Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Posers?

Go down 
+16
Stender
rattpoison
ultmetal
TheGooch
MetalGuy71
7thSecond
Wargod
Fat Freddy
DallasBlack
Smindas
EvyMetal
Tall Tyrion
Vordul
mc666
spiritoradio
White_Mage
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 7:06 pm

I hate the wearing of band shirts only as some quirky retro 'ironic' fashion statement, rather than showing your love for that band and its music.

Rock n' Roll ain't coca-cola, its not a label to wear like nike or gap or whatever third world country exploiting multi-national super giant. Its better than all that.

I recently saw someone wearing a bright yellow pop art shirt with a picture of Richey James and Nicky Wire from the Manic Street Preachers on it, i doubt he even knew who they were. It made me sad thinking about one of my tragic hero's Richey and all he fought and suffered for, and now he's been reduced to some disposable fashion item. Everything he was against. Pfft culture sluts.

Maybe i'm too precious.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 1:51 pm

Actually, yeah, if Richey Edwards was around today, he would be mortified by people wearing a shirt of him as a retro fashion statement.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 6:44 pm

Its funny because when you make fun of something like nu-metal or emo or whatever for being trendy and say the music you listen to is hardcore or the real thing, good chances are the music you call the real thing was trendy about 25 years ago, the only difference is that the old trend of music isnt gay. So yeah were all posers.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 7:20 pm

I actually think things have improved on this front in the last decade. So many genres of music and bands have had a resurgence that I think at least some of the respect they get is genuine. Things that were thought to be passe have shown staying power.
I grew up in a trendy town (for music at least), Minneapolis; and there were people who wouldn't even talk to me if I had the wrong t-shirt on during the early alternative 90's. But now I think people do respect older music more, even if that respect is often sadly superficial and perhaps trendy in it's own right. But it's a pretty silly subject to worry about in the long run.
I admit that I'm a poser sometimes when it comes to music post 2000. My enthusiasm is genuine, but my budget and attention span aren't always up to knowing what I'm talking about anymore. I do try.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 7:28 pm

Yeah as far as the "blabber mouth kids" or the "youtube kids" are concerned I'm a total poser just because I like slipknot and trivium and like other styles of music like swing and techno. I just don't understand why liking certain bands makes me "not metal" or whatever. Trivium for example are i band i like and the songs they write sound totally metal to me i mean thrashing riffs sweep picked solos blastbeats lyrics about rebellion. whats not metal there? Last time I checked metal was about uniting and celeabrating our love for this music not isolating your self to be a "true" metal-head

IMO if you love metal your a metalhead in my book
Back to top Go down

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 7:46 pm

Trivium, no matter what people say, is a straight up metal band. However, the vocals mask that on the first two albums.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 8:08 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Trivium, no matter what people say, is a straight up metal band. However, the vocals mask that on the first two albums.

I completly agree
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 3:39 pm

Being that I played in Thrash bands in LA in the early 80's while everyone else was looking like chicks. The word "poser" means something different to me. If you were hanging out on the Strip (Hollywood) or playing one of the clubs there, alot of dudes would be dressed to the 9's with the "boof to the roof" and garment resemblein' a 20 dollar hooker. BUT, they were not in a band or much less a musician. That is what "poser" means to me. My .02
Back to top Go down

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 3:50 pm

James B. wrote:
Being that I played in Thrash bands in LA in the
early 80's while everyone else was looking like chicks. The word
"poser" means something different to me. If you were hanging out on the
Strip (Hollywood) or playing one of the clubs there, alot of dudes
would be dressed to the 9's with the "boof to the roof" and garment
resemblein' a 20 dollar hooker. BUT, they were not in a band or much
less a musician. That is what "poser" means to me. My .02

lol!

Those were the days, eh? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 3:53 pm

I remember in the late 80s and beginning of the 90s they called POSERS to glam bands and their fans(nowadays HAIR bands would be the term). Specialy the thrashers were shouting that very much. I never carred about it because i always had a half glam /half thrash look and listen to both styles. Still do.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 8:00 pm

i don't like the word poser, i prefer "deleted due to content" for those who think there cool because they play guitar hero (and yet have no idea how to even hold a real guitar), wear ac/dc shirts while they listin to nothing but rap, and think that that metal is nothing slipknot clones.
they really boil my blood
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 12:50 pm

...oh dear. I think I'll keep it simple - there's nothing wrong with playing Guitar Hero if you don't know how to hold a real guitar. That's at least some of the reasoning behind the games.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 2:44 pm

rattpoison wrote:

Maybe i'm too precious.

Now that's impossible. greedy :defleppard:
Back to top Go down

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 6:47 pm

There are styles of music I don't consider real metal and cultivate a bad taste
in my mouth ( nu , core, emo ) I don't consider these people metal heads if that's all they listen to but on the other hand I know a lot of people who like stuff I hate and vica versa & that's not what I judge them on for the most part ( though I must admit someone who digs what I call real metal gets points ). I do consider some people posers but it's not for liking bands I'm not into.

For example my work mate Brad trys way too hard to be metal and doesn't even have a clue. He put on a big
big hot topics fashion show when he goes to shows ( wearing stuff that is thinks is metal and isn't to try and fit in and instead stick out like a sore thumb lolo ) of bands he's only heard a song or two of just before the show trying to be cool pretending like he's a metal expert . It's not real with him . He listens to cds for a week and than that's it throws them out ....time for the next fashion trend ( band ) he thinks it makes him hip and rebellious

I think that people who pretend to like metal just because they think it gives them that certain outlaw chic or whatever are pretty lame.
That goes against everything metal means to me.

So yeah posers are really stupid Posers? - Page 2 927150

Last edited by on Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 7:34 pm

ya the whole Guitar Hero/Rockband generation kinda makes me mad, i mean im happy that their trying to get metal out there but i also kinda bugs me because there making it look easy or even trendy to be in a band. their making it look like a game which makes me mad becasue a band is easier said than done. now all these kids on youtube think their all that because they can play guns and roses on expert, dont get me wrong the game is fun to a point but its annoy when kids come up to you and ask if your band can play any guitar hero songs
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 9:57 pm

PeyoteWereWolf wrote:

I think that people who pretend to like metal just because they think it gives them that certain outlaw chic or whatever are pretty lame.
That goes against everything metal means to me.

So yeah poser are stupid Posers? - Page 2 927150

I know I guy who is like that. He almost ruined Hammerfall for me by going so nuts for them.
Back to top Go down

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 11:23 pm

Who cares if they're posers, it's not your problem, does it really affect you?

I don't know smurf poo about electronic music and I wear DJ Tiesto shirts all the time, and I'm not really killing anyone by doing it.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 11:25 pm

pijuyo wrote:

AMEN BROTHER
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 12:11 am

pijuyo wrote:

And if I want to gripe about something on a message board does it affect you?
Back to top Go down

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 1:59 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:
pijuyo wrote:

Yeah that always cracks me up lol! There is always a certain element of people on the internet who while trying to act as though they are so much more tolerant than thou are they themselves intolerant of others differing veiw points because it isn't as accepting as their veiw. scratch
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 11:43 am

PeyoteWereWolf wrote:
Tall Tyrion wrote:
pijuyo wrote:
Who cares
if they're posers, it's not your problem, does it really affect
you?

Yeah that always cracks me up lol!
There is always a certain element of people on the internet who while
trying to act as though they are so much more tolerant than thou are
they themselves intolerant of others differing veiw points because it
isn't as accepting as their veiw. scratch

My point exactly. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Posers? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posers?   Posers? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Posers?