Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???

Go down 
+5
scottmitchell74
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
romeolimagolf
mc666
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Empty
PostSubject: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 2:06 am

I'm well aware of the many extreme Christian Metal genres. However, I've never hear of any Christian Black Metal bands. Are there any? Is it even possible for their to be Christian Black Metal?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 2:08 am

check out Horde... black metal is but a musical style. the lyrics do not have to be satanic/anti-christian.

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 3:10 am

mc666 wrote:
...black metal is but a musical style. the lyrics do not have to be satanic/anti-christian.
Exactly.
Back to top Go down
romeolimagolf
Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 5:51 am

Since the satanic lyrics of black metal are about the Christian concept of satan and hell, technically it IS christian metal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 7:05 am

Horde is extremely noisy. Try Antestor or Holy Blood.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 7:06 am

I thought the Christian version of it was called "UN-black metal?"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 7:07 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I thought the Christian version of it was called "UN-black metal?"

Yeah, something stupid like that. Whatever. It's just music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 7:50 am

YESSS they're are tons of christian black metal bands. They are making a documentary on it called Light in Darkness:Nemesis done by Stefan Rydehed who did the documentary titled "Pure ****ing Mayhem" a documentary on norweigan black metal. Great examples by the way are FROSTHARDR(correct spelling), ADMONISH, and CRIMSON MOONLIGHT. Sorry maybe a little to much of an answer.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 8:46 am

I don't think you'll hear any Christian black metal band referring to themselves as "Un-black".

Horde were one of the earliest Christian black metal bands. I have a copy of "Hellig Usvart" up for trade if anyone is interested.

ult

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 8:49 am

Quote :

Good advice.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 8:50 am

ultmetal wrote:
I don't think you'll hear any Christian black metal band referring to themselves as "Un-black".

Maybe not the bands themselves but it seems to be a popular description in mail order catalogs/web sites. RadRockers seems to use the term "Holy UnBlack Metal" a lot to describe the genre.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 9:24 am

un-black is the dumbest labeling that I have ever heard, but yeah, check out Horde and Crimson moonlight. Also Vomitorial Corpulence, I dont know if they are still christian but there first was pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 10:51 am

Horde is very good, I've had the mp3s for the longest time now, really need to buy the album.

Crimson Moonlight is great, albeit more in the Dimmu Borgir/Cradle of Filth melodic vein.

Antestor have been mentioned, do good folky type stuff.

Arvinger is decent viking metal (hmmm...christian vikings?)

Holy Blood is decent folky black stuff.

Dark Endless is pretty good but a bit generic.

Poems of Shadows is something you don't hear everyday...Horde worship! It's not bad, but very deriative.

I can understand why elitist black metallers have a problem with christian black metal, seeing as in the 80s black metal meant pretty much any metal with evil/satanic lyrics (Slayer, Venom, Mercyful Fate...heck, even Witchfynde) then developed to mean more fast/thrashy/raw evil stuff, and then the genre developed from there. But to be honest, life's too short to be nitpicky. I just listen to whatever sounds good regardless of the lyrical approach.
Back to top Go down
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 10:52 am

Stender wrote:
Vomitorial Corpulence, I dont know if they are still christian but there first was pretty good.

They are christian, but are certainly not black metal. They're very typical goregrind, they don't sound anything like black metal. They're very good fun though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 10:53 am

Muloc7253 wrote:
(hmmm...christian vikings?)

Yep.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/vikings/religion_01.shtml
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 11:42 am

spectrefate wrote:
i prefer the raw primal traditional stuff to the folk themed bands.

mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 11:44 am

Stender wrote:
un-black is the dumbest labeling that I have ever heard
yeah, almost as bad as when they used to refer to christian death metal as "life metal". Laughing

TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 1:07 pm

mc666 wrote:
Stender wrote:
yeah, almost as bad as when they used to refer to christian death metal as "life metal". Laughing
Yeah, I totally agree. I've even heard Christian Doom-Metal referred to as "Hope-Metal"...PUH-LEEEEZ!!! Rolling Eyes

"Don't even say the word "doom" or you will be doomed! - Oh no! I just said it!!!" Shocked

Oh, and back on topic:

I'm not a big fan of the genre, but one Christian black metal band I enjoy is FROST LIKE ASHES - quite brutal.
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 1:57 pm

Either way, Christian, Satanic, whatever...it's black metal. It probably sucks.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 3:22 pm

"Holy Doom" batman! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Stender wrote:
Yeah, I totally agree. I've even heard Christian Doom-Metal referred to as "Hope-Metal"...PUH-LEEEEZ!!! Rolling Eyes

"Don't even say the word "doom" or you will be doomed! - Oh no! I just said it!!!" Shocked

Oh, and back on topic:

I'm not a big fan of the genre, but one Christian black metal band I enjoy is FROST LIKE ASHES - quite brutal.

I haven't heard their full length, but I have the EP and it was very unfocused and confused. Their image suggested black metal, quite obviously, but they didn't really stick to one style. Two songs were death metal, one had almost a southern sounding rock riff. Not bad, just very unfocused. The vocalist had a pretty weak black metal hiss which didn't really go with the rest of the music, I much preferred the back vocalist that did more death metal growls, which worked better.

Still, I'm interested in the full length anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???   Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is there such a thing as Christian Black Metal???
Page 1 of 1