Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Late 80s Anvil

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Late 80s Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Late 80s Anvil   Late 80s Anvil Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 6:58 pm

"Strength of Steel" (1987) and "Pound for Pound" (1988) are two Anvil albums I never, ever see mentioned. Here or elsewhere. What gives? I think these are two of Anvil's best and obviously more underrated albums.

Songs like Cut Loose, Paper General, Straight Between the Eyes, Mad Dog, Toe Jam, Safe Sex, Brain Burn and Blood on the Ice are not only some of Anvil's best but some of the best metal songs this wonderful decade had to offer.

So, any fans of these two albums? Anyone think they're sh_t and that's why they're never discussed?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Late 80s Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late 80s Anvil   Late 80s Anvil Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 9:33 pm

Both great CDs. I like ALL of Anvil's catalog. You'll find them all on NLTM.

Waiting on their new album to come from Germany.

ult

Late 80s Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late 80s Anvil   Late 80s Anvil Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 7:00 am

ultmetal wrote:
Both great CDs. I like ALL of Anvil's catalog. You'll find them all on NLTM.

Waiting on their new album to come from Germany.

ult

ha, my brutha. i bet you that you got it from the "pope". i loved 2 tracks from it. the one is almost identical to cut loose. i got it from robbo with 2 other shirts to fullfil my anvil wardrobe. he was asking for money order etc etc but i guess that when he saw some hot cash in the envelope he didn't have a problem.

pound for pound is great. strength of steel is my less favorite from anvil but it has cut loose. but their greater one came later. it worthed its weight,hehehe.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Late 80s Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late 80s Anvil   Late 80s Anvil Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 7:11 am

I like both "Strength of Steel" and "Pound For Pound," have'em both on vinyl. They're hard to come by on CD so I havent' upgraded'em yet.

"Mad Dog" off of Strength of Steel was one hella funny video too.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Late 80s Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late 80s Anvil   Late 80s Anvil Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 8:13 am

I WANT these two on vinyl. I have them on CD. Keeping my eyes open for the vinyl.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Late 80s Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late 80s Anvil   Late 80s Anvil Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 8:25 am

ultmetal wrote:
I WANT these two on vinyl.

You can't have mine. Laughing

Here's the aforementioned "Mad Dog" video... cute chick in this one and the "Three Stooges" style action always makes me laugh

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Late 80s Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late 80s Anvil   Late 80s Anvil Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 8:52 am

Yes, i like those two album by ANVIL and have them on vinyls too.
Back to top Go down

Late 80s Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late 80s Anvil   Late 80s Anvil Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2008 9:59 pm

Anvil rulz so much Lips is the man! 🤘 I can't find anything they've done...I'm not 18 years old so I can't buy on Ebay and with my parents it's mission impossible! My parent tried with the guy from Jello (Cd shop where I live) and he tought I was 30 years old for asking for things like that LOL! The only thing he found was a German edition of Ace Frehley but no Anvil...I was a little bit disapointed...Anvil is a canadian band and it's difficult to find their albums...

EDIT: My new pic is talking for me.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

Late 80s Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late 80s Anvil   Late 80s Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 1:32 pm

Both of those Anvil albums are great. Those two albums are quite underrated and under appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Late 80s Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late 80s Anvil   Late 80s Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 1:48 pm

nevermore wrote:
Both of those Anvil albums are great. Those two albums are quite underrated and under appreciated.

Anvil's entire career has been underrated and underappreciated!!!

Back to top Go down

Late 80s Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late 80s Anvil   Late 80s Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 5:03 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
nevermore wrote:

Anvil's entire career has been underrated and underappreciated!!!

Anvil is great that's why they are underrated...People prefer listening to smurf poo than real music.
Back to top Go down

Late 80s Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late 80s Anvil   Late 80s Anvil Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 7:49 pm

I loved 80's-era ANVIL. For some reason, I lost interest when Dave Allison left the band. I think part of the reason was that there was a 3-year interval between studio releases, too, 1988-1991, and maybe they just got lost in the shuffle at the turn of the 90's. I regret never seeing them live back then. I had all the Allison-era albums on vinyl and even had H'N'H and MOM on picture disc, too, as well as a 12" of "Make It All Up To You," which is a fantastic song! I had 2 copies of "Backwaxed," which was their only album to not feature the classic ANVIL "consonant-vowel-same consonant"/"vowel-consonant-same vowel" title...lol

"Pound For Pound" and "Strength Of Steel" were very underrated. "Blood On The Ice" ruled! Nothing touches the 1981-83 material for me, but late 80's ANVIL were just as good. The only thing post-80's that I ever heard was "Worth The Weight." It didn't really captivate me as much as their previous material did, though.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Late 80s Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late 80s Anvil   Late 80s Anvil Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 10:05 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
I WANT these two on vinyl.

You can't have mine. Laughing

Here's the aforementioned "Mad Dog" video... cute chick in this one and the "Three Stooges" style action always makes me laugh

Love the video and the song! 🤘

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Late 80s Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late 80s Anvil   Late 80s Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 9:25 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I like both "Strength of Steel" and "Pound For Pound," have'em both on vinyl. They're hard to come by on CD so I havent' upgraded'em yet.

"Mad Dog" off of Strength of Steel was one hella funny video too.

Have them on vinyl too.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Late 80s Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late 80s Anvil   Late 80s Anvil Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2008 12:03 pm

Anvil are one of those band's I am a completist on. I have most of their albums on CD and vinyl. I'm waiting on a copy of "Strength of Steel" on vinyl.

Still looking for Pound for Pound and Backwaxed on vinyl. Have them both on CD.

Of the newer Anvil albums, I have Speed of Sound on vinyl and CD. I don't think the others were ever released on CD.

Also waiting on a CD copy of "This is Thirteen" to come in the mail.

ult

Late 80s Anvil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Late 80s Anvil   Late 80s Anvil Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Late 80s Anvil
Page 1 of 1