Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pillar

Go down 
+6
ultmetal
AchrisK
SAHB Healer
Required Fields
mr.electric39
MetalGuy71
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2007 3:58 pm

Anyone familiar with the Christian rock band Pillar? They are playing a free concert following the local minor league hockey team's game later this month. I'm wondering if they are worth sticking around for. From what I've heard online, I'm not overly impressed.

Anyone?
Back to top Go down

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2007 4:42 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Anyone familiar with the Christian rock band Pillar? They are playing a free concert following the local minor league hockey team's game later this month. I'm wondering if they are worth sticking around for. From what I've heard online, I'm not overly impressed.

Anyone?
I'm a fan. Their debut, Above, is a good joke, however. Totally lame, psuedo-wigger nonsense with Christian lyrics like, "He heals the sick / He saves the lost / And died for you / In case you forgot, man / He'll jump a building in a single bound / I once was lost but now I'm found" (from "Original Superman"). To their credit, though, they were a very young band when the debut was recorded, and it really shows. The album is laughable and goofy and uncomfortable. Haha. There are a few good tracks, though.

Their follow-up, Fireproof, was outstanding, though. Their third album was also called Fireproof, and featured re-recorded songs from the first Fireproof album. They've since released two more studio albums and one EP. Basically, they're an alternative rock band with some rap-rock influence. They're really catchy, though. And I'm not a Christian, so I'm not just saying this because they're a Christian band.

Check these out (if you like it, stick around and check them out):

EVERYTHING
FIREPROOF (Fan-made)
FRONTLINE

And for comparison, a video from their debut (one of the decent songs):

OPEN YOUR EYES
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2007 8:05 pm

My oldest son 15 loves 'em. But I saw 'em a year or so ago and they weren't that good. To each his own eh?... If it's free check out a couple tunes.. Their discs were ok.Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2007 8:09 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Anyone?
I'm a fan. Their debut, Above, is a good joke, however. Totally lame, psuedo-wigger nonsense with Christian lyrics like, "He heals the sick / He saves the lost / And died for you / In case you forgot, man / He'll jump a building in a single bound / I once was lost but now I'm found" (from "Original Superman"). To their credit, though, they were a very young band when the debut was recorded, and it really shows. The album is laughable and goofy and uncomfortable. Haha. There are a few good tracks, though.

Their follow-up, Fireproof, was outstanding, though. Their third album was also called Fireproof, and featured re-recorded songs from the first Fireproof album. They've since released two more studio albums and one EP. Basically, they're an alternative rock band with some rap-rock influence. They're really catchy, though. And I'm not a Christian, so I'm not just saying this because they're a Christian band.

Check these out (if you like it, stick around and check them out):

EVERYTHING
FIREPROOF (Fan-made)
FRONTLINE

And for comparison, a video from their debut (one of the decent songs):

OPEN YOUR EYES

I'm not a fan, although one of my co-workers is. He considers them a band he likes that he shouldn't (they're a Christian band, and he's an atheist), and calls them one of the few modern bands he likes.

But I don't like what little I heard from them (he showed them to me one day at work).
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2007 8:14 pm

Thanks, I saw a CD of Pillar's in the local Bible shop, and I was curious too. It doesn't sound like they are great, but for free, heck yeah. I saw a free concert by a Christian band called "Dumpstar" from Chicago, and it turned out to be pretty good, I even bought their CD.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2007 8:51 pm

My wife is a pretty big fan. My son was too, but he has moved on. I think their first three albums got progressively better, and their third ("Where do we go from here") is actually pretty good, and pretty much drops the rap stuff. They have another one out, but I haven't heard it. I have seen them a few times live, and they are ok.

ack
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2007 8:52 pm

Not my thing at all.

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2007 10:41 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Not my thing at all.
Nope. Wouldn't imagine so. lol!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 12:15 am

judging by what was posted here today... i'll pass.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 9:56 am

Thanks for all the input.

Judging from the material I heard, it's doubtful that I'll sit through an entire hockey game to watch them perform for 30 minutes. But you never know. Live music always appeals to me
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4602

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 10:10 am

I second what ult said, but in southern: "It ain't muh thang"

Administrator
ultmetal

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 10:51 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Anyone?

I'd go for the hockey game and blow off the concert. 🤘
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 11:26 am

ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Anyone?

I'll probably end up skipping both. The way the team's been playing lately, I'd rather enjoy a Friday night out with my wife. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 11:39 am

Oh man, we love a good hockey game, both me and my wife. Winning is great, but we just love the game. Nothing like a little blood on the ice! Going to a game tonight actually. New Mexico Scorpions vs. Arizon Sundogs!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 11:54 am

ultmetal wrote:
Oh man, we love a good hockey game, both me and my wife. Winning is great, but we just love the game. Nothing like a little blood on the ice! Going to a game tonight actually. New Mexico Scorpions vs. Arizon Sundogs!

I think the only way I could get my wife to a hockey game was if the giveaway item was a Prada or Gucci handbag.
lol!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 12:05 pm

LOL! Well, my wife is a hockey fanatic as well. We both go wearing our hockey jerseys ready to support our team. As a matter of fact, we have seasons tickets. Even grandmom has season tickets and is never seen at a game without her Scorpions jersey! We all love it. It's cool that the whole family enjoys it.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 305

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 12:16 pm

ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Anyone?

Ult, little harsh don't ya think? scratch They aren't the greatest band in the world, but they're not that bad either (and WELL WORTH a FREE concert... EVEN if it's not your favorite style of music). I've seen them several times at the Creation Festival, and I would say they are MUCH BETTER (have a little more edge) LIVE than they do on their discs. Cool
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 12:23 pm

Harsh? Naaaa. I just love hockey. Very Happy

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 12:27 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Harsh? Naaaa. I just love hockey. Very Happy

That's fine... but you could've AT LEAST showed the Pillar boys a LITTLE love by saying they were worth seeing for FREE... come on now. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 602

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 3:01 pm

I can tolerate some of Pillar's stuff, but judging from some of the posts, maybe it's a good thing I haven't heard their debut.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Waylon
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 3:06 pm

Sword Of The Heretic wrote:
I can tolerate some of Pillar's stuff, but judging from some of the posts, maybe it's a good thing I haven't heard their debut.

:lol!:

YEP!! You would be SMART to avoid their first disc... everything after that is not that bad (actually some of it even ROCKS!).

Waylon
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 602

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 3:16 pm

Point well taken. I got Fireproof in a trade with Fishingd, and I bought The Reckoning last month.
Back to top Go down

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 3:40 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Anyone?

Agree with you on the first album. Just a note, the 2nd album was Fireproof, the EP after it was called Fireproof and featured re-mixed songs and a few new songs. The third full-length album was Where Do We Go From Here. They released an album last year called Reckoning. They are basically a band that follows every trend with modern hard rock.

This is a band I was following since before the first album came out. Reckoning really didn't impress me at all, so I've lost some interest in this band.
Back to top Go down

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 7:49 pm

Parksey wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Anyone?

Agree with you on the first album. Just a note, the 2nd album was Fireproof, the EP after it was called Fireproof and featured re-mixed songs and a few new songs. The third full-length album was Where Do We Go From Here. They released an album last year called Reckoning. They are basically a band that follows every trend with modern hard rock.

This is a band I was following since before the first album came out. Reckoning really didn't impress me at all, so I've lost some interest in this band.
There is no EP called Fireproof. Their third full-length is also called Fireproof, it has all the same songs as their second album, just in a differen order and they're re-recorded; and "Further" was renamed to "Further From Myself," and there's a bonus track, a radio mix of "Fireproof." They do have another EP, which I forgot about, it's called Broken Down.

And I don't think they follow trends. Aside from the abandoning the overt wiggerisms that were on the debut, they really haven't changed at all.
Back to top Go down

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2007 8:36 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Parksey wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Anyone?

There is no EP called Fireproof. Their third full-length is also called Fireproof, it has all the same songs as their second album, just in a differen order and they're re-recorded; and "Further" was renamed to "Further From Myself," and there's a bonus track, a radio mix of "Fireproof." They do have another EP, which I forgot about, it's called Broken Down.

And I don't think they follow trends. Aside from the abandoning the overt wiggerisms that were on the debut, they really haven't changed at all.
Shoot, I was thinking of the Broken Down ep. They really have changed though, they started out rap-rock then went to the MTV hard rock style.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pillar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pillar   Pillar Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pillar
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: