Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?

Go down 
+6
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
Muloc7253
outofstep
mc666
stormspell
10 posters
AuthorMessage

How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Empty
PostSubject: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 12:54 pm

I like later Sodom but listening to this first album during lunch, and don't know how long I will make it. What is the general thought on these first two albums?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 12:56 pm

I like those first 2 albums. That's when Sodom were their most intense, however sloppy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 12:59 pm

Up to the third song and it isn't horrible I do prefer clean vocals but that doesn't come standard on a Sodom album. Enjoying this more than the one track I downloaded a few years ago which was completely unlistenable. Maybe a bad rip?
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 1:03 pm

I like it, but if it is your first introduction to it in 2008 I can see why you cannot stand it. It was a magical album for me in 1986 and still is, not that I play it often. Can't care less for Sodom after Agent Orange.

Expurse of Sodomy EP was their one and only great peak they never managed to match.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 1:07 pm

i like all they've done but early Sodom is my favorite. In The Sign Of Evil & Obsessed By Cruelty come across as their most urgent material.

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 1:09 pm

The first couple Sodom are perfect companions with Kreator's Endless Pain and Pleasure To Kill albums. Pure German thrash.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 1:17 pm

Like I said my original thoughts about the album were based on one track downloaded a couple years ago. This isn't bad.......not my favorite, but definatly for fast driving. That being said the lyrics aren't my thing sick
Back to top Go down
outofstep
Metal novice
Metal novice
outofstep

Number of posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 1:35 pm

The old sodom is classic! I never really cared for a whole lot they did after that, but for some reason I seem to be in the minority in thinking that "tapping the vein" is actually a really good album. I'd still rather listen to the old stuff though.
Back to top Go down
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 1:45 pm

In the Sign of Evil is probably my favourite Sodom - simply, straight-forward yet crudely catchy and hellishly evil.

Don't get me wrong, I love everything they've done, but that first EP and Obsessed by Cruelty are my favourites.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 1:49 pm

I finished it........certainly did better than I thought i would do :p To me Whitchhammer's timing sounds wierd to me. Almost black metalish, where the drums and guitar almost do not match up at all. All in all I thought it was ok, but prefer the later albums and this will keep its spot on the iPod.
Back to top Go down
Muloc7253
Metal student
Metal student
Muloc7253

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 2:02 pm

awillis50 wrote:
I finished it........certainly did better than I thought i would do :p To me Whitchhammer's timing sounds wierd to me. Almost black metalish, where the drums and guitar almost do not match up at all. All in all I thought it was ok, but prefer the later albums and this will keep its spot on the iPod.

I'd consider it a black metal album, afterall, it sounds as though their intent was to sound as wickedly evil as possible, which also explains how all instruments sound as though they're racing as apose to matching up with each other.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37646

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 2:21 pm

Not a big Sodom fan myself, but I recently heard their newest, THE FINAL SIGN OF EVIL, which is a re-recorded version of the tracks from IN THE SIGN OF EVIL with a bunch of other "bonus tracks" written during that period that were never recorded. I hadn't heard the original songs in years but the new versions didn't sound all that different to me. I guess they wanted to keep the overall sound as faithful to the old vesion as possible.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 2:36 pm

How much can I stand? All of it. I love the rawness.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 3:07 pm

stormspell wrote:
I like it, but if it is your first introduction to it in 2008 I can see why you cannot stand it. It was a magical album for me in 1986 and still is, not that I play it often...

I was going to say something similar. I think if you were there during those days, some of those noisy, poorly recorded thrash albums from bands like Sodom and Kreator, or even Megadeth's Killing is My Business, etc. have a nostalgic value that cannot be understood by someone who wasn't there at that time.

ult

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 4:30 pm

Sacrifice wrote:

Me to. Primitive metal. Their early demos were cool too. I always compare those early recordings with the TORMENTOR demos(pre-KREATOR). Raw, violent early black/thrash metal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 4:40 pm

ultmetal wrote:
stormspell wrote:
I like it, but if it is your first introduction to it in 2008 I can see why you cannot stand it. It was a magical album for me in 1986 and still is, not that I play it often...

I was going to say something similar. I think if you were there during those days, some of those noisy, poorly recorded thrash albums from bands like Sodom and Kreator, or even Megadeth's Killing is My Business, etc. have a nostalgic value that cannot be understood by someone who wasn't there at that time.

ult

See bands like Iced Earth and even Metallica have ruined the whole Thrashy rawness thing for me. However I guess Kill em All and a bit of that raw edge to it.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 8:08 pm

I like it alright. True, the band was a bit sloppy, but it WAS energetic and I think you can feel that in the music. I enjoy later Sodom a great deal more, but I pull that and Obsessed By Cruelty out every now and again.

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 11:58 pm

I think it's great myself. Raw intense evil German thrash metal!! 🤘
Like someone else said before me it's in the same vein of early KREATOR !! Classic & killer.
Back to top Go down
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
Metal student
Metal student
Angelcake Adonisus Fox

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 12:05 am

I've listened to it. It's OK, but in my opinion it's nowhere near the quality of their later work.

It isn't the satanic lyrics that bother me (satanism in metal has never bothered me......I like Morbid Angel, for Christ's sake!). The problem is when they seem to focus on nothing BUT Satanism, a formula that almost all of the other Black metal bands followed after that (Sodom was originally a Black Metal band). That's why when it comes to Black Metal, I prefer Immortal. 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 12:30 am

To me Satanic lyrics are not to be taken anymore seriously than a movie
like "Dawn of the Dead" so they just enhance the dark evil musical theme that the band is putting across in this form of music. I have no problems with any of it. I listen to it and enjoy it but I'm not going go dig up a corpse because of it insane
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 12:42 am

krokus wrote:
Sacrifice wrote:

Me to. Primitive metal. Their early demos were cool too. I always compare those early recordings with the TORMENTOR demos(pre-KREATOR). Raw, violent early black/thrash metal.
you said it brother 🤘

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 1:39 am

I had everything they did in the 80's on record up until Agent Orange (which seemed to fly under my radar for some odd reason). In any event SODOM got lost in the shuffle for me around 1990 (just like DESTRUCTION for some reason). It's strange because I continued on with KREATOR (into the first part of the 90's, anyway). With that said, I have never heard anything post-80's from SODOM. A friend of mine tells me that they continued putting out quality albums, but like I said, I've never heard anything after the '88 live album. Of those 80's releases, I probably favor Persecution Mania best. That album saw a very noticeable growth in talent from '86's Obsessed By Cruelty. It's like they had finally "arrived" in '87, ya know? "Nuclear Winter" was awesome!! I did like the early edge and rawness of the first 2 albums, though. I once read an interview where Chuck Schuldiner stated that he loved Persecution Mania.

Last edited by George on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 2:55 am

George wrote:
A friend of mine tells me that they continued putting out quality albums

So true!

I like In the Sign Of Evil and Obsessed By Cruelty alot because of the rawness and brutal music despite of the bad production.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 8:25 am

awillis50 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
stormspell wrote:

ult

See bands like Iced Earth and even Metallica have ruined the whole Thrashy rawness thing for me. However I guess Kill em All and a bit of that raw edge to it.

Kill 'Em All had a killer raw edge. Few albums have that same edge and that youthful energy and delivery that Kill 'Em All had. Vengeance Rising's "Human Sacrifice" is one of the few I think that match it both for intensity and delivery, as well as songwriting.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 8:40 am

mc666 wrote:
krokus wrote:
Sacrifice wrote:

you said it brother 🤘

HAIL TO YOU!!!!!!! 🤘 🤘 🤘
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?   How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How much of Sodom-In The Sign Of Evil can you stand?
Page 1 of 1