Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music

Go down 
+8
rattpoison
Tall Tyrion
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Shiney
exact33
DeathCult
Mglaffas81
Smindas
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Empty
PostSubject: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 5:12 am

So I've been finding it kind of hard to write lately when music is playing. Obviously in the past when I wrote reviews I'd have the album I'm reviewing playing, so it went right along with it. But now that I'm trying to craft stories, a lot of my music is distracting me. I keep rockin' out like a retard with A.D.D.—playing air drums and guitar, and dumb crap like that.

So what I did is rip all my Dead Can Dance albums, plus Lisa Gerrard and Brendan Perry's work, to my PC. That helped big time. It's relaxing, focuses my writing. So I've since added Epica's Score album, Nightwish's instrumental score pieces, plus the orchestral version of Dark Passion Play, which is heavy but seems to have to have that epic quality that fits in with what I'm writing (right now, fantasy). I wish there was an instrumental version of "Planet Hell."

What else can I add, though? I've got a few others I'm going to rip, but anyone got any recommendations? I'd be looking for instrumental stuff, or songs mellow enough that vocals don't distract. It seems like the vocal is the ingredient that makes a heavy song distracting.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 7:30 am

I used to write my essays to Erotic Cakes by Guthrie Govan, it worked well. Generally, any instrumental jazz fusion seemed to work. Also for that kind of thing, I'd listen to some classical - get some Vivaldi on and what not, but I'm not sure if that's your thing.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 8:04 am

You should really try In Flames' "Mand Made God" - Very good intrumental, and it's perfect for writing to - I have been using it for years now.

- Another great one to add, is Joe Satriani's work - Great writing music.

"Orion" is perfect as well
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 11:20 am

Pink Floyd
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 11:27 am

Twin Peaks Soundtrack by Angelo Badlamenti (or whatever)

Awesome ambient music.

Also there is a band called Amber Asylum which does some real awesome ambient stuff as well.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 11:29 am

I loved that show, had no idea they ever made a soundtrack for it though
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 11:37 am

Try Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow. It's all instrumental jazz fusion.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 12:03 pm

I would recommend albums by hidria spacefolk and quantum fantay. soundtrack wise I love listneing to the LOTR and Indiana Jones soundtracks while working - they are entertaining by not distracting...

Alex

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 4:14 pm

exact33 wrote:
I would recommend albums by hidria spacefolk and quantum fantay. soundtrack wise I love listneing to the LOTR and Indiana Jones soundtracks while working - they are entertaining by not distracting...

Alex
I'll check out the LOTR and Indiana Jones soundtracks. They seem more like what I'm looking for.

I'm not looking for just instrumental music, jazz fusion or whatever. I have tons of that stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiVLeVUCDlw

Listen this song before the vocals kick in. This is something more like what I'm looking for. The beginning of this song has always evoked an image of two massive armies marching then running toward each other, scenes cutting in and out with the orchestration, then right before the guitars kick in, everything slows as the two armies are inches away. Then it's just all out ass-kicking. Haha. Kind of ridiculous, but for whatever reason that is what plays in my head when I hear this song—some trailer for an epic medieval war movie or something. Haha.

Also, straight up piano music without vocals would be interesting.

Last edited by Eyesore on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 4:17 pm

Video doesn't work unfortunately. If you're looking for s traight up piano music, check out some Ludovico Einaudi. Le Onde consists of greatly constructed piano tunes that you can chill out and write to easily.

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 4:47 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I'd be looking for instrumental stuff.

Check out the two albums by Lanvall of Edenbridge, they might be good for you,
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
DeathCult

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 5:15 pm

The Blade Runner soundtrack is also excellent.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 6:48 pm

GOBLIN...gett any o their primo 80's horror movie soundtrack work...excellent...

Also...I recommend PAPER CHASE and THE CURE....When I write I play those 2 bands...

I can't write and listen to loud rockin' stuff, it must be somewhat subdued and creepy to work for me.

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 7:02 pm

What are you writing, Mr. Shiney?
Back to top Go down
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 11:10 pm

Hmmm.....I would perhaps reccomend Summoning. Good dark ambient mixed with black metal elements, without any of that nerve-racking machine gun drums. All of their percussion is orchestral synthezier work.

Plus, all their tunes are about LOTR. How cool is that? Smile
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 11:14 pm

Pink Floyd
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 11:51 pm

I find the smooth relaxed tones of the Birthday Party to be great music for inducing words from my thick cranium.

Heres a sample
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duZHUVje0TM
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 11:55 pm

Eyesore wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Alex
I'll check out the LOTR and Indiana Jones soundtracks. They seem more like what I'm looking for.

I'm not looking for just instrumental music, jazz fusion or whatever. I have tons of that stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiVLeVUCDlw

Listen this song before the vocals kick in. This is something more like what I'm looking for. The beginning of this song has always evoked an image of two massive armies marching then running toward each other, scenes cutting in and out with the orchestration, then right before the guitars kick in, everything slows as the two armies are inches away. Then it's just all out ass-kicking. Haha. Kind of ridiculous, but for whatever reason that is what plays in my head when I hear this song—some trailer for an epic medieval war movie or something. Haha.

Also, straight up piano music without vocals would be interesting.

- Piano music? - I would suggest Brian Crain - http://www.briancrain.com/newpages/summer.html

You can listen to samples on that page - Great stuff

Here's a full video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLTyVjNjqSc
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 12:23 am

That's good stuff Mglalfsfffsalsla81. I don't know why I dig the piano. I don't own any instrumental piano albums, just chicks and pianos like Tori Amos. I should start buying some, though.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 3:53 am

*cough* http://www.myspace.com/ludovicoeinaudi

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 4:01 pm

I'm am working on some pieces for a spoken word project with friends...

And I have been "noting" for some story work....all darkly surreal and unusual....

Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 6:00 pm

1972-1979 TANGERINE DREAM catalogue

BRIAN ENO's ambient works
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 7:09 pm

I dont know if you play videogames that much, but the soundtrack to "Chrono Cross" is the ticket for me when I'm trying to write. Maybe you should post some of your stuff Eyesore? I would like to read it sometime.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 2:19 am

Check out some The Black Mages stuff. They play all the soundtrack music for the Final Fantasy games, very relaxing with some metal entwined in there.
Back to top Go down
romeolimagolf
Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 5:54 am

Angels of Venice
Medieval Babes
Joe Satriani
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music   Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking For Some Writing Soundtrack Music
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next