Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Right, I'm off

Go down 
+13
EvyMetal
rattpoison
the sentinel
Stender
TheGooch
Tall Tyrion
kmorg
Fat Freddy
scottmitchell74
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
mc666
Smindas
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 12:56 pm

Well, tomorrow at least. Don't think I've actually mentioned this here, but on Friday I'm going to be heading off to Japan for around six weeks for what will arguably a once in a life time experience. Not satisfied with spending my entire gap year working as a waiter in a messily run restaurant, I have opted to do what everyone else is and spend my hard earned money going to far flung places that I may not have the chance to visit in the future due to university and presumably, a job afterwards.

Surprisingly, I didn't pick Japan for the nerdy-fun that a lot of people would expect. I'm sure I'll indulge in that a little bit, but it's really not the reason I'm going there. Being close to starting a 3 year degree on Anthropology, I figured a country as socially and culturally diverse as Japan would prove one hell of an experience. It's a country renowned for its technological advancements, and yet there's the beautiful juxtaposition of 'Old Japan' in between everything.*insert further pretentious rubbish here* I was originally going to hit India, being half Indian and all, and whilst it would've been cheaper, I've been there before (admittedly when I was too young to properly appreciate it) and would like to check out somewhere new. Rather than list further, poorly worded logic as to why Japan is my destination of choice, I'll leave it at that.

So what are my plans, if any? Firstly, I don't actually leave tomorrow. My flight is Friday afternoon (arriving in Tokyo Saturday morning), but I will be going down to London tomorrow afternoon and probably won't have another chance to write this. Anyway, I have family (my aunt, uncle and two cousins) in Tokyo, who I will chill with for the first 5 days or so. My friend Alex, who has been teaching English as a foreign language in Shanghai up until last week, will join me with my family for those few days before we set off on our little travelling expedition. We both have 3 week Japan Rail passes that will give us unlimited use for that period and access to most of Japan, so we're going to do some fairly off-the-cuff traveling. We'll plan things vaguely in Tokyo - we both have destinations and sights we wish to visit and so we'll both try and to adhere to each other's plans. After those 3 weeks, we'll probably stay grounded somewhere like Kyoto for a week, before returning to Tokyo where we will spend the last week or however many days we have left at that point. Theoretically, it should be a spectacular experience and I am rather excited and apprehensive at the same time. I might write a shoddy blog so I have some kind of textual memory of my travels, which if I do, I'll post a link to here. Don't bet on that though, I'm a lazy bastard.

I'm sure I've excluded some important details, but I can't think what. For those of you who can't be arsed to read this (I don't blame you, noone asked me to impart my plans to you kids), it basically amounts to "I'll be gone for the best part of two months". Back in good old Blighty on June 21st - have fun in my absence!

EDIT: I think it's worth mentioning I'm currently shoving a handful of new albums on to my iPod so I have some travelling music. Epic stuff.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 1:18 pm

have a good trip. i've always thought about traveling to the orient myself.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 1:20 pm

Wow. Sounds like a really cool time. Enjoy yourself and check in with some updates if/when you can.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 1:30 pm

Have a Good trip bro.Be sure to check out some of the cd shops while there.Dont forget to check in with us too.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 1:38 pm

I know why you're going!

"Oh - geishas - they cater to your every whim. They're shy
at first, but they're quite skilled at conversation. They can discuss
anything from world affairs to the fine art of fishing - or baking."

Have fun! I've always wanted to go to Japan myself and in fact it's on the LIST.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 1:54 pm

Sounds awesome. Enjoy your trip... and make sure to put aside a bunch of money for all those Japanese CDs with bonus tracks!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 2:02 pm

By me the last Andrew WK album! Haha. Please?

Have a good time. Stay away from the hookers—especially the one's with penises.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 2:31 pm

Sounds like a blast. Truly a ones in a life time thing. Have fun stormin' the castle!!!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 2:35 pm

Eyesore wrote:

You're thinking of Thailand. You can always tell the trannies by the adam's apple. The consealed penis is usually a dead giveaway as well.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 2:44 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

You're thinking of Thailand. You can always tell the trannies by the adam's apple. The consealed penis is usually a dead giveaway as well.

Speaking from experience, I'm sure!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 2:46 pm

I'm jealous! lol!

Have a great time, man.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 2:48 pm

I was wondering how long it'd tack this topic to degenerate in to rooster jokes. You guys impress me, haha. Cheers for the kind of words.

Eyesore, how could you not have imported Close Calls With Brick Walls? Amazing rock album, I'm telling you ;p Definitely worth the import. Anyway, I'm actually on quite a tight budget so really the less I buy, the better. But if I have a bit left over, I might go see Avantasia in Tokyo on June 13th. That'd be amazing.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 2:49 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
I'm jealous! lol!

Of MetalGuy71's experiences, I'm sure......

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 2:51 pm

Oh man, seeing Avantasia IN Japan where they're nuts for Powermetal is a must. Go!!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 2:52 pm

kmorg wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Speaking from experience, I'm sure!

Uhhhhh, no of course not!! That's what someone told me once, I swear. Or maybe I read it. Yea, that's it. I read it on Wikipedia when I was researching places NOT to visit on summer holiday.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 3:18 pm

kmorg wrote:
Tall Tyrion wrote:
I'm jealous! lol!

Of MetalGuy71's experiences, I'm sure......

That was a poorly-timed post on my part. lol!
Back to top Go down

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 3:27 pm

Smindas wrote:
I was wondering how long it'd tack this topic to degenerate in to rooster jokes. You guys impress me, haha. Cheers for the kind of words.

Eyesore, how could you not have imported Close Calls With Brick Walls? Amazing rock album, I'm telling you ;p Definitely worth the import. Anyway, I'm actually on quite a tight budget so really the less I buy, the better. But if I have a bit left over, I might go see Avantasia in Tokyo on June 13th. That'd be amazing.
I hate buying imports! Haha. You're talking to a guy that hates paying more than $5 an album. =) I keep hoping to find it cheap somewhere around here. It sounds like a great album from what I've heard.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 5:28 pm

that sounds way cool actually . what did i do in my gap year. i went to amsterdam fro three days. that is the only travelling i am doing. i had never been before though so it was not like i had not been before ya know
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 5:49 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Smindas wrote:

I hate buying imports! Haha. You're talking to a guy that hates paying more than $5 an album. =) I keep hoping to find it cheap somewhere around here. It sounds like a great album from what I've heard.
I paid about £7 for my version, thank you eBay (trust me, £7 is more than reasonable a price for a CD over these parts, unfortunately). Anyway, cheers for the kind words, I've just finished packing. Or at least, I hope I have. I have a 70 litre capacity rucksack stuffed to the brim. Oh dear.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 6:25 pm

Cool, have fun. Definately check the avantasia show if you can.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 8:41 pm

Be well, be safe, and enjoy yourself. And, most of all, pick up some cool Japanese issued cs's with OBI strips. Those are sweet!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 2:04 am

Good luck.

I went to Japan when i was 16 as part of a trip involving my Japanese class.

Was great, totally unique and amazing country. Total culture shock.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 2:29 am

Man, I wish I could go to Japan, instead of spending money on a trip to Germany and the Netherlands. BAH!! Smile

Wear a LOUDNESS shirt and see how much respect you get.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 5:56 am

Haha, good idea Evy.

Cheers for the kind words everyone, I'll try and keep in vague contact whilst I'm there. Don't break the forum in my absence.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 9:19 am

Sounds like a blast! Have fun bro.

Right, I'm off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Right, I'm off   Right, I'm off Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Right, I'm off
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: