Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things

Go down 
+9
Smindas
Metal Misfit
Temple of Blood
candlemass
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
Rex
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Chairman_Smith
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Empty
PostSubject: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 10:06 am

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=92297

The two audio links, not the video. The video seemed a bit cocky too tho.

Is it me, or does he just get to be a bigger dick in every interview?

I use to admire him alot, but not anymore.
Back to top Go down
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 10:21 am

No shock here. Mustaine's been doing this for over twenty years. Hell, it's part of the reason they kicked him out of Metallica.

You'd think that becoming a born-again Christian would at least mellow him out a little, but not Dave. X)
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 10:24 am

Angelcake Adonisus Fox wrote:
No shock here. Mustaine's been doing this for over twenty years. Hell, it's part of the reason they kicked him out of Metallica.

You'd think that becoming a born-again Christian would at least mellow him out a little, but not Dave. X)

It only surprises me since Heaven and Hell invited him as a guest, and now that the tour is done, he turns around and just rags on them?

Theres no reason to talk crap about Black Sabbath, they never did anything to him.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 10:38 am

Link doesn't work for me.
And how do you know for a fact that Sabbath never did anything to him? I doubt they did either, but you, nor I, know that for a fact.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 10:56 am

Eh, I dunno. Pretty much sounds like Dave being Dave if you ask me. He's always been outspoken and opinionated. With the Black Sabbath thing, it's just more like he's commenting on the fact that legally the band couldn't use the name Black Sabbath, which is sort of absurd when you think about it.

I thought the stuff in part 2 about Marty Friedman in a kimono & paper umbrella was pretty funny.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 10:57 am

He wasn't dissing Black Sabbath. He did call them "a Black Sabbath cover band", but he was referring to the fact that they had to call themselves Heaven & Hell instead of Sabbath due to legal reasons and even added "I loved it...it was not a diss". He said he was never a huge fan of Sabbath and preferred more riff oriented music like Maiden, Motorhead, Judas Priest, UFO, Diamond Head, Mercyful Fate, etc. He also mentioned that Marty Friedman was the big Black Sabbath fan in the band in the past.

The dog comment was Dave explaining one of the reasons he was kicked out of Metallica. Frankly, I am sure he is tired of answering the question about Metallica since he's been asking it a billion times over the past 20 years. He also mentioned that the whole feud was "stupid".

He was dissing Marty. Said something about "wearing a komono and playing Japanese pop music" and "looking at that picture I can't believe he was ever in Megadeth."

I guess I just don't hear the whole thing as being "cocky". He's just answering the questions and being Dave.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 11:07 am

More riff orientated, how can anything be more riff orientated than Black Sabbath featuring the "Riff Master General?!" 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 11:10 am

candlemass wrote:
More riff orientated, how can anything be more riff orientated than Black Sabbath featuring the "Riff Master General?!" 🤘

He spoke of Iommi's "jazz style" chords, as opposed to the "more riff oriented bands" like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. He was obviously making a contrast between the style of guitar playing and songwriting.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 11:40 am

MOTORHEAD is more riff-oriented than BLACK SABBATH?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 11:50 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
MOTORHEAD is more riff-oriented than BLACK SABBATH?

Refer to my post to Candlemass. He was speaking of "style".

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 11:52 am

I still don't buy it Ult, most folks credit Sabbath w/inventing the metal riff, Tony always said they were a riff based band. Sure, you can hear some blues and jazz bleeding through, but it all revolved around the riff. I think what Dave means is he prefers more "metallic" sounding bands, Tony still mantains Sabbath was, is hard rock.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 11:57 am

I disagree as well.

Style is exactly what I am talking about.

I may have misunderstood the larger point though because I can't get the video to play here.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 12:01 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I disagree as well.

Style is exactly what I am talking about.

I may have misunderstood the larger point though because I can't get the video to play here.

It's not the video. It's the audio links under the video, (Parts 1 & 2) where he discusses why he was never a big fan of Black Sabbath. He said something like, "Sabbath will have this really cool riff, then once they get into it, Tony will change into the jazz part..." I'm not saying I agree with Dave, I was just pointing out that he wasn't trying to disrespect them as the original point made reference to.

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 12:42 pm

Dave always comes across as arrogant, even if he's just ordering take-out. I think it's who he is. I didn't take this as dissing BS but as was said, the Friedman stuff was funny.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 12:46 pm

ultmetal wrote:
He wasn't dissing Black Sabbath. He did call them "a Black Sabbath cover band", but he was referring to the fact that they had to call themselves Heaven & Hell instead of Sabbath due to legal reasons and even added "I loved it...it was not a diss". He said he was never a huge fan of Sabbath and preferred more riff oriented music like Maiden, Motorhead, Judas Priest, UFO, Diamond Head, Mercyful Fate, etc. He also mentioned that Marty Friedman was the big Black Sabbath fan in the band in the past.

The dog comment was Dave explaining one of the reasons he was kicked out of Metallica. Frankly, I am sure he is tired of answering the question about Metallica since he's been asking it a billion times over the past 20 years. He also mentioned that the whole feud was "stupid".

He was dissing Marty. Said something about "wearing a komono and playing Japanese pop music" and "looking at that picture I can't believe he was ever in Megadeth."

I guess I just don't hear the whole thing as being "cocky". He's just answering the questions and being Dave.
Adult KO1 Kid. lol!
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 1:28 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Yup, what he said. He explained that he called them a "Black Sabbath cover band" because their actual band name had escaped him momentarily.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 1:33 pm

Dave tends to make quite a lot of snide remarks about Marty. I love Megadeth and I think Dave is a great guitarist, but he can be quite the dick. Still, his arrogant antics are usually quite amusing.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 3:00 pm

The way I've understood it, there is no legal reason for not using the name Black Sabbath, Tony has owned the rights to that name for years, he just didn't want to ruffle feathers this time.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 3:07 pm

candlemass wrote:
The way I've understood it, there is no legal reason for not using the name Black Sabbath, Tony has owned the rights to that name for years, he just didn't want to ruffle feathers this time.

If by "ruffle feathers", you mean he didn't want to deal with that c-word Sharon and the inevitable lawsuit that would have ensued if they toured as Black Sabbath, then you'd be correct.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 3:16 pm

The way I understood it, Tony was in debt and sold the name to Sharon and this led the way to the original reunion.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 4:30 pm

Ya see now, I've heard conflicting stories about this, par for the course w/Sabbath, is there any reliable source on the net showing that Tony sold the rights to the name?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 4:43 pm

I read it years ago man, I can't remember where. I'm just tellin ya what I heard, it could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 5:25 pm

At times, he can be the biggest dick since Lexington Steele.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 6:23 pm

ultmetal wrote:

More riff oriented music? I thought Iommi was the ultimate riff master!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 1:20 am

All this rubbish whether Iommi can or cannot use the name is redundant, they called themselves Heaven & Hell because it was fresh and new and also to avoid confusion with the 'real' Black Sabbath (They're would have been quite a few people turning up to their concerts expecting to see Ozzy which would have caused problems). It felt like a new band rather than some nostalgia act.

And really Iommi should have stopped using the bands name when Dio joined. It's almost righting a past wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things   Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dave Mustaine disses on Black Sabbath (and many other things
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next