago. I just let the CDs fall where they may. Very Happy

I used to be real obsessive about it though, but it got to be too much of a hassle.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 12:41 am

TrogDawn wrote:

I do.
What a Face

Yep,Trog my OCD tendencies are as bad as yours.The cd has to be straight in the case.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 2:08 am

ultmetal wrote:

Diamond, King? Very Happy

Well, at least Ozzy Osbourne is definitely under the 'O' Smile
Back to top Go down
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 8:59 am

thrasher73 wrote:
TrogDawn wrote:

I do.
What a Face

Yep,Trog my OCD tendencies are as bad as yours.The cd has to be straight in the case.

You mean having the logo parallel in the case? Yep, guilty for that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...   A really obsessive collector's "problem" but... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A really obsessive collector's "problem" but...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next