Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any Bal-Sagoth fans?

Go down 
+2
scottmitchell74
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

Any Bal-Sagoth fans? Empty
PostSubject: Any Bal-Sagoth fans?   Any Bal-Sagoth fans? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 9:47 pm

As some of you have read in the past, I have a thing for bands who have their own personal mythologies around their material. Judas Priest have their "metal messiahs", Rhapsody(Of Fire) have their saga of The Dream Lands, and Coheed and Cambra have Th Amory Wars.

I also love metal bands who can do story songs effectively. It's one of the reasons I love vintage Celtic Frost.

Bal-Sagoth do both, and VERY WELL at that.

Bal-Sagoth musically can be described as Symphonic Black Metal. They combine the bombastic orchestration of Symphonic Power Metal, and the blast beats and chainsaw guitars of Black Metal.

What REALLY makes these guys stand out is their songs.

Bal-Sagoth's songs, written by vocalist Byron Roberts, are made up of various song cycles that take place in a kind of distant, mythical past. This little mythology has been called "The Multiverse", "The Sagothverse", and "The Antediluvian World", amongst other labels. Like Tom Warrior and Celtic Frost before him, Roberts is heavily influenced by such dark fantasy writers like Robert E. Howard and H.P. Lovecraft. These various song cycles have titles such as The Obsidian Crown Saga ,The Quest of Zurra for the Empyreal Lexicon, and The Guardians of the Astral Gate, the latter of which has installments on almost every album in their catalouge, and the second of which is their only album-length song cycle.

These guys aren't all serious and do have an obvious sense of humor, as Roberts gets a kick out of giving his metal tales exceptionally long titles. Their second full-length album was called (I sh*t you not) "Starfire Burning Upon the Ice-Veiled Throne of Ultima Thule".

Now, I love these guys passionately, but they ARE a bit of an acquired taste. Byron Roberts has a unique way of conveying his metallic tales. He either does a deep, spoken-word narrative voice (think Xerxes from 300), or a raspy black metal vocal (think Abbath Doom Occulta from Immortal).

So, am I the sole fan, or are there others?
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Any Bal-Sagoth fans?   Any Bal-Sagoth fans? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 9:47 pm

I would like to be, but only so much $$$$
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Any Bal-Sagoth fans?   Any Bal-Sagoth fans? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 2:01 am

Sounds like I soup I might get at a French restaurant
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Any Bal-Sagoth fans?   Any Bal-Sagoth fans? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 3:41 am

try here...
http://www.heartofmetal.net/heart-of-metal-f1/bal-sagoth-t2108.htm?highlight=sagoth
or here...
http://www.heartofmetal.net/heart-of-metal-f1/bal-sagoth-t1716.htm?highlight=sagoth

Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Any Bal-Sagoth fans?   Any Bal-Sagoth fans? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 9:19 am

Yeah awesome band. They have the best frontman I have ever seen in any band. They played the 2nd installment of Heathen Crusade in Minneapolis almost 2 years ago. Killer guys and awesome music!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Any Bal-Sagoth fans?   Any Bal-Sagoth fans? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 3:40 pm

Never taken a chance on checking out this band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any Bal-Sagoth fans?   Any Bal-Sagoth fans? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 3:42 pm

nevermore wrote:
Never taken a chance on checking out this band.

Why? I know, because yer yella!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Bal-Sagoth fans?   Any Bal-Sagoth fans? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any Bal-Sagoth fans?
Page 1 of 1