Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I got one for you Gents

Go down 
+15
mc666
Tall Tyrion
Thrasher73
Stender
the sentinel
James B.
krokus
Wargod
DallasBlack
iamrockerfun
rattpoison
Smindas
White_Mage
MoonChild
ThrashedOutCobra33
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Slash Over Rated?
Yes
I got one for you Gents Vote_lcap38%I got one for you Gents Vote_rcap
 38% [ 12 ]
No
I got one for you Gents Vote_lcap62%I got one for you Gents Vote_rcap
 62% [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 32

AuthorMessage
ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

Number of posts : 586

I got one for you Gents Empty
PostSubject: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 2:10 am

I personally think he is very over rated.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 2:54 am

I feel the same too.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 3:45 am

Slash a sell-out yes.

Overrated i dont think so hes more famous for his excessive lifstyle than his guitar playing if thats wut ur refering to being overrated.

Slash seems to be the rock star poster boy nowadays
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 4:03 am

No, the man can really play.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 7:24 am

No chance. Although i ain't no Slash fan boy either. Never got the whole appeal i gravitate to Izzy more so but that's more to do with were he's coming from than guitar playing.

But he was one of the 5 components that made one of thee greatest rock n' roll records of the 80's. That alone cements his position in the pantheon of rock n' roll greats.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 8:20 am

no absolutely no.
chuck Berry influence ... i like him. i like to watch how he's playin'

SLASH is fine !
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 8:41 am

I love his guitar playing on the albums through UYI 1 and 2. I haven't heard much from him since then but those are enough to last a lifetime. The solos on Estranged have me bustin' out the air guitar every time.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 9:31 am

At one time I thought he was one of the best and he is good. I was listening to the radio one day and a DJ was quoting him and he was saying there are no signature guitar players in todays music and rock in general.

Well it was obviously to me that he was kinda clueless as to what he was talking about. Yes I know his roots lie in rock but the metal community has tons of signature guitar players.

To me that statement kinda turned me of to him still he is a good guitar player but not great!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 9:41 am

He's a good guitarist that accepts bad gigs.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 9:59 am

I dont think he is overated and dont even see him like a fantastic guitar player, just a guy in GNR. Still, i think he is good in what he does or better did because i dont follow his music carrier anymore, since his GNR days.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 11:33 am

It is funny hearing who or what is over-rated, if you are a musician it gives you a different perspective than either a mega-fan or casual one. Regardless of one's opinion on Slash's playing sklls or his dhoice of image, the man wrote one of the most "identifiable" licks of an era... "Sweet Child O' Mine" The intro itself isn't some major technical complicated scale and is actualy quite simple in form and easy to play. It isn't the ability of a player in technique that gives them merit but what he does overall, as well as what he brings to the table. There are zillions of guitar players who can play quite well and have no clue how to play something that is right for a song. The number of notes played in a scale or the speed of them being played isn't really a proper way to rate a guitarist. Playing something that flows with or sets the vibe and feel of a song, more often than not marks some players in greatness. Just my .02

Laterz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 12:00 pm

Not the most technical player but has a great style and is very identifiable. Not overrated.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 1:36 pm

Imho, I don't think he is overrated at all. He is a good guitarist, but not a phenomenally great one. Peace.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 2:36 pm

Overrated? A sellout? How so? The guy is a rock icon, there is no doubt about that. But he's not held up as one of the greatest guitarists ever, so he's clearly not overrated at all. And he's definitely not a sellout.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 2:39 pm

overated, I come across kids that dont even know the bands he plays in but still refer to him as the greatest.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 3:04 pm

Stender wrote:
overated, I come across kids that dont even know the bands he plays in but still refer to him as the greatest.
That's not overrated. That's stupid kids.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 3:25 pm

I dont think he's overrated at all.I love his playing style.Cool guy too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 3:30 pm

No he can thrash. Like a madman.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 5:17 pm

If anything, he's underrated.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 5:42 pm

Eyesore wrote:
But he's not held up as one of the greatest guitarists ever, so he's clearly not overrated at all.
exactly. he's not one of those guys that the media make a huge deal out of.

DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 6:27 pm

Guns N' Roses is overrated. But Slash not so much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 6:33 pm

DeathCult wrote:

Bingo!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 6:47 pm

tohostudios wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

Bingo!

Now come on. Really!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 6:53 pm

GnR is sooooo overrated. Hell, the only album I like by them is Appetite, which admittedly is classic. But after that, they did nothing IMO. They don't even have much of a catalog to judge. Yet people revere this band like they invented rock n roll.

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 6:53 pm

tohostudios wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

Bingo!

Bingo, bingo!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I got one for you Gents   I got one for you Gents Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I got one for you Gents
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next